User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 169

  1. #71
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I ask because that has proven to be the best barometer for me to know if one is walking with God or is ready for God to come into his life. I only felt 'content' when I accepted Christ. And other Christians describe the same feeling. Ironically, I do not currently feel 'happy' yet I feel content. Before I knew God and Christ I felt happy but not content.

    I think contentment is a more desired state of living in. And what I believe Buddhists and other religions try to accomplish as well. I'm actually experiencing that right now.
    Our views of contentment are different. I was taught that being content is actually a bad sign because it's like you've reached this level of capacity and don't have to do any more. Some people are even content to be miserable it seems.

    I was taught that contentment even invites the devil and it means you need to get motivated. I don't really believe that but I can see how being merely content might not be productive.

    Edit:
    And to put this into perspective, Paul outlined several steps to contentment. If you were to be content with only taking the first step to contentment (or even no steps) are you still content?

  2. #72
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    @AphroditeGoneAwry

    I had to look more into this but now I can say that yes I'm 'content'. Not complacent, but content. I'd rather not use that word though because it is confusing and a bit contradictory.

    It doesn't imply that I have no motivation.

  3. #73
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Our views of contentment are different. I was taught that being content is actually a bad sign because it's like you've reached this level of capacity and don't have to do any more. Some people are even content to be miserable it seems.

    I was taught that contentment even invites the devil and it means you need to get motivated. I don't really believe that but I can see how being merely content might not be productive.

    Edit:
    And to put this into perspective, Paul outlined several steps to contentment. If you were to be content with only taking the first step to contentment (or even no steps) are you still content?
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    @AphroditeGoneAwry

    I had to look more into this but now I can say that yes I'm 'content'. Not complacent, but content. I'd rather not use that word though because it is confusing and a bit contradictory.

    It doesn't imply that I have no motivation.

    Well, my definition of contentment is feeling full inside myself, complete and whole.

    It doesn't mean I have everything I want or desire, or that I'm living fully, but that I feel whole. Since that wholeness comes from Christ, God, and the Holy Spirit, I think I'm okay.

    I think it's an apt word for my feeling. I can think of none better.


    EDIT: And Saint Paul wasn't living fully in prison either. Though he was content.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  4. #74
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Well, my definition of contentment is feeling full inside myself, complete and whole.

    It doesn't mean I have everything I want or desire, or that I'm living fully, but that I feel whole. Since that wholeness comes from Christ, God, and the Holy Spirit, I think I'm okay.

    I think it's an apt word for my feeling. I can think of none better.


    EDIT: And Saint Paul wasn't living fully in prison either. Though he was content.
    Yeah, I get what you mean. I have that. Some times it's just like practically bursting out of me. It's kind of like my internal compass.

    I can totally feel the difference when I get caught up and start doing things that I probably shouldn't or start taking on too much negative energy.

    It's like the radiant mind vs. the polluted mind. The sun is there always but clouds some times pass over it. It's not the sun being lost, but rather covered by transient pollutants that obscure the vision.

  5. #75
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yeah, I get what you mean. I have that. Some times it's just like practically bursting out of me. It's kind of like my internal compass.

    I can totally feel the difference when I get caught up and start doing things that I probably shouldn't or start taking on too much negative energy.

    It's like the radiant mind vs. the polluted mind. The sun is there always but clouds some times pass over it. It's not the sun being lost, but rather covered by transient pollutants that obscure the vision.
    Right on.

    I'm not sure I feel like this. I'm not really sure what you're saying, but SELAH!
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  6. #76
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This has been the strangest thread ever though, I wouldnt have took it for a overt or covert attempt to spread any religious beliefs.
    I have a tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt. I figure this was an attempt to discuss religious issues, an attempt that could certainly use some theological fine-tuning. *shrugs*

  7. #77
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I have a tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt. I figure this was an attempt to discuss religious issues, an attempt that could certainly use some theological fine-tuning. *shrugs*
    There's a lot of marketing distortion among the "younger" traditions when it comes to Christianity.

    Protestant evangelism hasnt gotten past its origins and the shapes it taken ever since are nothing if not unusual to my mind.

  8. #78
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There's a lot of marketing distortion among the "younger" traditions when it comes to Christianity.

    Protestant evangelism hasnt gotten past its origins and the shapes it taken ever since are nothing if not unusual to my mind.
    The problem with the younger "traditions" is not their origins, but rather their lack of rootedness in tradition to begin with.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  9. #79
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There's a lot of marketing distortion among the "younger" traditions when it comes to Christianity.

    Protestant evangelism hasnt gotten past its origins and the shapes it taken ever since are nothing if not unusual to my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    The problem with the younger "traditions" is not their origins, but rather their lack of rootedness in tradition to begin with.
    I agree with Beorn. An ahistorical understanding of the faith leads to some very dark corners.

  10. #80
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    The problem with the younger "traditions" is not their origins, but rather their lack of rootedness in tradition to begin with.
    Perhaps that's part of it but they do have a tradition in so far as they attempt to repeat and keep on repeating the actions of their founders and the early years of protestantism.

    Most protestants I know dont know a counter reformation happened or dismiss it as propaganda, they'll profess most of the beliefs of Luther and Calvin as though everyone else has lived in perfect ignorance of them or their legacies and as though neither the RCC, nor the world has changed a bit from the day and hour the bull was burned and the points nailed to the Church door.

Similar Threads

  1. Disabled woman was tortured and held as a sex slave
    By Lateralus in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 12:43 PM
  2. Uumlau answers your questions about Fi
    By uumlau in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 03:26 PM
  3. Questions about myself, and your opinions.
    By Serendipity in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-28-2009, 04:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO