• Never

23 65.71%
  • whenever the singularity occurs

0 0%
First 56789 Last

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah really. Even standard figures grossly overestimate the number of religious people since they rely on who has been baptized.
    Yeah. If you ask nearly all my family and friends, they would say they are Catholic on a census. How many of them practice? A tiny number.

Even more if you go to Scandinavia, where it's nearly impossible to find a religious person.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Like I said, religion won't end unless you oppress them. When people take one step further than your sentiment above, and decide they should control and/or meddle with what they hate (the same goes the other way around towards atheists). When they think, "This bugs me so much, I want it out of the world." That's the main idea behind "cultural revolutions" and whatnot.

If you think people are going to just automatically move towards one path (as if we're all being directed towards some higher state of being), then that's not science either. More like pseudoscience, "transhuman" bullshit. Evolution is always an experiment. It goes down many paths.
    I figured their genes would get forced out of the gene pool over time as the anti-science bullshit would mean none of them get degrees in hot fields like physics, engineering, etc (aside from a few intj stragglers who are able to compartmentalize their beliefs unlike any other type)
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Yeah, I more or less agree. David Sloan Wilson (an evolutionary biologist and professor of Biological Sciences and Anthropology at Binghamton University) argues something similar in his book The Neighborhood Project: Using Evolution to Improve My City, One Block at a Time. though his focus is not religion as much as it is the evolutionary basis for social cohesion/networks. He also notes that similar benefits can be achieved through other similar organizations such as community organizations (school, work, extracurricular activities programs like sports, fraternal organizations, charitable organizations, etc [note: he does not argue for those specifically, but sees all of them as part of the larger whole of society, the examples were mine]). Personally, I don't see why other similar organizations (therapists instead of confession, joining together for charitable work instead of to sit in a room on a sunday morning, etc) couldn't or shouldn't replace those kinds of activities. I think in time they will, because they will be more beneficial to the individual and the whole.

Here is an interesting link to an interview he had where he spoke about 7 rules of prosociality that he came up with through observation of wasps and water striders and how they can be used in cities to create richer communities.

That is a very good question. Basically, I am asking when will we take organized religion as seriously as sacrificing goats to Zeus. You know, scratch that because I am not opposed to groups of people coming together and having abstract experiences that we don't quite understand that might be connecting us to some higher power. In fact, I think stuff like that can be a benefit for many, but I hate namby pamby bullshit religion that is just there to make everyone feel like they're "doing their part" without actually having to do anything worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    This is the mentality of society--not religion. Apathy is a disease that ravages our world, imo. This happens regardless of religion existing or not.
    Reminds me of this:

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot, you are lukewarm. I wish that you were either cold or hot for me! But because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will vomit you from my mouth."

Cookie for whoever knows the source (no Google, I will know if you have cheated).

I figured their genes would get forced out of the gene pool over time as the anti-science bullshit would mean none of them get degrees in hot fields like physics, engineering, etc (aside from a few intj stragglers who are able to compartmentalize their beliefs unlike any other type)
    It's not genes. Every human brain is more or less similar (sad but true). Our differences (and faults, if you will) are a matter of choices, of free thought, experience, dreams, complex conceptual thinking, etc.. Things that rest in some.. immaterial plane of "ideas". Physically though, we all have more in common with each other than we do lizards and mammals (other mammals beside us, that is). Many of us resort to our basest impulses, but we all have potential. Our more retarded thoughts are devoted to territorial considerations (the reptillian brain, basically), but religion is not part of that inferior genetic makeup. Religion and science both are something unique (as far as we know) to the human experience. You're essentially wanting to get rid of a segment of humanity that are, in many ways, reflective of us as advanced (albeit strange) creatures. As if you're on the outside looking in, some superior "post human" who is above all of it.

I'd suggest to learn to live with people. If you have to have enemies, weed out the people with reptillian brains (many of which are religious.. but many of which are just vapid people who live for nothing except dominating others. Go get in a fight with drunk marine or something. Maybe a guido. You'd be doing everyone a favor. But the average religious person? Not so much). These are truly "genetically inferior". They've chosen to throw away any higher thoughts, and do nothing but pump their chests and peacock, like beasts.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

I suspect religion will always exist because we're all to some degree aware that empirical explanations can only describe reality as we experience it, so the question of what reality is at its highest level will be forever unanswerable. Many people will be unable to accept that and attribute to reality whatever figments of their imaginations are appropriate to the time and place where they find themselves.

I suppose it's not impossible that man develops to a point where he has the intelligence needed to spend life in this suspension of the desire for concrete explanations, but we'd still need psychology to develop to such a point as to satisfy many of the roles religion still plays for many people.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

(aside from a few intj stragglers who are able to compartmentalize their beliefs unlike any other type)
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

This is because, unlike many others, we do not confuse beliefs with rational explanations.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This is because, unlike many others, we do not confuse beliefs with rational explanations.
    Magic 8 ball says try again
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Magic 8 ball says try again
    What is your theory, then?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I don't try to either. I leave a little room for mystery. It's a little box I throw a few things in. My real "belief" is that I have rights to this box. I can also give a rational explanation why I have rights to the box, but not what's in it.