User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I always wondered about that though, are you under a special obligation to defend yourself or others? Like is there a religious verison of stand your ground in effect or something?
    Well I'm not sure if a Sikh is required to do that absolutely, but the Sikh consider themselves saint soldiers and defending those in need regardless of who they are is a big part of their spirituality.

The dagger is kind of symbolic of defending good, but also symbolic of self control and being able to resist vices. If I remember correctly though, when there was a Sikh temple that was attacked and some of them were killed, there was somebody who tried to use their dagger in defense of others but was shot down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    I know there are culture differences and all, but honestly, I think that's going too far, and is a major reason I will always defend gun rights despite not being a gun owner myself. People have a right to defend themselves, and as soon as a government starts to consider something like a pen a weapon, I think something has gone horribly wrong.

I hear this often, but I generally have difficulty agreeing with this stance unless they can prove that something literally has no purpose but to harm or kill. People claim firearms are designed to do nothing but harm or kill. I may be delusional or something, but I view the purpose of a firearm as being to throw a metal projectile downrange at high speeds. There are plenty of people who enjoy just going to ranges to shoot firearms, and have no intention of ever turning them on a person. I think that people are taking away too much of the human element when they blame so much on the tool.

Knives are the same way. Their purpose is to cut things; they are a tool. If you use them on a person, that's your problem, not the knife's.

Actually, if you want to argue about something only being a weapon, I think that things like tasers and stun-guns deserve more flak than just about anything else. I have difficulty coming up with anything that you could do with them besides turn them on a person...

I understand this, in fact, I've shown shades of it myself, unfortunately.

very sensible words.

I own several guns. i hunted when I was young and got away from it for 20 + years. I have Grandsons that I wanted to have the same opportunity that I had. I took the oldest to train for his hunter safety certificate which teaches them gun safety and hunter ethics and responsibility. i will do this with all of them as well as accompany them shooting or hunting until they come of age. i wont pressure them, if they like it fine if not fine. to me its an awesome thing to be in the wild and do the same thing that people done long ago. a whole lot of people feel as strongly about the right to bear arms as our ancestors did. I am also teaching them archery and how to fish...
    "May you live all the days of your life"

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    I know there are culture differences and all, but honestly, I think that's going too far, and is a major reason I will always defend gun rights despite not being a gun owner myself. People have a right to defend themselves, and as soon as a government starts to consider something like a pen a weapon, I think something has gone horribly wrong.

I hear this often, but I generally have difficulty agreeing with this stance unless they can prove that something literally has no purpose but to harm or kill. People claim firearms are designed to do nothing but harm or kill. I may be delusional or something, but I view the purpose of a firearm as being to throw a metal projectile downrange at high speeds. There are plenty of people who enjoy just going to ranges to shoot firearms, and have no intention of ever turning them on a person. I think that people are taking away too much of the human element when they blame so much on the tool.

Knives are the same way. Their purpose is to cut things; they are a tool. If you use them on a person, that's your problem, not the knife's.

Actually, if you want to argue about something only being a weapon, I think that things like tasers and stun-guns deserve more flak than just about anything else. I have difficulty coming up with anything that you could do with them besides turn them on a person...
    Indeed. I think the only reason to severely limit one's freedoms regarding weaponry is for the sake of military superiority and national security.

You don't get nukes or biological agents because they are a significant threat to everyone in the hands of an individual.

Otherwise though, freedom before safety. It's not just lobbying, it's an entire moral imperative.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Hunting rifles which are in a gun safe when not being used for hunting.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

A window to the soul

A hello kitty pink 460 S&W Magnum. Only used once.

MBTI
    INFP

Enjoy your guns and freedom, America.

WALMART

I like these Sikhs. I have developed concurrent thought.

MBTI
    INTP

I own a couple of old rifles I inherited from my Grandmother, and several swords and knifes (most of which are more decorative than functional, because I'm cheap and am not a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Enjoy your guns and freedom, America.
    Oh, we will, until we either naturally outgrow them, or render them irrelevant somehow.

For better or worse we have too much individualism for anything else. Some times it is blind individualism and you just can't cure that by unilateral decree like you can in more collective cultures.

This needs to play it self out more and things will change when the time comes - not by slapping down laws.

MBTI
    INTJ

I have quite a few.

Weapons are just tools. I don't completely understand why people try to treat them like so much more than that.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume