User Tag List

First 123 Last

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Holy View Post
    In my experience, it was a lot easier to get a firm grasp on things with the books in front of me, instead of the things I read on Wikipedia / online.
    What books have tickled your fancy?

MBTI
    PURE

I've been reading Ethics for the New Millennium by the Dalai Lama. I've had it for years but I'm only now just getting to it. About a third of the way in it's pretty enjoyable so far. I also just started The Complete Idiot's Guide to Buddhism to set some basic framework. This sounds really typical but, Hermann Hesse's Siddhartha sealed the deal. I checked it out from a library while I was stranded hitchhiking. It was painful to take it back.
    「open up your throat。」
    4w5 - 6w5 - 1w2 sp/so

Yeah! Goddess of Love's back! A to the G to the A-W-R-Y!

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    [*]The Noble Eightfold Path: right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right concentration;[/LIST]

Sounds like a version of the 10 Commandments, but I honestly like the 10 Commandments better because they are more clear. These are too open for interpretation by someone who could be led astray.
    Ah, interesting. The way I saw it, if commandments were too cut-and-dry they could be tainted with Earthly meaning, thus detracting from the spirit of the law as has happened in several churches.
    That said, this is the dominant stance and it's good that I've heard this other side of the argument.

I've seen INTJ posts that are less organized than this. You should embrace your Si-use.

WALMART

Interesting. I've only read The Universe in a Single Atom of the current Dalai Lama's. Thinking of mandalas, now...

Recently I purchased an old copy of the Dhammapada. It has appealed to me immensely, and has a particular translation unfound by most sources. I'll have to check out this Hesse fellow.

MBTI
    PURE

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Interesting. I've only read The Universe in a Single Atom of the current Dalai Lama's. Thinking of mandalas, now...
    I didn't finish that book but, from what I'd read of it, he covers similar ground by talking about the connections between belief and science.

Recently I purchased an old copy of the Dhammapada. It has appealed to me immensely, and has a particular translation unfound by most sources. I'll have to check out this Hesse fellow.
    And that sounds really nice, I was hoping to do the same thing! (ノ゚0゚)ノ~ I love how old books feel in general. In this case though, it feels closer to it's roots. There are so many people trying to cash in with anything considered ' alternative ' that things can turn sketchy fairly quickly. I guess it's easy to manipulate since things have gotten lost in translation.

Hermann Hesse was a decent writer. He wrote another book called Demian that I really liked. He seemed to enjoy religious subjects as plot backdrops. At least in those instances. Siddhartha is about another man, not the Buddha himself, but he lives during his time and there are a lot of parallels between the two. If nothing else, it's fun to read because it's written so lyrically.
    「open up your throat。」
    4w5 - 6w5 - 1w2 sp/so

WALMART

I didn't finish that book but, from what I'd read of it, he covers similar ground by talking about the connections between belief and science.
    Yeah. I would like to read more of his thoughts apart from the mainstream, to touch his actual understanding of the philosophies in play. I guess that isn't much his job? I don't know much about his office, to be honest.

And that sounds really nice, I was hoping to do the same thing! (ノ゚0゚)ノ~ I love how old books feel in general. In this case though, it feels closer to it's roots. There are so many people trying to cash in with anything considered ' alternative ' that things can turn sketchy fairly quickly. I guess it's easy to manipulate since things have gotten lost in translation.

Hermann Hesse was a decent writer. He wrote another book called Demian that I really liked. He seemed to enjoy religious subjects as plot backdrops. At least in those instances. Siddhartha is about another man, not the Buddha himself, but he lives during his time and there are a lot of parallels between the two. If nothing else, it's fun to read because it's written so lyrically.
    Cool. Old books are special (and even some new ones!) I like that "core" approach to discovering this stuff. Like Typology. Older than dirt, but no one seems to look beyond 1970. I've kind of pigeonholed myself into a weird spot of understanding...

So it's a novel then, eh? Unexpected. What is Demian about?

I'm off for the night. Farewell.

