User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 117

  1. #91
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536
    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Well that's kind of true; it's just not a myth in the traditional sense.
    It's parochial to think there are only traditional myths, when there are modern myths as well.

    All it means is that modern myths are invisible to you becaue you live inside them.

  2. #92
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Because I can and do. I recognize what you are describing, and have seen many other like examples. The more one sees, the more one becomes able to see, by learning what to look for.
    All environments, by their nature, are invisible. So it is impossible to extrapolate from what we can see to the invisible.

  3. #93
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536
    Quote Originally Posted by ehcriktic View Post
    Theists believe their existence is reliant upon the existence of God. If we exist than God must, too, exist.

    This reliance is not the case for fairies.

    Also, a question to the very many of you who said that human beings are not rational. What would you say of an irrational human being who says that human beings are not rational?
    But why is God invisible? God is invisible because God is our environment and all environments are invisible until this environment becomes the content of a new environment. And so far God has not become the content of a new environment and so remains invisible.

  4. #94
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's parochial to think there are only traditional myths, when there are modern myths as well.

    All it means is that modern myths are invisible to you becaue you live inside them.
    Invisible to most people. Although you are right in that it's probably impossible to 100% detach from the influence of one's native culture.

  5. #95
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536
    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Invisible to most people. Although you are right in that it's probably impossible to 100% detach from the influence of one's native culture.
    But look in my eyes and see yourself reflected.

    Don't recognise your reflection? Or perhaps you don't like what you see?

  6. #96
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    But look in my eyes and see yourself reflected.

    Don't recognise your reflection? Or perhaps you don't like what you see?
    I don't know what you're getting at.

  7. #97
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    All environments, by their nature, are invisible. So it is impossible to extrapolate from what we can see to the invisible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    But look in my eyes and see yourself reflected.

    Don't recognise your reflection? Or perhaps you don't like what you see?
    You can't have it both ways. Either we can distance ourselves enough from our own environment to see it, or we cannot. It is only because we can that your remarks here have any value. You are correct in identifying observations of true outsiders as helpful in the attempt. It is much harder (though not impossible) to get this perspective on one's own.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  8. #98
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Quite so.

    For example, we can't see the universe because we are inside the universe. So the universe is invisible to us. We can infer properties of the universe, but it remains forever unseen.

    To generalise, this means that any environment is invisible, for when we are in an environment, we can't see it from the outside.

    So Australia is invisible to me as American is invisible to you.

    And as print is becoming the content of the electric media, like right in front of us now, so print is becoming visible but the environment of the electronic media is invisible.
    I agree for the most part, although I am not American and my own culture puzzles me so.

    I do not believe that a countries culture and it's myths are completely hidden from all it's inhabitants, however this depends upon how immersed in that culture an individual is and how objective and final they take their culture to be.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  9. #99
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    But what Godded God?

    Regarding fairies, I'm surprised at the lack of mention of Russel's teapot.
    I ought to call myself an agnostic; but, for all practical purposes, I am an atheist. I do not think the existence of the Christian God any more probable than the existence of the Gods of Olympus or Valhalla. To take another illustration: nobody can prove that there is not between the Earth and Mars a china teapot revolving in an elliptical orbit, but nobody thinks this sufficiently likely to be taken into account in practice. I think the Christian God just as unlikely.[2]
    Conterarguments, starting from those in the Wikipedia article, are also worth a look.
    Philosopher Brian Garvey argues that with regard to the teapot, the analogy fails because the believer and non-believer are simply disagreeing about one item in the universe and may hold in common all other beliefs about the universe, which is not true of the atheist and the theist.
    The literary critic James Wood, without believing in God, says that belief in God "is a good deal more reasonable than belief in a teapot" because God is a "grand and big idea" which "is not analogically disproved by reference to celestial teapots or vacuum cleaners, which lack the necessary bigness and grandeur" and "because God cannot be reified, cannot be turned into a mere thing"

  10. #100
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536
    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I don't know what you're getting at.
    Being inter-subjective, I can see myself in your eyes and you can see yourself in my eyes.

    Babies, for instance, find their sense of self in their mother's eyes. The mother mirrors the self back to the baby.

    And our brain has mirror neurons to do just this.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2014, 09:45 AM
  2. [MBTItm] How can I tell if I'm and INFP or ISFP?
    By ItsAlwaysSunny in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 03:45 PM
  3. How can you distinguish between Ne-Fi and Fi-Ne?
    By FalseHeartDothKnow in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 09:47 AM
  4. The joy of being unreachable and not connected
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-14-2009, 05:56 PM
  5. How can a young person become a hero/ine?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 10:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO