User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 117

  1. #71
    Junior Member WheresMyBunnies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Why do you believe in an immaterial nonphysical God-being, which can't be observed through scientific investigation, but you dismiss the idea of (mostly) immaterial, (mostly) nonphysical nature spirits called fairies which can't be observed through scientific investigation?
    Faith is to be of use to a person: based on deductions about reality as much as belief in something beyond our own subjective nature.

    Therefore:

    f I say I believe in fairies can you prove me wrong?
    No

    Can I employ those same methods to prove you wrong?
    No

  2. #72
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    It's funny that people can think critically about the so called "existence of God" but they cant do the same about the economy and distribution of wealth.

  3. #73
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It's funny that people can think critically about the so called "existence of God" but they cant do the same about the economy and distribution of wealth.
    Yes, that would be nice! Humans really aren't generally very rational.

    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Isn't the question more like, "How can a rational person believe in fairies?"
    Proving my point. I think it's more rational than being religious. Prove me wrong.

  4. #74
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    were talking about humans here. we are irrational creatures. a rational human is an oxymoron. the intellectualism of issues, objective processing of information into logically sound response are contextualized by the fact we are still living, breathing, barely functioning animals. from what i've seen during my short life, all people have moments or behavior which contradictory to their beliefs, truths - humans are not robots. logic is limited in humans. and i can understand when those limits are reached for someone to leap into faith. i, however, am agnostic.
    Yes, all humans make mistakes in using and applying logic. To say we are not rational because of this makes as much sense as saying Albert Pujols is not a baseball player because he doesn't always get the out and his batting avg is far from unity.

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Ah, just to answer this: Because humans are rationalizing creatures, not rational. Ultimately we believe in something then justify. Because of this top-down approach, we get all sorts of inconsistencies in our beliefs. I'd go as far as to say that we are all guilty of this. It's really hard for us to adjust our opinions "rationally" after the fact.
    If this is so, the difficulty lies primarily in the all-too-common reluctance to do so. Once undertaken with an open mind (i.e. assumptions identified and preconceptions abandoned), it is relatively straightforward to do so.

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Interesting. I agree, our culture doesn't have myths anymore and that's why it's hard to understand the way of thinking. We (Americans) have Native American mythology, but most people aren't really aware of what it is; that would be a good thing for a lot of people to explore.
    Not only do we not have myths, we do a poor job of using ritual.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  5. #75
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536
    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    our culture doesn't have myths anymore.
    When we live inside a myth, it becomes invisible.

    For instance, if we are American, the myth of Americanism is entirely invisible.

    And if the myth is invisible, the means of propagation, i.e., propaganda, is also invisible.

    In fact the myth of Americanism has the greatest and most successful propaganda system the world has ever seen. And it is called Hollywood and advertising.

  6. #76
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    If this is so, the difficulty lies primarily in the all-too-common reluctance to do so. Once undertaken with an open mind (i.e. assumptions identified and preconceptions abandoned), it is relatively straightforward to do so.
    I believe it to be the way the human mind works. We process information through our emotional centers before they are passed to our "rational" minds; further than that, there is no rational voice driving us, only a set of heuristic processes that sit below awareness. Most of what passes for rational thought is a rule-based consensus on what should be. In a (sub-)culture in which it is social acceptance comes from being "rational", we do not become more rational intrinsically, only that our irrational filter is geared about being "rational". People develop a code around how they should act and that code drives our decision making (and interpretation of the world).

    Which isn't to say I disagree with you, only that I don't believe it is as simple as "reluctance"; there are huge social and cultural pressures that shape the way we think. There is a lot to the argument against anti-intellectualism (ie: in the states, you get a much more polarized view of intelligence, education and so forth. This actively shapes sub-culture norms to the point of actually changing the way these divisions, often drawn on economic lines, shape the people in them.)

  7. #77
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    The Rituals of Americanism

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Not only do we not have myths, we do a poor job of using ritual.
    When we live inside a myth, it becomes invisible. It is only when we stand outside the myth, does it become visible. So the myth of Americanism is invisible to Americans but visible to Australians.

    And just as the myth of Americanism is invisible to Americans, so the rituals of Americanism are also invisible. Hey, you only have to 'take me to the ballgame' to immerse me in a ritual of Americanism.

    But there are so many rituals of Americanism, I feel embarrassed to enumerate them to you, an American.

  8. #78
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    When we live inside a myth, it becomes invisible. It is only when we stand outside the myth, does it become visible. So the myth of Americanism is invisible to Americans but visible to Australians.

    And just as the myth of Americanism is invisible to Americans, so the rituals of Americanism are also invisible. Hey, you only have to 'take me to the ballgame' to immerse me in a ritual of Americanism.

    But there are so many rituals of Americanism, I feel embarrassed to enumerate them to you, an American.
    I didn't say Americans had no rituals. Read again.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  9. #79
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I didn't say Americans had no rituals. Read again.
    Hey, we are talking about fairies and you want to have an argument with me.

    Well, you said,

    Not only do we not have myths, we do a poor job of using ritual.
    So I said, rather than not having myths, you live inside a myth called Americanism which is invisible to you.

    And now I say, rather than doing a poor job at ritual, you are masters of ritual, whether its 'take me to the ballgame' or the never ending stream of revenge movies from Hollywood. Why, just this morning on the page of my newspaper was a picture of a young, healthy American women waving an assault rifle above her head at a public rally for that great American ritual, enshrined in your Constitution, 'the right to bear arms'.

    But the list of great American rituals goes on and on. I can only think you are interpreting the word 'ritual' to mean something archane from a traditional spoken society. But open your anthropological eyes and look around you and see how successful you are at ritual today.

  10. #80
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And now I say, rather than doing a poor job at ritual, you are masters of ritual, whether its 'take me to the ballgame' or the never ending stream of revenge movies from Hollywood. Why, just this morning on the page of my newspaper was a picture of a young, healthy American women waving an assault rifle above her head at a public rally for that great American ritual, enshrined in your Constitution, 'the right to bear arms'.

    But the list of great American rituals goes on and on. I can only think you are interpreting the word 'ritual' to mean something archane from a traditional spoken society. But open your anthropological eyes and look around you and see how successful you are at ritual today.
    We are masters at ritual, just as we are masters at food. Our ritual is the equivalent of fast-food: ubiquitous, cleverly packaged and sold, but with limited nutritional value. This is what I mean by doing a poor job at it. We do not make focused and deliberate use of it to aid and enrich our lives (even when we think we do).
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2014, 09:45 AM
  2. [MBTItm] How can I tell if I'm and INFP or ISFP?
    By ItsAlwaysSunny in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 03:45 PM
  3. How can you distinguish between Ne-Fi and Fi-Ne?
    By FalseHeartDothKnow in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 09:47 AM
  4. The joy of being unreachable and not connected
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-14-2009, 05:56 PM
  5. How can a young person become a hero/ine?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 10:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO