User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Because people are dogmatic and think they have the only right answer?
    I admit, sometimes I think this, but only when there is a possibility of it being true.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ

@Devil Flamingo

Guu actually reminds me a lot of a faerie. Shes physical, but a shapeshifter that isn't confined to dimensions. Nobody really knows the extent of her powers.

At one point she's chopping vegetables at lightning speed and 'accidentally' chops her whole hand up into slices, probably just to freak out Hale (she likes to mess with people from time to time) and you could see that she doesn't have anything internal, just the same on the inside as the outside like a solid body.

Then she picks up her hand slices and puts them back together instantly, freaking Hale out even more. Later she swallows everyone in the class except Hale, hale begs her to let them back out and she does, and everyone is unharmed and thinks they just fell asleep. Even if she chews on things she mysteriously doesn't destroy them and actually has some swallowed people living in a dimension somehow connected to her body.

Guu could easily be a faerie, or some kind of god or demon. Shes fictional but it makes me think.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I have never understood why the highlighted is so difficult for people to accept. It is a crucial understanding.
    Keep in mind that it's relatively new that religion is not a codified set of behavior. Secularism is relatively new; myth stories (fables?), like the bible, are parables and have tended to define society's code. The same goes for most of the big religions - certainly Islam and Judaism, and even ignoring Confucianism (which is debatedably not a religion), most eastern religions got socially codified.

Err, all that aside, the essence of myth doesn't really change the underlying beliefs or principles.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Well I think I'm a rational creature. If you don't want to be that's fine with me. I use reason consistently in my life and include religious matters. I don't see why they are some special exception. I may have mystical beliefs, but they don't contradict the use of reason. I guess I'm more of a rational than the NT's in this thread.

Unless you want to provide your reasoning for the existence of God, and how it is different than possible arguments in favor of the existence of fairies.

What most of you are saying is that an unscientifically justifiable belief is fine with you if it makes you feel good.
    You think you are rational beings but in actuality your behavior and your beliefs probably contradict each other more often than not.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Keep in mind that it's relatively new that religion is not a codified set of behavior. Secularism is relatively new; myth stories (fables?), like the bible, are parables and have tended to define society's code. The same goes for most of the big religions - certainly Islam and Judaism, and even ignoring Confucianism (which is debatedably not a religion), most eastern religions got socially codified.

Err, all that aside, the essence of myth doesn't really change the underlying beliefs or principles.
    I am not sure what you mean here. I see a difference between someone who believes that the Noah's Ark story, for instance, is literal, historical truth; and someone who understands it as a myth and appreciates it in a more metaphorical sense.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I am not sure what you mean here. I see a difference between someone who believes that the Noah's Ark story, for instance, is literal, historical truth; and someone who understands it as a myth and appreciates it in a more metaphorical sense.
    Ah, what I meant is that this concept is new. We used to believe in myths literally - they were part of the social fabric.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

were talking about humans here. we are irrational creatures. a rational human is an oxymoron. the intellectualism of issues, objective processing of information into logically sound response are contextualized by the fact we are still living, breathing, barely functioning animals. from what i've seen during my short life, all people have moments or behavior which contradictory to their beliefs, truths - humans are not robots. logic is limited in humans. and i can understand when those limits are reached for someone to leap into faith. i, however, am agnostic.
    Oh, its
    You

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Ah, what I meant is that this concept is new. We used to believe in myths literally - they were part of the social fabric.
    I think it depended. In a lot of tribal cultures myths were understood partly to explain/describe actual things, but also to symbolically explain truths.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    were talking about humans here. we are irrational creatures. a rational human is an oxymoron. the intellectualism of issues, objective processing of information into logically sound response are contextualized by the fact we are still living, breathing, barely functioning animals. from what i've seen during my short life, all people have moments or behavior which contradictory to their beliefs, truths - humans are not robots. logic is limited in humans. and i can understand when those limits are reached for someone to leap into faith. i, however, am agnostic.
    All this is true, but many people profess to use reason and logic and all that stuff, and yet don't apply it uniformly. I'm not criticizing people who value faith more than reason, only making arbitrary exceptions and having different standards for other people than they have for themselves.

Note: to reiterate, the question was "how" not "why"; although understanding why is helpful.

I think it depended. In a lot of tribal cultures myths were understood partly to explain/describe actual things, but also to symbolically explain truths.
    Kind of Joseph Campbell's point.. we don't live in a tribal culture now, and therefore lack myth (or lack a grasp on it). His deal was to get people in touch with myths again, but ones that transcended the local/tribal (in his mind, there's no way to get back to the older ones per se. That ship has flown).

edit: Wait, I mean ship has sailed. I'm watching too much science fiction lately.

WALMART

Hi, my name is jon and I believe in God. I don't believe in fairies.

Wow, that was easy.