User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    What do you do about these feelings?
    I think of possibilities and make up ambitious plots to get what I want someday. They're surely difficult to carry out, but at least they don't seem entirely impossible. And there's no time limit besides that of my lifetime. Most of the things I do somehow advances these plots. Working towards the goals makes the life worth living. I don't fixate on them entirely though. I accept the possibility that I'll never reach them. Or that somewhere along the way I'll find something I wasn't looking for, that'll make my goals obsolete. Either way, I'll have no regrets.

The difficult part is when I lose faith in myself. This is why I think it's important to have some other reasons to keep going, like some close friends and/or SO.

@Saturned Great topic, I wrote a bit about my feelings on it here

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I feel this, too. In the midst of my time with certain people and experiences, I recognize that I have to appreciate them now because in the future they will be gone. I'm anticipating the loss, but it is not because they're meaningless, or its easy to imagine it over. It is precisely because I find them so meaningful, its enough to break through whatever facile pleasure I'm feeling about it to put the thought in my mind that the time right now is worth treasuring because it will soon pass. I feel acutely aware of the transitory nature of all things. Unfortunately, I have let people fall out of my life too easily, and maybe this weird resignation is part of why I do that. I think nostalgia is technically defined as the bittersweet ache of the longing for home. Having a gypsy upbringing might also affect why I feel this way.

I remember reading about a prisoner of war who while imprisoned had to keep his mind active to keep his sanity and spirit alive and endure the torture. He would contemplate space and time. It helped him endure his imprisonment by recognizing that time as we think of it doesn't exist. Because when we see a constellation we are seeing hundreds of thousands of years into the past. And from that far off in space one would see back into time on earth. That plus all those other awesome mind-bending facts of physics can help bring home that time is something of an illusion. I know its weirdly random, but this meditation speaks to me.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Rad3k View Post
    I think of possibilities and make up ambitious plots to get what I want someday. They're surely difficult to carry out, but at least they don't seem entirely impossible. And there's no time limit besides that of my lifetime. Most of the things I do somehow advances these plots. Working towards the goals makes the life worth living. I don't fixate on them entirely though. I accept the possibility that I'll never reach them. Or that somewhere along the way I'll find something I wasn't looking for, that'll make my goals obsolete. Either way, I'll have no regrets.

The difficult part is when I lose faith in myself. This is why I think it's important to have some other reasons to keep going, like some close friends and/or SO.
    That's a pretty good plan to combat such feelings and to make them work for you into something productive.

@bold, I find this interesting. At the time in my life where I have experienced that... I have turned to others for help in shoring up my own inner realm, but it never does anything. It's actually quite annoying how inner dependent I am. Although, I recognize that it is helpful to have a select group of trusted people around me who can help point me in the right direction. I am now rambling.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    @Saturned Great topic, I wrote a bit about my feelings on it here:

I feel this, too. In the midst of my time with certain people and experiences, I recognize that I have to appreciate them now because in the future they will be gone. I'm anticipating the loss, but it is not because they're meaningless, or its easy to imagine it over. It is precisely because I find them so meaningful, its enough to break through whatever facile pleasure I'm feeling about it to put the thought in my mind that the time right now is worth treasuring because it will soon pass. I feel acutely aware of the transitory nature of all things. Unfortunately, I have let people fall out of my life too easily, and maybe this weird resignation is part of why I do that. I think nostalgia is technically defined as the bittersweet ache of the longing for home. Having a gypsy upbringing might also affect why I feel this way.
    I have felt this myself. I sometimes get overwhelmed with the knowledge that nothing lasts forever, and how quickly everything falls away... that I have to distance myself to keep from being overwhelmed by the emotion/sensation. I especially like how you phrased the bold there.

I wonder if the key then is to try and balance the appreciation of the present moment for what it is worth. I think I tend to experience these feelings when I am getting too far ahead of myself in future oriented thoughts. It is hard for me to dissolve into and fully appreciate the present moment since it is the moment that should matter the most... and yet I am so often thinking of the moments beyond because I know they are coming.

I remember reading about a prisoner of war who while imprisoned had to keep his mind active to keep his sanity and spirit alive and endure the torture. He would contemplate space and time. It helped him endure his imprisonment by recognizing that time as we think of it doesn't exist. Because when we see a constellation we are seeing hundreds of thousands of years into the past. And from that far off in space one would see back into time on earth. That plus all those other awesome mind-bending facts of physics can help bring home that time is something of an illusion. I know its weirdly random, but this meditation speaks to me.
    This is a beautiful thought and, I like how it ties into this concept very much. It reminds me of my favorite chapter in "Watchmen" when Jon is on Mars thinking about his life. Thank you for sharing.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Hmm, I think I mean... how do you feel or think or do stuff.... (nice and vague, I know)
    Kind of like life has totally eluded me and I have no idea how to find it, or that my role in the world has been taken away from me and I haven't been able to get cast in any other role that's remotely satisfactory.