MBTI
    PURE

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Yeah. I would like to read more of his thoughts apart from the mainstream, to touch his actual understanding of the philosophies in play. I guess that isn't much his job? I don't know much about his office, to be honest.
    I decided to read some of his books because I realized I didn't know much about him either. Besides endless praise I mean, not that that's bad. I got interested when it came to me that even though he's a religious figure so to speak, he says things that make sense. This was ( and probably still is ) mind-blowing to me. As rude as that sounds, ha.

Cool. Old books are special (and even some new ones!) I like that "core" approach to discovering this stuff. Like Typology. Older than dirt, but no one seems to look beyond 1970. I've kind of pigeonholed myself into a weird spot of understanding...
    I like the idea of typology, what bothers me is the way that some people apply it. Sometimes the very things that can help a person grow will stunt them. That's a whole other conversation though. I won't bore you to death. Plus, I can't think of a way to fully explain without sounding pompous and inflammatory.

It's nice to discover things on your own. Easier to go beneath the surface that way. No one's telling you what to think. You can draw your own conclusions.

So it's a novel then, eh? Unexpected. What is Demian about?
    Demian is kind of a coming of age story. It's about a boy with romantic streak who ends up idolizing and becoming best friends with the eponymous secondary character. Think of a much, much shorter version of The Portrait of a Boy As a Young Man. The main character broods and feels uncomfortable for most of the story. Pretty hopeless, but in an endearing sort of way, if that makes sense.

I'm off for the night. Farewell.
    Thanks for chatting.
    It's neat that you actually read the manga ; )
    「open up your throat。」
    4w5 - 6w5 - 1w2 sp/so

WALMART

This could get long quick

I decided to read some of his books because I realized I didn't know much about him either. Besides endless praise I mean, not that that's bad. I got interested when it came to me that even though he's a religious figure so to speak, he says things that make sense. This was ( and probably still is ) mind-blowing to me. As rude as that sounds, ha.
    Nah, not rude. That is what attracted me to the philosophies as well, learning a lot of my irreligious attitude was compatible (maybe even necessary) with what they have to teach.

I like the idea of typology, what bothers me is the way that some people apply it. Sometimes the very things that can help a person grow will stunt them. That's a whole other conversation though. I won't bore you to death. Plus, I can't think of a way to fully explain without sounding pompous and inflammatory.

It's nice to discover things on your own. Easier to go beneath the surface that way. No one's telling you what to think. You can draw your own conclusions.
    I wonder what you typed, once upon a time before purity. I don't think people are too particularly interested with discovering the whole piece, seems more of a way to identify your position and solidify your niche.

Demian is kind of a coming of age story. It's about a boy with romantic streak who ends up idolizing and becoming best friends with the eponymous secondary character. Think of a much, much shorter version of The Portrait of a Boy As a Young Man. The main character broods and feels uncomfortable for most of the story. Pretty hopeless, but in an endearing sort of way, if that makes sense.
    Interesting. I've never heard of that one either, lol. Brooding and discomfort is my thing, but I don't know if I could handle it apart from my own thoughts. I tend to avoid teh feels in stories for that reason, heh.

Thanks for chatting.
    It's neat that you actually read the manga ; )
    I presume you speak of Akira?

Of course. Existentialism is all my territory consists of.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Bhudism and Hinduism have the same issue for me:

What do they teach people to DO?

Pretty philosophy that doesn't involve community always ends up creating little principalities of guru's or hermetical/reclusive behavior. Where is the concept of the spiritual brother in the faith, and what is its importance? (brother because the spirit is seen as male in my faith (the spirit gives, the soul receives).

I was gonna make a longer post, but its 2am, but I would be interested in a response if anyone is well versed enough on Budhism.
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zangetshumody View Post
    Bhudism and Hinduism have the same issue for me:

What do they teach people to DO?

Pretty philosophy that doesn't involve community always ends up creating little principalities of guru's or hermetical/reclusive behavior. Where is the concept of the spiritual brother in the faith, and what is its importance? (brother because the spirit is seen as male in my faith (the spirit gives, the soul receives).

I was gonna make a longer post, but its 2am, but I would be interested in a response if anyone is well versed enough on Budhism.
    "Brother in the faith," you say? Like an organized church?
    Like an establishment?

Like coercion?

How can man eat man when all people are alone and independent?