User Tag List

First 6789 Last

I think it was EOKA maybe instead of what I wrote.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I love to read about these things though, I remember randomly picking up a UK gun magazine back in the day when I still had an obsession with firearms and wore army surplus which had a brilliant piece on these random ass weapons seized by police in Africa, one was a single shot shotgun which worked with the spring from beneath a car seat, there were these other mad, huge things which were essentially big ass revolvers which used shotgun shells but had tendency to self destruct, I also read about weapons made from car parts by EOTAS, was it EOTAS? In the hostilities in cyprus between the greeks and turks was it?

Mad, the other crazy thing I read about was a gas and air or pressure operated zip gun built in a prison which fired hardened/varnished peas or other objects and was used by some guy to shoot some prisoners who attempted to invade his cell, it wasnt enough to kill though.
    There's scary stuff that can be improvised if one is inclined yeah.

I read somewhere that some times the IRA even welded together their own home made mortar tubes.

And if you think about it, guns started out as just a pipe pretty much and of course everything used to be hand made. Somebody discovered black powder and stuffed it in a tube with a projectile and gave it a spark pretty much.

Hand crafted muzzle loaders are still a thing with some people too, and are interesting. I've fired a Brown Bess a few times. The darn thing is practically as tall as I am so it was an interesting experience for sure.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

i know im getting off topic.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    There's scary stuff that can be improvised if one is inclined yeah.

I read somewhere that some times the IRA even welded together their own home made mortar tubes.

And if you think about it, guns started out as just a pipe pretty much and of course everything used to be hand made. Somebody discovered black powder and stuffed it in a tube with a projectile and gave it a spark pretty much.

Hand crafted muzzle loaders are still a thing with some people too, and are interesting. I've fired a Brown Bess a few times. The darn thing is practically as tall as I am so it was an interesting experience for sure.
    All the IRA bombs and mortars were improvised, they used to have propaganda murals about gas cylinders which were cartoonised by heating advertisements wanting to "grow up to be barracks busters" which were a variety of mortar they'd dreamt up, they also improvised a couple of different RPGs along the lines of the "Sputnik" Che Guevara wrote about improvising in one of his books, there was a part of republican belfast that was nicknamed "Sputnik St" at a time because of that and most of the van bombs and the like were improvised, usually fertiliser, but that was also the point, they were trying to suggest that since it call could be improvised they would never have any supply problems in their "war effort". The coffee jars bombs with parachutes or stick grenades made from canisters for similarly "parachuting" from high rise flats down upon armoured vehicles, some of which were not armoured on their roofs, were something else in terms of the thinking, even if they never worked as intended.

I'm sure just about every irregular conflict has its own set of examples, the IRA also copied the hell out of the VC and other forces for ideological reasons too.

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post

i know im getting off topic.
    I know I really, really liked that game. I think I only played it once or twice before trading it though.

MBTI
    ISTP

If you're not already familiar with it, some of the weapons produced and used by the Armia Krajowa in occupied Poland are outstanding examples of what can be made by "underground" organizations.

MBTI
    INFJ

All the IRA bombs and mortars were improvised, they used to have propaganda murals about gas cylinders which were cartoonised by heating advertisements wanting to "grow up to be barracks busters" which were a variety of mortar they'd dreamt up, they also improvised a couple of different RPGs along the lines of the "Sputnik" Che Guevara wrote about improvising in one of his books, there was a part of republican belfast that was nicknamed "Sputnik St" at a time because of that and most of the van bombs and the like were improvised, usually fertiliser, but that was also the point, they were trying to suggest that since it call could be improvised they would never have any supply problems in their "war effort". The coffee jars bombs with parachutes or stick grenades made from canisters for similarly "parachuting" from high rise flats down upon armoured vehicles, some of which were not armoured on their roofs, were something else in terms of the thinking, even if they never worked as intended.

I'm sure just about every irregular conflict has its own set of examples, the IRA also copied the hell out of the VC and other forces for ideological reasons too.
    Yeah, it used to be entirely true that an irregular force could compete with military technology.

This isn't so much the case now, though. They're coming out with sniper detectors and stuff that can actually hear a bullet travelling through the air and calculate where it came from within a second of the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yeah, it used to be entirely true that an irregular force could compete with military technology.

This isn't so much the case now, though. They're coming out with sniper detectors and stuff that can actually hear a bullet travelling through the air and calculate where it came from within a second of the shot.
    I dont think its been the case at all for a long, long time, the distance between military and civilians in a conflict has been steadily growing since when Engels concluded any revolution would require a politically mandated democratic vote rather than street fighting. Its ridiculous now.

There wasnt any "fought to a stand still" in NI either, as a lot of the republicans let on, if there was any stalmate it was more to do with the IRA proving as effective and clever as global intelligence threats, moving into counterfeiting, bank jobs aimed at theft of enough currency it would force wholesale reprinting of money costing the individual bank but also threatening the currency itself with reactions by speculators, a whole host of economic warfare tactics like that. The security forces in NI, even if the worst stories of collusion with protestant terror gangs and officially sanctioned kidnap, murder and shoot to kill ambushes all turned out to be true, did not operate like say the US in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I dont think its been the case at all for a long, long time, the distance between military and civilians in a conflict has been steadily growing since when Engels concluded any revolution would require a politically mandated democratic vote rather than street fighting. Its ridiculous now.

There wasnt any "fought to a stand still" in NI either, as a lot of the republicans let on, if there was any stalmate it was more to do with the IRA proving as effective and clever as global intelligence threats, moving into counterfeiting, bank jobs aimed at theft of enough currency it would force wholesale reprinting of money costing the individual bank but also threatening the currency itself with reactions by speculators, a whole host of economic warfare tactics like that. The security forces in NI, even if the worst stories of collusion with protestant terror gangs and officially sanctioned kidnap, murder and shoot to kill ambushes all turned out to be true, did not operate like say the US in Afghanistan or Iraq.
    Guerrilla tactics are quite effective against an occupying and technologically superior force. (Vietnam vs France or US, Afghanistan vs USSR or US etc...)

Not to mention that there are around 80 million gun owners in the US, we would only need a small fraction of that to take up arms against the gov't for a resistance to be effective.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Guerrilla tactics are quite effective against an occupying and technologically superior force. (Vietnam vs France or US, Afghanistan vs USSR or US etc...)

Not to mention that there are around 80 million gun owners in the US, we would only need a small fraction of that to take up arms against the gov't for a resistance to be effective.
    I dunno. With close air support and stuff being what it is now...

Yeah, a guerrilla force could make them see heavy casualties for sure. But it's hard to compete with gunships and QRF's. It's like stirring up a hornets nest. Yeah you can take down that patrol with a bomb or something but somebody is going to be on their way to rescue them and they will be pissed.