User Tag List

123 Last

Default Born alone, die alone, a horrible human condition.

Is that existentialism? I'm not sure I heard it said in Big Bang Theory and was wondering what it could have been a reference and if there's any recommended reads.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Can one be born alone and truly survive in this society? I suppose if the mother dies giving birth and no one takes over to care for the child. But how does a newborn child with no caregiver survive?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

From what I understand, about seven people are born each second and about two people die each second, so I'm sure I'm not going into it alone.

It sounds like a form of pessimistic existentialism, or it might even be nihilism.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Close, but no cigar. It's about finding meaning and a purpose in a universe that is seemingly random chaotic and violent. It's the experience that imo poets capture best, namely that life can beautiful in spite.. nay is beautiful because of the loss and imperfection that is often tantamount to being human. Usually it's because it gives you such a great appreciation for the tiny miracles about you everyday.

For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Ginkgo

More like: Think you're alone, then grow to find you're not.

MBTI
    INFJ

I concur that this sounds more like nihilism. People get the two confused, thanks to the writings of certain incomprehensible philosophers (I'm looking at you, Nietzsche)

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

I wouldn't call it nihilism. If you like stuff like that you might like Camus. If you're interested in existentialism I recommend Kierkegaard or Nietzsche.
    ( . )( . )

WALMART

Everyone's born with their momma. I doubt a single one has been indifferent about the event.

Existentialism is a different breed of thought.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

No one is 'born alone'.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I view this in a sort of "alone in a crowded room" way whenever I hear something like it.
    Surely you can be surrounded by people- strangers, friends, family, etc. However, you are the only person in your own head-space from birth until death. You are the only one to be in your world in the precise way that it is your world, and no one can ever truly meld with it exactly as you do.

Typically, the isolating part of quotes like these is the bit where people put so much stock into what they are surrounded with that they forget to become well-acquainted with themselves. It's a lonely time when you are not on your side, when you may not even know your side at all. How can anyone ever really properly integrate if we're all so far outside of ourselves? So, perhaps, when it comes times to die we can really be that devoid of another soul- even our own.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance