User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

Results 131 to 140 of 169

  1. #131
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    What is still special about the 10 Commandments? The Law Covenant is obsolete for Christians, is it not? My understanding is that Christ did away with the Law.

    Edit: There are some good posts in here. The debasing of sex. I wonder if there's such a thing as lustful loving?

    "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." Matthew 5:17

  2. #132
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    1. God says that being gay is a sin, but why is it a sin? Being gay hurts no one? It just means that you are attracted to people of the same gender. It shouldn't be considered a sin. That's just dumb.

    2. Why is sex before marriage a sin? Don't you have to get a feel for what you like before you marry a girl? You have to test drive a car before you buy it, come on?

    3. Why could God slaughter so many people in the first testament but yet at the same time call murder a sin? That's hipocritical.

    4. Why is gambling a sin? Many SJ Baptist preachers were once business owners and were in sales. Sales in a gamble: driving in my car to get to work is a gamble because I don't know if I will get in a car crash and die. Spending money is a gamble because my bank account could get robbed by some identity thief. Everything is a gamble so why is gambling wrong? That's just stupid.

    5. Why is looking at pornography a sin? Who is it hurting? We were all born naked anyhow so why is it a sin to look at naked women?

    6. Why am I supposed to take all these rules at face value and follow them blindly if they make no logical sense to me? It's just dumb.

    I'm no expert but this is just my opinion


    1.) You shouldn't think of sin as always being equivalent to a crime. I think it's more any action that distances you from the plans of God. Fonication for instances similarly is not malicious but it could distance a person from god and cause emotional, physical or spiritual damage to oneself. That being said I do not have a solid opinion on whether homosexuality still falls under the sin category. Part of what is shown by the law is humans inability to ever fully follow it, unlike jesus. And in Acts 10 you see Peter having a vision of God commanding him to eat unclean foods and him refusing and then a voice saying "“Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”". Which later he extends into the idea that no people (gentiles) should be considered unclean and that the word of God extends even to non-jews (there fore people who do not follow the law). "The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles.". So the argument can be seen from two camps. SHould gentiles now adopt the law after becoming christians or is the law already fulfilled by Jesus's death and no longer to be applied as a way to distinguish God's people. Paul was of the mind that laws like circumcision no longer needed ot be followed. For me personally, the proscriptions against homosexuality fall into the old testament so its plausible to me that like food, and circumcision you could argue that homosexuality is now a non-issue. But I would think that it would best be address by the person who identifies as homosexual in their relating to God. Similarly as heterosexual people would have to address their questions about sexual morality (fornication, what's acceptable before marriage, masturbation) to God. If they feel like this is something honestly acceptable and based in love and in accordance with the plan god has for them

    2. I think that waiting to have sex can be a method of intensifying an emotional connection. You would then have only one person should you have share the very enjoyable and intimate behavior with. All of the joys of sex you associate with them alone. Also, if you don't have any others partners how would you compare them to anyone else. You wouldn't need to test drive them because basically you would never know the difference. If you've seen Louis C.K's show Louie, the episode "come on God" I think it gives a good depiction of this. The female character he's talking to give a description of a relationships where everything is held off until after marriage and the resulting freedom you have with your partner, because you completely trust them, because you aren't afraid of measuring up to anything (other people, their expectations) that you can truly enjoy sex with them. Plus no unwanted pregnancy of diseases. who doesn't like that?

    3. Yeah it's weird to think of all the murdering that goes on in the bible. One arguement that Seemed to makes sense ot me was one from a bible seminar that is on Itunes. It talked about how sacrifices were seen in the old testament as the way for atoning for sin. Technically in comparison to god we are all imperfect and deserve to be blighted from the earth because we are basically continual mucking up everything good. The argument was that these people not following God would start doing things like sacrificing children and having temple prostitutes and essential were the "bad guy". It's a hard thing to swallow. But I could see how this continual failing to measure up and being eradicated would help underscore the later entrance of christ as an ultimate sacrifice that would end the need for any other sacrifices.

    4. Firstly I think most of what you mention here are just false comparisons. True gambling I think is just a dumb way to lose money.

    5. Pornography I think hurts people because you start looking a people as object for you own pleasure. Something that would involve at least relating to, if not loving, another person because a one sided encounter where you dump your fantasies on to a passive person. I watched a documentary too that talked about how the constant demand for new markets in pornography have resulted in hard and hard videos being made and an increased demand for this like "torture porn". People just need more stimulus and aren't connecting with the peple they are seeing as human beings.

    6. I doesn't seem like you know that much about the rules. They might make more or less sense if you knew more about them

  3. #133
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    I like this post, thank you.

    As to number 1, I am still unclear about OT laws. The NT seems to eradicate some, like the sacrifice ones, and the circumcision ones. But maybe just because those are represented by Christ being the ultimate sacrificial lamb. I've heard that baptism replaces circumcision, because circumcision was used to identify God's children. I'm sketch on how many laws we should follow from the OT, lacking the biblical knowledge and the rational to know what to adhere to. So, for me, I follow the 10 to know what sin is, and the rest to be as Christ-like as possible, knowing that I'll never be perfect, but wanting to live as fully in God as possible. (don't mean to be redundant, but once I get going....)
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  4. #134
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    If you are going by the 10 Commandments, it doesn't say that being gay is a sin. The other areas of the bible that refer to it could be referring to other things, I've heard. I am not a bible expert but I go by the 10 commandments to know what sin is.



    lol. Um. Yeah. I will post the 10 Commandments on the next post and you can see they say nothing about premarital sex.




    I am not a bible scholar or preacher. That question would be better suited to someone else.

    My knowledge is that God was punishing them for turning against his law for a very long time. Murder for God is not a sin. God cannot commit sin. We cannot understand God's Kingdom Plan.



    Is it a commandment? I think it could become a sin when it turns into 'stealing' or becomes not 'do unto others as you'd have them do unto you.' Like, hardcore swindler gambling?



    Looking at pornography is not a sin per se, unless it breaks a commandment. The deal is that once you become born again, and let God into your heart and life, you can't help but want to be better and do his will. It becomes evident when you walk with God that lusting is sexually immoral. The bible speaks of sexual immorality so much I think because it is one of the easiest ways to slip into sin and to not live a fruitful life, which is what God wants for you and me.



    The 10 Commandments make sense to just about everyone, I'd say.

    I'll post them now...



    Thanks for you questions, Oh Great One. I think I detected a definite 'friendly' vibe there.
    I know the 10 commandments lady. It's just that these are additional little rules that the Bible says to live by as well.

  5. #135
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    So I was discussing sexual immorality with my Catholic neighbor, who is also in bible study with me. She takes a very conservative stance on adultery. She says it's being sexual at all out of wedlock. That is not my understanding, but she knows way more than me, so I googled and found this:


    The Greek adultery here is the word "moichao". In Exodus 20:14, the word translated as adultery is the Hebrew word "na'aph".

    Adultery is sexual intercourse between a man another man's wife. Adultery is also sexual intercourse between a married man with an unmarried woman.
    Thoughts?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  6. #136
    Senior Member tinker683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Thoughts?
    Sounds very much (but not entirely) like the modern legal definition as it exists today, which is fine by me.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

  7. #137
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Alright, I have a question.

    How do you think Christians are doing in debunking some of the cultural stigmas that are typically associated with them in regards to sex? How are they encouraging healthy sex lives within marriages, educating youth on the topic, and helping those who are nervous on the issue?



    This post is a bit base and unfair. This thread is for discussion, not attacks. She isn't trying to convince you of anything, just offering her piece of knowledge.. And there's something to learn from everyone.

    There was a very in depth conversation on this topic in another thread some time ago, so this isn't really the place for the gay vs Bible talk.

    As for pre-marital sex, even without Christianity it may still be a very good idea to practice this. There are several very practical and logical reasons for this rule of thumb, even for atheists. It is responsible (no one is going to be getting pregnant by practice abstinence minus that one incident a while back), shows discipline and honor, and puts emphasis on the other aspects of the relationship.. the ones that make the relationship last during a marriage. In essence, your 'test drive' is being ruined by emotional and physical aspects being acted upon. Sex is like driving--you don't really have to be a race car driver to do it, and you can get at least good enough to do what you need to do with practice. If logic was your goal for rules, this one makes more sense than anything else.

