User Tag List

First 123 Last

http://www.middle-ages.org.uk/knight...f-chivalry.htm

I know a knight and a warrior are not necessarily the same thing but this interests me none the less:-

The Knights Code of Chivalry and the vows of Knighthood
    The Knights Code of Chivalry described in the Song of Roland and an excellent representation of the Knights Codes of Chivalry are as follows:

To fear God and maintain His Church

To serve the liege lord in valour and faith

To protect the weak and defenceless

To give succour to widows and orphans

To refrain from the wanton giving of offence

To live by honour and for glory

To despise pecuniary reward

To fight for the welfare of all

To obey those placed in authority

To guard the honour of fellow knights

To eschew unfairness, meanness and deceit

To keep faith

At all times to speak the truth

To persevere to the end in any enterprise begun

To respect the honour of women

Never to refuse a challenge from an equal

Never to turn the back upon a foe

Of the seventeen entries in the Knights Codes of Chivalry, according to the Song of Roland, at least 12 relate to acts of chivalry as opposed to combat.
    I wonder about the fact that more chivalrous acts were recorded than combat, I mean does it mean there was any the less combat or that they just choose to record chivalrous acts instead or if there was a real civilising and gentrifying effect like the Samauri in Japan being trained in or taking up caligraphy, writing and study.

http://chivalrytoday.com/warrior-code-1/

A link discussing warrior codes throughout history and chivalry again in general.

I wonder what the difference between chivalry and gallantry are?

And there's the eastern aswell as the western perspective too:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushido

(holding off on Klingon or anything until I see how the conversation goes :P )

Opposite of coward
    "May you live all the days of your life"

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

bravery, fortitude, perseverance, daring, grit, valor, endurance, stamina, etc
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

I like this,

A warrior is a philosophy. To always struggle against anything that would dismember thought and mutilate the body, including the self. It's the ability to accept and enjoy the pain that goes with struggling, while still maintaining a sense of control. And it's knowing that the struggle is what you are, that without it, you are empty and dead. It's also living in touch with your heart and not what others expect you to be. Any causes you fight for are then done because you wanted to and no other reason. Fear and darkness is embraced and a joyful death is going down fighting. Shame is no longer felt, but regret marks a crushing struggle with the self that checks and balances the heart and redirects the mind to what seems right. Warriors are innocent and evil, barbaric and humane; for a warrior, war is peace.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I would say one of the crucial attributes is the ability to shut off empathy at just the right time to strike.

Of course this depends on the person. Some people dont have much perspective on others anyhow so they wont worry. Others might USE their empathy. But I cant see that happening too often outside of fiction.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I know a knight and a warrior are not necessarily the same thing...
    A knight is a kind of warrior. Just like a Samurai is another kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    A knight is a kind of warrior. Just like a Samurai is another kind.
    For some reason I think of a warrior pure and simple as a type preceeding the more rule bound in behaviour knight or samauri type, that both of those highly rule bound in behaviour types emerged as society became less violent and more regulated, moving away from warring states.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    For some reason I think of a warrior pure and simple as a type preceeding the more rule bound in behaviour knight or samauri type, that both of those highly rule bound in behaviour types emerged as society became less violent and more regulated, moving away from warring states.
    I think you're confusing the distinction between a warrior knight and the professional soldier that emerged with the modern state. Chivalry in many ways is a further development of the earlier "pure and simple" type of warriorship found among the Germanic tribes of Europe by being fused with the traditions of the Christian faith and along with it the Classical world.