User Tag List

12311 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Default Question. How can a rational person be theistic and not believe in fairies?

Why do you believe in an immaterial nonphysical God-being, which can't be observed through scientific investigation, but you dismiss the idea of (mostly) immaterial, (mostly) nonphysical nature spirits called fairies which can't be observed through scientific investigation?

Kind of a rhetorical question, but if there's some logical justification in your mind please state it.

If I say I believe in fairies can you prove me wrong? Can I employ those same methods to prove you wrong?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I believe there could be certain forces of energy flowing throughout nature, but I wouldn't give them anthropomorphized qualities, but even assuming they have them, are they good?

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical of this kind of stuff, as back in the old days, people dreamed they were held captive by fairies, and now people claim to be victims of alien abduction!

These spiritual forces clearly manifest to our own delusion and detriment, as they haven't done anything revolutionary to help man heal his planet, yet they mess with our minds.

Some people who professed Christianity continued believing in fairies for some time (they thought of them as demons).

That's kind of off the point though.

Others wouldn't believe in fairies because their existence was tied to unexplained phenomena that, at this point, aren't a concern on people's minds (fairies for example were agents of trickery and malice for some). Now that people aren't as superstitious about "trickery", they lost interest in explaining the cause of it. When it comes to gods, the domain is much larger than fairies (gods are usually involved in the act of all creation, life, the universe, etc). People are still interested in those things, and in turn, the causes behind them. As long as the question remains, the answers will be over the place.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Why do you believe in an immaterial nonphysical God-being, which can't be observed through scientific investigation, but you dismiss the idea of (mostly) immaterial, (mostly) nonphysical nature spirits called fairies which can't be observed through scientific investigation?

Kind of a rhetorical question, but if there's some logical justification in your mind please state it.

If I say I believe in fairies can you prove me wrong? Can I employ those same methods to prove you wrong?
    Because we as humans don't understand the reason or laws within which our universe came into existence and operates, and in fact conventional logical falls down at that point, as shown by quantum physics. But we do understand the physical and logical laws within this universe, which discount the existence of the "supernatural" in the kind of sense you mean.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Maybe the idea of god is really general, so it's easier to believe in "some power" overseeing the universe, whereas fairies are a quite specific description.

Plus, a lot of people aren't able to imagine a world that does its thing without an overseer to guide it, whereas fairies are relatively purposeless, and aren't really needed to "explain" any confusing phenomena.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP

A lot of the arguments for God would not reduce to mythical creatures - first mover and so forth come to mind immediately.

4 TPs with identical answers.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Rationality alone has its limits but, if fairies did exist and were more than cute beings who aren't able to do anything useful for humanity, I think the world would be much more fair and cooperative.

And if they do exist and are able to do something useful for humanity, then they are doing a terrible job, so there's little reason to care about their insignificance.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Because we as humans don't understand the reason or laws within which our universe came into existence and operates, and in fact conventional logical falls down at that point, as shown by quantum physics. But we do understand the physical and logical laws within this universe, which discount the existence of the "supernatural" in the kind of sense you mean.
    So next question: is God supernatural? If so its existence is discounted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Maybe the idea of god is really general, so it's easier to believe in "some power" overseeing the universe, whereas fairies are a quite specific description.

Plus, a lot of people aren't able to imagine a world that does its thing without an overseer to guide it, whereas fairies are relatively purposeless, and aren't really needed to "explain" any confusing phenomena.
    This is a psychological motivation, which though probably correct, is not a logical justification for the argument for a God like thing's existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Rationality alone has its limits but, if fairies did exist and were more than cute beings who aren't able to do anything useful for humanity, I think the world would be much more fair and cooperative.

And if they do exist and are able to do something useful for humanity, then they are doing a terrible job, so there's little reason to care about their insignificance.
    Possibly true as well, but once again this is a motivation for a belief, not a justification for it.

So I have more of a use for fairies than God. By your reasoning my belief is equally justified.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    A lot of the arguments for God would not reduce to mythical creatures - first mover and so forth come to mind immediately.
    Depends on how you define mythical creatures. If you mean mythical as being created in human minds as part of myth, then many would argue that God fits that description. It's kind of begging the question. But you might be on to something depending on how you frame it. I'd be interested in further explanation. I'm familiar with Descartes's ontological argument. Although I'm still not sure this holds because someone could conceivably attribute all those properties to fairies.

Good, getting closer.

Edit: Interesting fact- for the early Irish many gods were fairies.
    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Some people who professed Christianity continued believing in fairies for some time (they thought of them as demons).

That's kind of off the point though.

Others wouldn't believe in fairies because their existence was tied to unexplained phenomena that, at this point, aren't a concern on people's minds (fairies for example were agents of trickery and malice for some). Now that people aren't as superstitious about "trickery", they lost interest in explaining the cause of it. When it comes to gods, the domain is much larger than fairies (gods are usually involved in the act of all creation, life, the universe, etc). People are still interested in those things, and in turn, the causes behind them. As long as the question remains, the answers will be over the place.
    Interesting explanation. I agree a lot of people used them to explain things they couldn't explain; but the same could be said for God. We use God essentially for everything we can't explain. The difference is that (as people above have indicated) people have more of a use currently for a belief in God than in fairies. Actually, before Christianization belief in fairies was much more than an explanation for the unexplainable. The early Irish saw them as ancestors of their race, just as some Viking mythology told of gods being ancestors of the Norse.

You're asking people to justify beliefs? How about if they brandished an axe and stated "Because I said so." That's the best option.

There's no way to justify a belief. All anyone can do here is talk about motivations. Not justification. If there was a way to prove it, then it wouldn't be a belief.