    As far as murder... We don't really consider ourselves murderers when we swat a mosquito biting on our arm. I don't think Christians really compare themselves to being on the same level as God.. since they sort of, ya know, worship him.

    Your explanations you're applying to all of these points is rather crass and they're not really logical at all.. I mean, if you cannot look at pornography and NOT see at least a hint of the industry hurting and debasing sex, women, and men alike then I really don't know what else to say.
    Pump your brakes lady. I wasn't attacking the religion at all. In fact, I was raised Christian myself, I'm just not sure if I believe in it anymore. I posted this in order to reach out to the people of this forum and get someone to answer these questions that I have in my head.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I'm no expert but this is just my opinion


    1.) You shouldn't think of sin as always being equivalent to a crime. I think it's more any action that distances you from the plans of God. Fonication for instances similarly is not malicious but it could distance a person from god and cause emotional, physical or spiritual damage to oneself. That being said I do not have a solid opinion on whether homosexuality still falls under the sin category. Part of what is shown by the law is humans inability to ever fully follow it, unlike jesus. And in Acts 10 you see Peter having a vision of God commanding him to eat unclean foods and him refusing and then a voice saying "“Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”". Which later he extends into the idea that no people (gentiles) should be considered unclean and that the word of God extends even to non-jews (there fore people who do not follow the law). "The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles.". So the argument can be seen from two camps. SHould gentiles now adopt the law after becoming christians or is the law already fulfilled by Jesus's death and no longer to be applied as a way to distinguish God's people. Paul was of the mind that laws like circumcision no longer needed ot be followed. For me personally, the proscriptions against homosexuality fall into the old testament so its plausible to me that like food, and circumcision you could argue that homosexuality is now a non-issue. But I would think that it would best be address by the person who identifies as homosexual in their relating to God. Similarly as heterosexual people would have to address their questions about sexual morality (fornication, what's acceptable before marriage, masturbation) to God. If they feel like this is something honestly acceptable and based in love and in accordance with the plan god has for them

    2. I think that waiting to have sex can be a method of intensifying an emotional connection. You would then have only one person should you have share the very enjoyable and intimate behavior with. All of the joys of sex you associate with them alone. Also, if you don't have any others partners how would you compare them to anyone else. You wouldn't need to test drive them because basically you would never know the difference. If you've seen Louis C.K's show Louie, the episode "come on God" I think it gives a good depiction of this. The female character he's talking to give a description of a relationships where everything is held off until after marriage and the resulting freedom you have with your partner, because you completely trust them, because you aren't afraid of measuring up to anything (other people, their expectations) that you can truly enjoy sex with them. Plus no unwanted pregnancy of diseases. who doesn't like that?

    3. Yeah it's weird to think of all the murdering that goes on in the bible. One arguement that Seemed to makes sense ot me was one from a bible seminar that is on Itunes. It talked about how sacrifices were seen in the old testament as the way for atoning for sin. Technically in comparison to god we are all imperfect and deserve to be blighted from the earth because we are basically continual mucking up everything good. The argument was that these people not following God would start doing things like sacrificing children and having temple prostitutes and essential were the "bad guy". It's a hard thing to swallow. But I could see how this continual failing to measure up and being eradicated would help underscore the later entrance of christ as an ultimate sacrifice that would end the need for any other sacrifices.

    4. Firstly I think most of what you mention here are just false comparisons. True gambling I think is just a dumb way to lose money.

    5. Pornography I think hurts people because you start looking a people as object for you own pleasure. Something that would involve at least relating to, if not loving, another person because a one sided encounter where you dump your fantasies on to a passive person. I watched a documentary too that talked about how the constant demand for new markets in pornography have resulted in hard and hard videos being made and an increased demand for this like "torture porn". People just need more stimulus and aren't connecting with the peple they are seeing as human beings.

