User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Nope. Udderly serious!
    Well it's really wonderful that you found Christ and seek to share the Good News with others, however I have my doubts as to whether this is the right venue for doing so. Religious All discussions here very quickly turn into circuses in one way or another. Hence why I said this thread maybe a bad idea, it certainly was not a comment on your faith.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Okay. I'm not having a problem with it. Are you?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Sniffles

Well in that case, onward Christian soldier I guess. *shrugs*

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well it's really wonderful that you found Christ and seek to share the Good News with others, however I have my doubts as to whether this is the right venue for doing so. Religious All discussions here very quickly turn into circuses in one way or another. Hence why I said this thread maybe a bad idea, it certainly was not a comment on your faith.
    They sort of do dont they? The older threads are worth a look though, its become a more rapid thing over time I think.

This has been the strangest thread ever though, I wouldnt have took it for a overt or covert attempt to spread any religious beliefs.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Are we born with sin? Or is it learned?

In either case this implies that we are imperfect. But god is perfect, how could he/she/it/llama create such imperfection? If that proves him/her/it/llama wrong; what does that mean for god?

Also we are created in god's image, so god is an imperfect being? But god is infallible. Does god now cease to exist based upon this contradiction?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFJ

No one is righteous except God. Though hopefully we strive to be as righteous as possible. We are all human. I don't think it's fair that Christians receive so much flak for trying to be good and falling short of that. At least they/we are trying. (not taking this out on you, just sayin').

Moderation is NOT always good. And in the cases of sin....or meth, never is best. Of course we all will err.
    Yeah. I never could reconcile myself with striving for an impossible goal which can only be passed by mercy - which by all accounts I do not even deserve.

So I guess I have faith in the sense that if there is an all mighty God it will know exactly what to do with me no matter what and I'm pretty much a gold fish. To have me strive for something that I cannot do based on an authority that I cannot be sure of is not a recipe for faith or humility, to me. It's a recipe for tricking myself into thinking I know best.

MBTI
    INFP

I'm not sure about Augustine's definition. Does that mean that a couple who have been happily married for, say, 20 years and have consensual, loving sex are not expressing their love but rather indulging in lust? Assuming they don't believe in YHWH? Does it mean only Christians are capable of loving sex?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Are any humans created to be non-sexual? Are any humans created with sexual urges they are meant to deny? Are any people incapable of anything but lust?

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I am denying myself the urge to wiki this. I don't know. Morals are more personal spiritual/religious beliefs and ethics is applying morals in a societal context? Is this a quiz? How did I do?
    Reasonable answer. I have a bit of a different one, being pagan, as @kyuuei pointed out.

Christians are also usually Republican. That doesn't really tell us anything but encourages us to stereotype. Right?
    I agree stereotyping can be an issue, and I certainly don't like it from a pagan standpoint; but there are certain common attitudes in a religion despite the great variety. Since there are so many branches of Christianity, with each person lending their own personal spin on things, of course there are radically conservative as well as radically liberal people and everything in between, each citing their own Biblical references. But there are some things, particularly those which differ from paganism, which are pretty specific to the religion and difficult to moderate.

Well, then paganism is likely enjoying its heyday since we are basically like Babylon. I don't see that this way of life brings happiness, but despair and heartache; it cannot be maintained by the majority of people, finally scarring many, if not most. And it can elicit idolatrous behavior, where sex becomes the drive behind everything, the point to all someone does. But what they really want is a deeper connection, they just don't know how to go about it because media and our lustful ways are always leading us astray. Most are searching for love and find that casual sex falls so short of that as to eat away at their soul over time.

I just realized that this is the same social conditioning that we endured in the 50's regarding gender roles, and which led to the feminist movement of the 70's. In the 70's and 80's we had 'sexual liberation' and now I think we're fractured into two main groups; those that see the Babylon we created, and its repercussions; and those that are victims of that but don't realize it, and who just want more.

Is that a valid thought or way off the mark of anything reasonable-sounding.
    Pagans refer to the general public as "mundane;" there are huge differences between the average person and the average pagan. Perhaps attitudes about sexuality are becoming less traditionally Christian and more pagan, but paganism still is not close to being widely assimilated into people's minds. Paganism views sex as a fusion between the spiritual and the physical; this view is shared with Christianity. We just have different views on the nature of the relationship and how it works. So doing it right from a pagan standpoint would involve much more than just physical sex. It doesn't require romantic love, or a legal marriage, or devotion to a particular deity, but it does require mindfulness of the interconnection of all things and the process of creation, as well as a spiritual agape sort of love for the partner/s. This connection is what you correctly say is lacking from the attitude of popular culture. Popular culture still doesn't know how to fuse the spiritual with the physical, so they tend to do all one or the other.

So what you are saying about mainstream practices is largely accurate, but it is not due to paganism, nor does it apply to pagans. I find my lifestyle to be the most liberating, fulfilling, and loving one I've come across.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    First, very brave starting a thread geared toward sex and religion.. As soon as I read the OP I thought, "Oh dear, this poor girl is going to have a swarm of Christian-haters whining about the validity of religion."
    Yeah, that would be me. Sorry.

No, I don't really hate Christians; I just like to criticize their belief systems to see if they are logically consistent. Of course people have a right to believe what they want regardless of logical or scientific validity, but when they become proscriptive to non-Christians I feel the urge to have a dialogue.