• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are emotions so bad? Hmm?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Well? You know that Spock never would have made it in reality, right? Think about it.

A reaction can either be emotional or mechanical. The thing there is that anti-emotional perspectives are also emotional.

Machines and reflexes do not care nor do they discriminate.

Without emotion you cannot aspire to something, and you also cannot be disappointed in anything either.
Without emotion you will not be the progressive scientist who benefits mankind with your logical endeavors. That takes emotions to even want to do that.
Without emotion, you are a lump. A rock, or some kind of plant at best.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well? You know that Spock never would have made it in reality, right? Think about it.

A reaction can either be emotional or mechanical. The thing there is that anti-emotional perspectives are also emotional.

Without emotion you cannot aspire to something, and you also cannot be disappointed in anything either.
Without emotion you will not be the progressive scientist who benefits mankind with your logical endeavors. That takes emotions to even want to do that.

So I had the thought that emotions are pure soulful expressions from the unconscious.

And that feelings are ego expressions.

Emotions lie deeper and become twisted by our ego. And depending upon how convoluted our egos are, emotions can become twisted as well.

Things in life are usually more pure when they are simple and straightforward. It has been taught by spiritual gurus that annihilating the personal ego and assuming God's will is ideal. So too would feelings fall away, if we could do away with our ego, leaving us with raw emotion.

Is raw emotion therefore like something an animal manifests? Angrily guarding a piece of meat? Lustily mating? Lazily lounging? Possessively marking?

Do we need our ego to keep us human?

Does any of this make sense, and is any of it worth discussing?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Emotions are bad because they're messy.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They fucking suck when your soul gets wrapped into something your mind does not agree with.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Emotions are bad because they're messy.
Everything is messy. But without them you cannot realize how messy they are, and a lack of messy cannot be good. You'd never appreciate the lack of mess without enduring the mess.

They fucking suck when your soul gets wrapped into something your mind does not agree with.
It wouldn't not suck if that didn't happen.

So I had the thought that emotions are pure soulful expressions from the unconscious.

And that feelings are ego expressions.

Emotions lie deeper and become twisted by our ego. And depending upon how convoluted our egos are, emotions can become twisted as well.

Things in life are usually more pure when they are simple and straightforward. It has been taught by spiritual gurus that annihilating the personal ego and assuming God's will is ideal. So too would feelings fall away, if we could do away with our ego, leaving us with raw emotion.

Is raw emotion therefore like something an animal manifests? Angrily guarding a piece of meat? Lustily mating? Lazily lounging? Possessively marking?

Do we need our ego to keep us human?

Does any of this make sense, and is any of it worth discussing?

Our ego justifies what we're going to do anyway and tries to get it to mesh with our perception of reality.

Having an aversion to something for example is just as much a feeling as anything else. If a certain brand of morality for example leads to hateful behavior, then what good is it?

Those are good questions though, and are probably worth discussing.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Our ego justifies what we're going to do anyway and tries to get it to mesh with our perception of reality.

Having an aversion to something for example is just as much a feeling as anything else. If a certain brand of morality for example leads to hateful behavior, then what good is it?

Those are good questions though, and are probably worth discussing.

Not sure it's the ego doing the justifying....or maybe it is because of its role between the id and superego. The ego acts as a scale between the two, and attempts to keep them balanced. And I think you said it well saying it attempts to mesh with our perception of reality. But I'd also add to that our thoughts and feelings about reality too.

The only good is God. So the only good action is one which promotes God's will. God's will is essentially love. So within this, nothing could be morally right that promotes wrong, or non-good actions.

If we allow them to, emotions could give us a clue to our unconscious; indeed they could be the best and only indicators sometimes to our unconscious mind (along with dreams and psychosomatic manifestations, if we have them).

It is when we twist up those emotions, and they become feelings (and thoughts, which are really analogous to feelings, but are expressions of the mind versus the heart) is when we can go awry. If we can just experience emotions, we can probably use them as a sound guide for God's will for us.

The trick is not allowing them to be manipulated by our ego and world into something else.

I think I am on to something here...

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their asses when they hop.

If nothing had wings, a frog would still bump its ass when it hops but we'd not realize the significance of it.

If a frog did not bump their ass when they hopped, he might never notice his cute little ass.

Maybe his ass likes to be bumped. :huh:

Emotions are expressions of the soul which resides in the unconscious. This is stuff of God.

Feelings are expressions of the heart.

Thoughts are expressions of the mind.

Both feelings and thoughts are of the flesh and are influenced by the world, which influences the ego.

The purest information coming from within us (versus from without us as might happen in The Holy Spirit coming into us and informing us) is therefore emotion.

How do we access this? How do we know we are dealing with raw, pure emotion versus tampered-with thoughts and feelings?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Not sure it's the ego doing the justifying....or maybe it is because of its role between the id and superego. The ego acts as a scale between the two, and attempts to keep them balanced. And I think you said it well saying it attempts to mesh with our perception of reality. But I'd also add to that our thoughts and feelings about reality too.

The only good is God. So the only good action is one which promotes God's will. God's will is essentially love. So within this, nothing could be morally right that promotes wrong, or non-good actions.
And God is full of emotions.

If we allow them to, emotions could give us a clue to our unconscious; indeed they could be the best and only indicators sometimes to our unconscious mind (along with dreams and psychosomatic manifestations, if we have them).

It is when we twist up those emotions, and they become feelings (and thoughts, which are really analogous to feelings, but are expressions of the mind versus the heart) is when we can go awry. If we can just experience emotions, we can probably use them as a sound guide for God's will for us.

The trick is not allowing them to be manipulated by our ego and world into something else.

I think I am on to something here...
Yes, I think so.

