User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelTao View Post
    Yeah, I realize that, and I am repulsed by social Darwinism as well.

I did not see my example as social Darwinism. I actually got it from a programming book. It was a little software simulation. It piqued my interest but I have not researched this whole area in enough depth to formulate anything precisely. There are areas of current research that go into things like cellular automata, self-organization and other kinds of simple natural laws that seem to apply equally well to the natural and the man-made worlds. With the man-made world, I would offer the important caveat that these laws constrain but do not determine human behavior, in the same way that gravity does. They set parameters, but within those parameters, humans have lots of choices to make. So this is really the area that has influenced me, not old-fashioned social Darwinism. Could it be social Darwinism rearing its ugly head again, in a new form? Possibly. But I think it will be what we make of it. It is still a young and controversial area of science and inquiry. I don't think it has to lead to social Darwinism. Anyway, the mere act by itself of comparing evolution to human society can lead to all kinds of other ideas. For example, you can observe cooperation as well as competition in evolution. There's nothing inherently fascist or social Darwinist about being interested in exploring the implications of certain simple rules that produce complex results and that seem to operate universally.
    Your example reads more as a case of moderation than Darwinism. As in, those who find balance will prosper.

What I was getting at was actually the same critique that is made of cultural relativism. It permits no standard by which to reform a society, as the abolitionists did.
    That doesn't make any sense. When a society is ready to change, it will change. That is the nature of cultural relativism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INXX

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Your example reads more as a case of moderation than Darwinism. As in, those who find balance will prosper.
    I can see why you would think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. When a society is ready to change, it will change. That is the nature of cultural relativism.
    That's certainly another possible perspective on it.

I think I've about exhausted the major questions I had about your ideas on the nature of values. Good show!