That's the best I can think of at the moment.

True story: your brain is already wrinkled.

I would try to say what I said more succinctly but... everytime I try it's pretty much what I already wrote except that I made it even more bizarre.
    That's okay. I thought it was an interesting point, just very different from my way of thinking.

Hmm, maybe it can be explained by this: So our bodies have veins which transport our deoxygenated blood back to our heart and lungs to get oxygen and stuff. And because the blood has no oxygen, it looks blue in the veins. You can see it under the surface of your skin. However, if you tried looking at the blood first hand by cutting yourself, it immediately turns red.

I probably made no sense there again, but I found it interesting to connect the two.
    Nigel Tufnel: "This is my exact inner structure, done in a tee shirt. Exactly medically accurate. See?"
    Marty DiBergi: "So in other words if we were to take all your flesh and blood..."
    Nigel Tufnel: "Take them off. This is what you'd see."
    Marty DiBergi: "It wouldn't be green though."
    Nigel Tufnel: "It is green! You see how your blood looks blue?"
    Marty DiBergi: "Yeah, well that's just the vein. That's the color of the vein. The blood is actually red."
    Nigel Tufnel: "Oh...then maybe it's not green. Anyway this is what I sleep in sometimes."

IIRC, Christopher Guest has said his Nigel Tufnel persona was inspired by Jeff Beck.

German has the best words.
    My best friend told be that back when he was in high school one of the classrooms had a blue printing machine in it and the teacher didn't want students messing around with it, so he put a sign on it that said "Achtung! Der machinen [some stuff I can't remember]." None of the students knew German, but it was still very effective.

It did make me think of a psychological study that I had to read about in college. Where some culture (I forget which one) doesn't distinguish between the colors pink and orange, and because of it they see them as the same color.
    Wow.

On a side note, I didn't know Muse was emo. Maybe that's why I'm not a fan.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    Kind of like life has totally eluded me and I have no idea how to find it, or that my role in the world has been taken away from me and I haven't been able to get cast in any other role that's remotely satisfactory.

That's the best I can think of at the moment.
    Oh... interesting perspective. Thank you for sharing. It sounds like you are embracing your inner INFP here. (I approve.)

Nigel Tufnel: "This is my exact inner structure, done in a tee shirt. Exactly medically accurate. See?"
    Marty DiBergi: "So in other words if we were to take all your flesh and blood..."
    Nigel Tufnel: "Take them off. This is what you'd see."
    Marty DiBergi: "It wouldn't be green though."
    Nigel Tufnel: "It is green! You see how your blood looks blue?"
    Marty DiBergi: "Yeah, well that's just the vein. That's the color of the vein. The blood is actually red."
    Nigel Tufnel: "Oh...then maybe it's not green. Anyway this is what I sleep in sometimes."

IIRC, Christopher Guest has said his Nigel Tufnel persona was inspired by Jeff Beck.
    Very nice play here with your tert Ne.

My best friend told be that back when he was in high school one of the classrooms had a blue printing machine in it and the teacher didn't want students messing around with it, so he put a sign on it that said "Achtung! Der machinen [some stuff I can't remember]." None of the students knew German, but it was still very effective.
    LOL! German is one of those "Sit Up And Take Notice" languages.

Wow.

On a side note, I didn't know Muse was emo. Maybe that's why I'm not a fan.
    I plead the 5th.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I saw the title, then I saw all the YouTube videos, and I'm stunned that no one else posted this.

Go to sleep, iguana.

Interesting point about languages inability to describe feelings.
    English is perfect for expressing feelings, for English has far more words than any other language. No, the problem lies not with English but with our inability to feel.

And we are unable to feel because our feelings were squashed or even traumatised as children, and in order to conform and survive we needed to repress our damaged feelings. And in repressing our damaged feelings, we tend to repress our good feelings as well. And as everyone else is doing this, it seems quite normal. But the tragedy is that, just as our feelings were damaged as children, so we damage the feelings of our own children.

Sehnsucht

The port
    was longing
    the port
    was longing

not for
    this ship
    not for
    that ship

not for
    this ship
    not for