• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weapons, do you own any?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I always wondered about that though, are you under a special obligation to defend yourself or others? Like is there a religious verison of stand your ground in effect or something?

Well I'm not sure if a Sikh is required to do that absolutely, but the Sikh consider themselves saint soldiers and defending those in need regardless of who they are is a big part of their spirituality.

The dagger is kind of symbolic of defending good, but also symbolic of self control and being able to resist vices. If I remember correctly though, when there was a Sikh temple that was attacked and some of them were killed, there was somebody who tried to use their dagger in defense of others but was shot down.

bedeviled1

I know there are culture differences and all, but honestly, I think that's going too far, and is a major reason I will always defend gun rights despite not being a gun owner myself. People have a right to defend themselves, and as soon as a government starts to consider something like a pen a weapon, I think something has gone horribly wrong.

I hear this often, but I generally have difficulty agreeing with this stance unless they can prove that something literally has no purpose but to harm or kill. People claim firearms are designed to do nothing but harm or kill. I may be delusional or something, but I view the purpose of a firearm as being to throw a metal projectile downrange at high speeds. There are plenty of people who enjoy just going to ranges to shoot firearms, and have no intention of ever turning them on a person. I think that people are taking away too much of the human element when they blame so much on the tool.

Knives are the same way. Their purpose is to cut things; they are a tool. If you use them on a person, that's your problem, not the knife's.

Actually, if you want to argue about something only being a weapon, I think that things like tasers and stun-guns deserve more flak than just about anything else. I have difficulty coming up with anything that you could do with them besides turn them on a person... :thinking:

I understand this, in fact, I've shown shades of it myself, unfortunately. :laugh:

very sensible words.

I own several guns. i hunted when I was young and got away from it for 20 + years. I have Grandsons that I wanted to have the same opportunity that I had. I took the oldest to train for his hunter safety certificate which teaches them gun safety and hunter ethics and responsibility. i will do this with all of them as well as accompany them shooting or hunting until they come of age. i wont pressure them, if they like it fine if not fine. to me its an awesome thing to be in the wild and do the same thing that people done long ago. a whole lot of people feel as strongly about the right to bear arms as our ancestors did. I am also teaching them archery and how to fish...

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I know there are culture differences and all, but honestly, I think that's going too far, and is a major reason I will always defend gun rights despite not being a gun owner myself. People have a right to defend themselves, and as soon as a government starts to consider something like a pen a weapon, I think something has gone horribly wrong.

I hear this often, but I generally have difficulty agreeing with this stance unless they can prove that something literally has no purpose but to harm or kill. People claim firearms are designed to do nothing but harm or kill. I may be delusional or something, but I view the purpose of a firearm as being to throw a metal projectile downrange at high speeds. There are plenty of people who enjoy just going to ranges to shoot firearms, and have no intention of ever turning them on a person. I think that people are taking away too much of the human element when they blame so much on the tool.

Knives are the same way. Their purpose is to cut things; they are a tool. If you use them on a person, that's your problem, not the knife's.

Actually, if you want to argue about something only being a weapon, I think that things like tasers and stun-guns deserve more flak than just about anything else. I have difficulty coming up with anything that you could do with them besides turn them on a person... :thinking:

Indeed. I think the only reason to severely limit one's freedoms regarding weaponry is for the sake of military superiority and national security.

You don't get nukes or biological agents because they are a significant threat to everyone in the hands of an individual.

Otherwise though, freedom before safety. It's not just lobbying, it's an entire moral imperative.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Hunting rifles which are in a gun safe when not being used for hunting.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I own a couple of old rifles I inherited from my Grandmother, and several swords and knifes (most of which are more decorative than functional, because I'm cheap and am not a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enjoy your guns and freedom, America.

Oh, we will, until we either naturally outgrow them, or render them irrelevant somehow.

For better or worse we have too much individualism for anything else. Some times it is blind individualism and you just can't cure that by unilateral decree like you can in more collective cultures.

This needs to play it self out more and things will change when the time comes - not by slapping down laws.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have quite a few.

Weapons are just tools. I don't completely understand why people try to treat them like so much more than that.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have my coping shields to protect me from words and some swears that I know.

:cry:

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I have quite a few.

Weapons are just tools. I don't completely understand why people try to treat them like so much more than that.

It's part of the human condition. Humans are confused and anguished and clouded by death and suffering, and either perpetuate it or strive to eliminate it.

Humans create suffering with their right hand and then curse it from their left hand as if it belongs to somebody else. The left hand tries to hold the right hand down and behind their clouded mind they try to pretend that it's not happening. This must be something else. Something is at fault.

xisnotx

Permabanned
i have a dozen kitchen knives, a mallet, a golf club, an arrow, and, in a pinch, a car.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I am a weapon and everything around me is a weapon [for an example an ink pen is deadly], but I would only switch to "take em out mode" to protect myself, another person or an animal [who was being mistreated]. I don't own a gun, if that's what you mean though.

Lark

I am a weapon and everything around me is a weapon [for an example an ink pen is deadly], but I would only switch to "take em out mode" to protect myself, another person or an animal [who was being mistreated]. I don't own a gun, if that's what you mean though.

No that wasnt what I meant and I was waiting for someone to give a response like this.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
with some more thinking...

I grew up in a rural area where hunting was a major form of recreation... we had sheep as well, so defending the flock was also important (though most of the time the dog was pretty good at that!). We always had a couple of 22s behind the door for in case the coyotes got out of hand again and needed to be chased away from the livestock... shoot one over their heads and they would take off! :laugh:

I got my first bb gun at around the age of 8 and once I learned to shoot that proficiently, I learned to shoot a 22 and got pretty good at that... my grandparents on my mom's side are both marks(wo)men and learning to be at least as accurate as grandma was a challenge! :)

My grandfather has built his own guns, always rifles, because he enjoys weapons making and hunting... he's pretty passionate about his right to bear arms, but he draws the line at anything made for military use above all else... anything he has would pretty much suck at committing any sort of mass killing because too much reloading would be needed. And this is coming from a guy who retired from the military, belongs to a conservation club, is an NRA member and has a hobby of shooting groundhogs out of his field from his pickup truck :shock:

I've moved to the city and we have no guns... we don't NEED them... we have no livestock to defend and neither of us go hunting... the man will occasionally go to the range and shoot a handgun for a while because he's weirdly obsessed with being good at an odd variety of manly things, but he doesn't bring one home with him because he pointed out that one of us would probably accidentally shoot someone that we like :yes:

Nicodemus

I don't want countries to have nuclear weapons and I don't want people to have guns. As a matter of reciprocity, I don't own any guns and no other potential weapon than kitchen knives.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't believe in having them. Accidents happen. I knew a guy at work whose 10 year old son was shot and killed when they were goofing off - for example.

But in a pinch, I've got a mean lamp.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
url

url

url

url

url

url

url

url

url

url

Lark

I don't believe in having them. Accidents happen. I knew a guy at work whose 10 year old son was shot and killed when they were goofing off - for example.

But in a pinch, I've got a mean lamp.

A mean lamp :laugh:

Yes, I know, accidents do happen or a weapon could be stolen from you and used in the commission of a crime.

I know some people who the prospect of their weapon being stolen would be enough to put them off owning one in the first place.

My mum told me that she hated guns back at a time when my dad bought a sufficiently powerful enough air rifle that it needed a licence and a cabinet being installed which the police can inspect.

She told me she hated them because there was a family member who had accidentially shot himself dead while carrying a shot gun and crossing from one field to another through a hedgerow which triggered the weapon.