• In the next 1,000,000+ years

0 0%
  • Never

23 65.71%
  • whenever the singularity occurs

0 0%
First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Infperson View Post
    Just to say, to be a christian you have to belief in Adam and Eve, otherwise Jesus died for no reason. He died for our sins. What sins? - The sins that the first people did when they ate an apple from the tree of knowledge. Now through Jesus people can go to paradise again. That's the christian story. If someone beliefs in Evolution and in Jesus their ideology would get caught in contradictions. My point is that many people are a lot less theists than they think.
    Your understanding of what you have to believe to be a Christian is woefully misinformed.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

never- religion has a flexible enough definition that there will always be something that people believe in, even if it is the power of science
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    It seems that people turn to religion as a salve for the difficulties and uncertainties of their lives. In social democracies, there is less fear and uncertainty about the future because social welfare programs provide a safety net and better health care means that fewer people can expect to die young. People who are less vulnerable to the hostile forces of nature feel more in control of their lives and less in need of religion.[/url]
    While I think this is true, in that a lot of people [perhaps understandably] turn to religion because of difficulties in their lives, and I think it can therefore provide a large psychological benefit, I also view everything in a rather cyclical manner. I think it's why I like sci fi too. I think religions will come and go over the centuries, as humanity/society ebbs and flows from one philosophical extreme to the other.

So I do think religion, whether institutionalized or more personal, will always be a part of humanity; it may not cover a wide breadth but there will always be pockets of it even when the majority don't believe; then it'll shift to the majority believing and minority not, and so on. New religions will come into being, others will fade.

I'm not even sure I'd place emphasis on education vs. not. More the prevailing societal philosophies. (Yes, I'm saying that most people are going to follow the ebbs of society (i.e. Smart Phones), without putting a whole lot of thought into what they are doing or believing or investing in or caring about (to OP, this can go both ways, towards religion or towards atheism). )
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    never- religion has a flexible enough definition that there will always be something that people believe in, even if it is the power of science
    That is not belief, it is acceptance.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    some believe, some accept... I've met people who swing either way- plenty of people don't understand gravity but accept that it keeps us from flying into space, for instance

and who says that religion isn't accepted by some as opposed to believed?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

I read her post as meaning a religious type of worldview informed by science. Not that science itself is a belief.

Some forms of pantheism, for example, are open to being expressed in scientific terms.. yet they have a sense of spirituality or mythology to them. Or something similar to Star Trek's Vulcan religion (which is never actually described in detail afaik, but you get the idea)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

some believe, some accept... I've met people who swing either way- plenty of people don't understand gravity but accept that it keeps us from flying into space, for instance

and who says that religion isn't accepted by some as opposed to believed?
    I do. "To accept" is to treat a claim or argument as true based on supporting evidence. "To believe" is to treat it as true without evidence. This is the essential difference between science and religion. Science does not operate on faith, and beliefs are unconstrained by the requirement for scientific validity.

(See also many thoughtful materials on the nature of science at www.sticksandshadows.com.)
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Replace religion in what? Most people's lives? All people's lives? Civilization? Law and order? Governments?

As far as I can ever tell religion will not die. It may ebb and flow... and many types of religions go extinct every day.. But religion as a whole will not die.

Besides.. Has anyone noticed how much influence religion has on a person? It is the difference between junkies getting clean, wars vs peace (the crusades being the major example of that naturally), helping 3rd world countries, people crying or completely breaking down at funerals, the way they act, view others, treat others.. Almost every facet of one's life can be entirely influenced by having religion or a lack thereof. I would be a bit scared to see everyone thinking the exact same way.. Variety is a key element in survival.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I do. "To accept" is to treat a claim or argument as true based on supporting evidence. "To believe" is to treat it as true without evidence. This is the essential difference between science and religion. Science does not operate on faith, and beliefs are unconstrained by the requirement for scientific validity.

(See also many thoughtful materials on the nature of science at www.sticksandshadows.com.)
    I'm basing my assessment on the average person here, not the well educated ones

most people can't understand the proof behind a lot of the basic laws of how things work- I don't understand some of them, but then again, I didn't ever really study them- I trust that they work though. Anything that a person doesn't thoroughly understand but accepts is a leap of faith- who knows if scientists are playing a trick on the less educated with some explanations

I'll have to check out the site though, looks like it could be interesting

Anything that a person doesn't thoroughly understand but accepts is a leap of faith- who knows if scientists are playing a trick on the less educated with some explanations
    Well.. if science claims anything, it always gives you the means to reproduce the results. So it's no trick (in some cases, it's impossible to recreate experiments for the layman.. unless you have a multibillion dollar lab and the samples they worked with, but... I'm sure if you "begged" enough, some university might let you observe).