The other trick is to not deny them entirely because then you are just tricking yourself. They will not have left, they instead become the elephant in the room.

Lark

I dont think emotion is wrong, I think emoting is wrong, its not the same thing.

A lot of people judge affect in its entirety by the break down of affect regulation and more especially by the breakdown of self-regulation of affect.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I dont think emotion is wrong, I think emoting is wrong, its not the same thing.

A lot of people judge affect in its entirety by the break down of affect regulation and more especially by the breakdown of self-regulation of affect.

I think I agree with this, partly. To me, emoting has its place.

Imposition of Order = Escalation of Chaos

The more laws and orders are written, the more thieves there are.

The longer an emote is held off, the bigger it is when it finally comes out. I think any of us can see this is true through practical experience.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Emotions are expressions of the soul which resides in the unconscious. This is stuff of God.

Feelings are expressions of the heart.

Thoughts are expressions of the mind.

Both feelings and thoughts are of the flesh and are influenced by the world, which influences the ego.

The purest information coming from within us (versus from without us as might happen in The Holy Spirit coming into us and informing us) is therefore emotion.

How do we access this? How do we know we are dealing with raw, pure emotion versus tampered-with thoughts and feelings?

I think mindful watching can do this. Putting the executive function of the mind in the back for a while and observe all things that arise in you, and let them pass through.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
depends on what emotions and how they are being expressed, as with most things :shrug:

a woman getting pissed off and beating the crap out of her kid for dumping milk on the new carpet is an example of how emotions SHOULDN'T be expressed, for instance. As are the people who manipulate other people into doing what they want by crying at them... that's just LOW :thelook:

of course, thanking someone genuinely for helping you out, or apologizing to someone in a heartfelt manner after screwing them over are a completely DIFFERENT kettle of fish... those are essential emotional expressions that even the most unemotional person should get a grasp of in order to live effectively in society :)

as with a hammer, it depends on how you swing it as to whether it's destructive or constructive! :cheese:

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
depends on what emotions and how they are being expressed, as with most things :shrug:

a woman getting pissed off and beating the crap out of her kid for dumping milk on the new carpet is an example of how emotions SHOULDN'T be expressed, for instance. As are the people who manipulate other people into doing what they want by crying at them... that's just LOW :thelook:

of course, thanking someone genuinely for helping you out, or apologizing to someone in a heartfelt manner after screwing them over are a completely DIFFERENT kettle of fish... those are essential emotional expressions that even the most unemotional person should get a grasp of in order to live effectively in society :)

as with a hammer, it depends on how you swing it as to whether it's destructive or constructive! :cheese:

I concur. :)

Positive emotions don't seem to get enough play time these days. Everyone seems to be mad about this or hating on that.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=16071]sprinkles[/MENTION]

Yes. That is when and if we can do this, as perhaps we can if the emotion is not too threatening to our existing ego state. But what if the emotion is threatening to us? What if it is counter to a belief (from which arise feelings and consequent action or inaction)? What if it is ugly? What if it is scary?

I think fear is so cool because what we fear can give us such an immediate insight into our deepest issues! But we are conditioned, by the Balancer Ego, to do what it takes to stay balanced. This is also superficial. When our unconscious tries to inform us we have stuff to work on that could change us, it manifests as fear. And our conscious egos hear that as WARNING! impending change! And depending upon how long we've held the belief, worldview, or notion, the more warning, and therefore, the more fear we will likely have to said thing.

I just read that Jung called depression a blockage between the conscious and unconscious mind as well. INTP, I believe, said that. Energy from the unconscious is trying to inform the conscious mind but it cannot get through, so the blockage results in a severe stagnation which manifest as depression. Our ego is the gatekeeper between our concious and unconscious mind.

Anger can be a good clue too. Especially when people's anger does not match the situation at hand.

Apathy or numbness can be markers as well. The unconscious is saying, "Okay! You don't want to listen to me, I just won't let you feel anything at all and see how you like it!"

Fear, depression, anger, apathy are some of the emotions that our unconscious uses to get our attention when changes need to be made. We can choose to avoid fear; take medication for depression; not deal with, or suppress our anger; and ignore our apathy. In doing these things we've made conscious choices to not listen to our unconscious, and that is because thoughts and feelings have intervened to keep us in the status quo. A spiritual explanation is that the enemy or satan is lulling us into wasting our lives and not living up to our fullest God-given potential.

When we ignore these emotions a long time, they eventually will manifest in our body and mind. We can get physically ill, mentally ill. We will buffer with addictions to try to fix or ease the pain. Or turn to suicide if nothing else works.

All we need to do is open the door between the unconscious and conscious minds and consider a change of mindset. In a split second with a fraction of a kilocalorie of energy, we could change our complete being and context, allowing for soulfulness in our worldly self. Instead we fight tooth and nail against it, so strong can be our conceptual framework we build for the ego to dwell within. (like the matrix :) )

Humbling ourselves to God and submitting to Him is therefore sometimes the only thing that works when our ego has been given complete power over us, at the expense of our soulful Godly core; and is why 12 step programs use a higher power in their philosophy.

Lark

I think I agree with this, partly. To me, emoting has its place.

Imposition of Order = Escalation of Chaos

The more laws and orders are written, the more thieves there are.

The longer an emote is held off, the bigger it is when it finally comes out. I think any of us can see this is true through practical experience.

Nawh, I dont agree, that "hydrolic" or "pressure valve" analogy for human nature, or even animal nature since it was popular with Konrad Lorenz, I think is seriously mistaken.

In its place I'd substitute some character theory or analytical theory, obviously the tendencies to emoting and capacity for self-regulation of affect will be a consequence of chacteroogy, or if you like typology, to the point were some people will need to emote and others will not.