• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are the attributes of a warrior?

Lark

I am also think as distinct from a soldier or anything like that, positive and negative, historial, personal opinion or presentary?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A warrior must be one with the Force, like Yoda, and one with his blade, like Bruce Lee.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My idea of a warrior:

Bold
Quietly confident, but not humble nor cocky
Smiles deliberately. If he ever laughs, watch out
Private. Few friends, if any.
Listens more, talks less.
Always waits for the perfect opportunity to attack. Not impulsive nor hesitant. Like a snake.
Passionate. Sometimes because he has a higher purpose, like Altair, sometimes because he finds killing people fun, like Jaqen or Dexter.

S

Sniffles

He must have courage(both moral and physical) and a noble spirit. Without those attributes, he's just a brute.

G

Glycerine

Bold
Strong
Quick-witted
strategic
Controlled
Compassionate
Efficient
Competent

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
A warrior, to me, is someone who has devoted their life, or at least a significant part of it, to battle. I don't find the battles have to be physical in nature, but many times they are. Their assets, skills, and free time are all pointed to their cause.
Attributes I find necessary:
- Foremost: Passion. A burning passion for the success they are fighting for
- Absolute dedication and devotion
- A sense of fearlessness
- Confidence in their cause
- A certain measure of loyalty

Lark

http://www.middle-ages.org.uk/knights-code-of-chivalry.htm

I know a knight and a warrior are not necessarily the same thing but this interests me none the less:-

The Knights Code of Chivalry and the vows of Knighthood
The Knights Code of Chivalry described in the Song of Roland and an excellent representation of the Knights Codes of Chivalry are as follows:

To fear God and maintain His Church

To serve the liege lord in valour and faith

To protect the weak and defenceless

To give succour to widows and orphans

To refrain from the wanton giving of offence

To live by honour and for glory

To despise pecuniary reward

To fight for the welfare of all

To obey those placed in authority

To guard the honour of fellow knights

To eschew unfairness, meanness and deceit

To keep faith

At all times to speak the truth

To persevere to the end in any enterprise begun

To respect the honour of women

Never to refuse a challenge from an equal

Never to turn the back upon a foe

Of the seventeen entries in the Knights Codes of Chivalry, according to the Song of Roland, at least 12 relate to acts of chivalry as opposed to combat.

I wonder about the fact that more chivalrous acts were recorded than combat, I mean does it mean there was any the less combat or that they just choose to record chivalrous acts instead or if there was a real civilising and gentrifying effect like the Samauri in Japan being trained in or taking up caligraphy, writing and study.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
bravery, fortitude, perseverance, daring, grit, valor, endurance, stamina, etc

Little_Sticks

I like this,

A warrior is a philosophy. To always struggle against anything that would dismember thought and mutilate the body, including the self. It's the ability to accept and enjoy the pain that goes with struggling, while still maintaining a sense of control. And it's knowing that the struggle is what you are, that without it, you are empty and dead. It's also living in touch with your heart and not what others expect you to be. Any causes you fight for are then done because you wanted to and no other reason. Fear and darkness is embraced and a joyful death is going down fighting. Shame is no longer felt, but regret marks a crushing struggle with the self that checks and balances the heart and redirects the mind to what seems right. Warriors are innocent and evil, barbaric and humane; for a warrior, war is peace.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I would say one of the crucial attributes is the ability to shut off empathy at just the right time to strike.

Of course this depends on the person. Some people dont have much perspective on others anyhow so they wont worry. Others might USE their empathy. But I cant see that happening too often outside of fiction.

Lark

A knight is a kind of warrior. Just like a Samurai is another kind.

For some reason I think of a warrior pure and simple as a type preceeding the more rule bound in behaviour knight or samauri type, that both of those highly rule bound in behaviour types emerged as society became less violent and more regulated, moving away from warring states.

S

Sniffles

For some reason I think of a warrior pure and simple as a type preceeding the more rule bound in behaviour knight or samauri type, that both of those highly rule bound in behaviour types emerged as society became less violent and more regulated, moving away from warring states.
I think you're confusing the distinction between a warrior knight and the professional soldier that emerged with the modern state. Chivalry in many ways is a further development of the earlier "pure and simple" type of warriorship found among the Germanic tribes of Europe by being fused with the traditions of the Christian faith and along with it the Classical world.