User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Weapons, do you own any?

Do you have any philosophical or spiritual views which relate to weapons? Do you own or have you ever owned any weapons?

I'm interested because I read a short time ago about Sikihism's religious obligation that its adherents carry daggers and thought about how that kind of thing has pretty much disappeared from Christianity or western society, I know someone who I was surprised owned a mace/morning star style weapon, had it in a closet near his front door were he kept his shoes and coats and who carried a pocket knife most of the time he was out of doors because he was perturbed by the idea that he could be killed randomly, like in a motoring accident or (this was during the troubles) bomb and would be unarmed when he died (I kid you not this was something that bothered him).

Myself I've never really be sure about it, I would like to own some sort of rack of swords or something like that in an ideal home/world.

Then again when I've travelled and seen weapons for sale I've thought some of them were ugly, violent and nasty looking things for ugly, violent and nasty purposes.

(I havent really considered firearms or guns when I posted this BTW).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Yeah, I own a small collection. All of them are blades (Surprise!), and I own no firearms.

I had heard about that some religions involve weapons or something, but I don't know much about them. I do find that interesting, though.

Is there something you were looking for in this thread besides those first two questions?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I have a sword, and a small dagger, but I want to get more.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

nothing I don't use in the kitchen... though if someone presses me I have some pretty vicious knives in the kitchen!

and now for a quote from molly ivins that pretty much sums up my thoughts on things

I am not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife. Consider the merits of the knife. In the first place, you have to catch up with someone in order to stab him. A general substitution of knives for guns would promote physical fitness. We'd turn into a whole nation of great runners. Plus, knives don't ricochet. And people are seldom killed while cleaning their knives.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ

I have a hard wood bokken. It's a wooden sword - you don't want to get hit by one though. It's good for whacking shins or breaking fingers or arms to ward off attackers but is also hard enough to kill.

I used to be a shooter and owned a USP but I gave up guns. I know my way around them if I ever have to use one but I hope not to, and I don't own any currently.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm to inherit a few firearms someday. My grandfather's a retired police officer, & owns a few. I have experience with several hanguns & rifles, & since then, my level of discomfort with such objects has diminished. Mostly feel neutral.

I currently own a hunting knife, a swiss army knife, & a naval cutlass. The last was my father's - essentially a military dress accessory sword, not really a weapon. My knives are tools, to me.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    My knives are tools, to me.
    Why not both?

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Why not both?
    They can definitely be both. Just haven't needed to use them as weapons, yet. And hope I won't ever need to.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Yeah, I own a small collection. All of them are blades (Surprise!), and I own no firearms.

I had heard about that some religions involve weapons or something, but I don't know much about them. I do find that interesting, though.

Is there something you were looking for in this thread besides those first two questions?
    Well just the same sorts of reflections as I posted about myself, weapons, owning weapons, possessing them, whether or not you would use them for their intended purposes, whether you're under any obligation or feel any obligation goes with ownership.

In the example of sikhism I believe there are writings of gurus which suggest that believers and practitioners of that faith should possess and carry a number of items to assist them with fufilling their duties, only one of which is the dagger but the dagger is one of them, whether they are ceremonial or not its one of the basis for circumventing the UK's pretty strict possession of weapons laws.

My friend that I mentioned who was worried about dying unarmed could be arrested and charged for having a simple pocket knife, now, I dont know how frequently that happens or what discretion a police officer has in that but I was told by a police officer once that they could arrest and charge anyone for "going prepared" or having offensive weapons if they had grounds to believe something would be used as a weapon, ie as much as a pen could qualify.

Although I dont know off hand what obligations go with the possession of the dagger for a sikh, I know that they were once a core troop of forces allied or serving in the british empire and probably at a time when side arms were there for the purpose of being used in immanent battle.

I feel conflicted about weapons, I them as ornate things, I also like and appreciate their proper purpose too and there is the whole "its merely a tool" school of thought aswell but they are also generally made and serve one purpose, harming or killing, however legitimate a purpose that may serve it is still an ugly thing to contemplate. I remember reading that some asian temples equiped their monks with weapons which were in the order of maces, staffs, flails because being blunt instruments they did not necessarily mean the drawing of blood, probably a tenuous idea given that blunt trauma is just as serious and frequently involves the drawing of blood anyway, in anycase. It does show that there has been some thought upon that topic though.

In Erich Fromm and Edward O. Wilson's biophilious vs. necrophilious idea there's a dichotomy between the people who love life and living things and those who love dead things, want to tranform the living into the dead things (a crude example is taxadermy vs. photography perhaps) or love possessions more than they can or would people. Now that's not restricted to weapons by any stretch, some people love cards or collecting things more than they would persons but I often think of it with respect to weapons because of a lot of the legendary weapons or fighters myths I know associated with Irish, Norse and Scandinavian sagas and stories.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    They can definitely be both. Just haven't needed to use them as weapons, yet. And hope I won't ever need to.
    Ah, okay. It's just that my view isn't black or white. Much like a pollutant is a resource out of place, I view weapons as tools turned against a living creature. I was just curious about your perspective, and why you said that.