0 0%
123 Last

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

I voted for the first option; I don't like it, but it's the truth.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Because of our need to create a cosmological map of the universe, which religion can help provide controversially through teaching and revelation, I voted Never.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Oops, I meant to vote for the second one.

Seems like a good explanation. But I see it a little bit differently; spirituality and religion are two different things. They're two different relationships with the divine. Spirituality is an inner individual experience and religion is an external collective practice- very Fi and Fe in nature (though not to be used in typing, mind you). Spirituality can be much more rational than religion, and the best religion is one which can be tailored to individual experience (like Buddhism). I think spirituality can be completely compatible with atheism. So I would say both are replacing religion, and rightly so. We are moving towards intellectual independence.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Oops, I meant to vote for the second one.

Seems like a good explanation. But I see it a little bit differently; spirituality and religion are two different things. They're two different relationships with the divine. Spirituality is an inner individual experience and religion is an external collective practice- very Fi and Fe in nature (though not to be used in typing, mind you). Spirituality can be much more rational than religion, and the best religion is one which can be tailored to individual experience (like Buddhism). I think spirituality can be completely compatible with atheism. So I would say both are replacing religion, and rightly so. We are moving towards intellectual independence.
    I agree to some extent, but it is possible that there is a biological explanation for the phenomena and if we one day figure out what that is and can control it turning it on or off, then what implications would that have? Perhaps we'll be in the same position we always have, namely faith being necessary for belief, but what does faith mean in a world where we can turn belief on and off?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I agree to some extent, but it is possible that there is a biological explanation for the phenomena and if we one day figure out what that is and can control it turning it on or off, then what implications would that have? Perhaps we'll be in the same position we always have, namely faith being necessary for belief, but what does faith mean in a world where we can turn belief on and off?
    We can't turn belief on and off, unless we turn off our conscious thought process. Which would be tragic.

The first religion was when a prehistoric man buried his buddy (or child or mate). His "fear and uncertainty" was the same fear and uncertainty that exists to this day. No amount of civilization and convenience alleviates it (it can be ignored however.. but not solved). It might've even started before that. Maybe the first religion didn't start with uncertainty, but with wonder (admittedly, science is a great contributor here too).. when he lit a campfire and stared into the stars. That could have been an early spiritual experience. And still can be.

In any case, these are two things that will never escape mortals. It doesn't matter how developed they become. Who gives a shit if Joe gets a shiny new fridge, and Jane can take a shower every day. Woopee. They still might find some need for religion. Religion is an existential issue, even if it was never called that. Some are more explicitly existential. Maybe those would remain, while the merely ritualistic wouldn't. Jesus addressed our relation with the whole and eternity, issues of one's identity with that. Siddhartha became Buddha because he set out on a quest for the same thing. People don't embrace religiousity out of some deficit of basic physical needs. The questions are bigger than that. Maybe the structures and followers surrounding religions have more petty concerns, but that's not how religious thinking itself begins. Even Einstein still wouldn't call himself an atheist (but a Spinozan), because he embraced this side of himself. Carl Sagan was an agnostic, and had the same concerns. He called it humanism, but he addressed similar things.

MBTI
    XXFP

Atheism is just as certain a thought, based in faith, as theism. Replacing one with the other isn't a significant change in how one thinks.

Agnosticism isn't so much a belief as it is a process.

---

With both theism and atheism, you approach uncertainty by coming up with an answer to believe in.

With agnosticism, you approach uncertainty by realizing you don't have an answer. You deal with this by learning to accept not knowing.

From there you may find answers, or you may not.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

100 years from now

Most respected scientists start to openly reject the religious premises.
    Students worldwide are heavily influenced by that.
    The number of open atheist politicians increase.
    Elders wonder what went wrong with society, but there's no going back.

150 years from now

Religion starts to be openly associated with a low IQ, making young people much less likely to become religious. US is now 50% atheist.
    Extremist muslims are diminished, as the bright young generation rejects the idea of a heaven with 72 virgins as a reward for killing people.

200 years from now

Religious people start to get bullied. This situation is now reversed, and the hardcore atheists, now a pretty strong group, blame religion for every problem in the world.

300 years from now

Religious people only exist in isolated communities, as society no longer takes openly religious people seriously.

400 years from now

Civilized world is entirely atheist.
    Current generation doesn't have a theist x atheist dichotomy (it's a no-brainer, as clear as the fact that the world is not plan), and their books portray our society as being a bit less primitive than pre-Columbian civilizations (keep in mind that 400 years of technology advancing at the current pace would make us look pre historical).

500 years from now

No one talks about religion, except in History classes. Current generation doesn't view religion as a taboo, so people don't have an automatic rejection to the idea.

Many people start developing a healthy curiosity about religion.

Then, out of the blue, an eloquent ENFJ starts selling the idea that being religious is the new cool. The speech "Our society is corrupted because people no longer believe in God" sounds innovative, and people buy into it.

And the cycle repeats.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Never. Atheism is a minority view and if anything, organized religion seems to be gaining momentum.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639