    6. I doesn't seem like you know that much about the rules. They might make more or less sense if you knew more about them
    I liked most of what you said here, but I didn't agree with the part about porn and gambling. That part made no sense to me.

  8. #138
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Pump your brakes lady. I wasn't attacking the religion at all. In fact, I was raised Christian myself, I'm just not sure if I believe in it anymore. I posted this in order to reach out to the people of this forum and get someone to answer these questions that I have in my head.



    I liked most of what you said here, but I didn't agree with the part about porn and gambling. That part made no sense to me.
    Gambling - a pointless risking of ones finances. Not always tragic but also not really neccessary.


    Pornography- seeing a people simply as sex objects prepares you to treat other people simply as sex objects. Also, the documentary I watched was talking about the growing markets for harder and harder material. The effects of competition in the porn marketplace and viewers getting de-sensitied as they watch more and more footage.

  9. #139
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Gambling - a pointless risking of ones finances. Not always tragic but also not really neccessary.


    Pornography- seeing a people simply as sex objects prepares you to treat other people simply as sex objects. Also, the documentary I watched was talking about the growing markets for harder and harder material. The effects of competition in the porn marketplace and viewers getting de-sensitied as they watch more and more footage.
    Precisely. Gambling feeds a whole host of other activities and becomes a hub for things that distance yourself from God.. Even if you don't have an addiction to gambling and are capable of playing for the fun of playing, the activity is all about greed.. which is a cardinal sin. If sins were people, they'd frequent casinos. Classy example: Sin City is the nickname for Las Vegas, the city with more casinos than anywhere in the US.

    And pornography is a staple of Lust. You're enjoying, and entertaining the idea of, sex with anyone but your spouse. The general degradation of women and men in the industry is bad enough (whether they feel they're being degraded or not... most people would NOT sell their bodies for movie-making money.. which is enough to elude to it being sinful and shameful) but you completely take your lusts and throw them at random strangers, even if those strangers are on a picture.. You're completely okay with someone's daughter being used and filmed.. and I'll bet any man here would not want that to happen to their daughters..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  10. #140
    Senior Member _eric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Props to everyone for being so polite here, making a thread like this on most any other forum (including other typology ones) would incite all sorts of people to attack you and expound upon how much of a 'brainless hick' you are, since they are defending their view of promiscuity as being 'freedom' and cannot/will not conceive of how anyone could ever possibly think otherwise. You don't have to throw logic out the window to think it is wrong; too many people think that logic and Christianity are mutually exclusive.

    Anyways, if you want to understand the Mosaic law and its purpose better, read this, though it is pretty long.

    http://bible.org/article/mosaic-law-...-new-testament

    Here are two sections I think are especially relevant to some of the recent questions here:

    The Nature and Content of the Mosaic Law

    It is common to divide the Mosaic Law into three parts as illustrated below, but though this is helpful for analysis and the study of the Mosaic Law and the way it functions, such a division is never stated as such in Scripture. Rather it is seen as a unit. Arguments for this will be given below.

    Part 1: The Moral Law or the Ten Commandments. This part of the Law governed the moral life giving guidance to Israel in principles of right and wrong in relation to God and man (Exodus 20:1-17).
    Part 2: The Judgments, or the Social Law. This part of the Law governed Israel in her secular, social, political, and economic life (Exodus 21:1–23:13).
    Part 3: The Ordinances or the Ceremonial Law. This was the religious portion of Law which guided and provided for Israel in her worship and spiritual relationship and fellowship with God. It included the priesthood, tabernacle and sacrifices (Exodus 25:-31: Leviticus).

    The Recipients of the Mosaic Law

    The Mosaic Law was a bilateral covenant made specifically for Israel alone to govern her life in the promised land. From the Abrahamic Covenant (Gen.12) we see Israel was a chosen nation, an instrument of God to become a channel of blessing to all nations. Yahweh was her Theocratic King who was to rule and guide the nation in her destiny that she might not become polluted or contaminated by other nations and could thus fulfill her purpose. For this the Mosaic Law was instituted to direct Israel as a nation in all spheres of her life—morally, socially, politically, economically and religiously.

    By its very nature, the Mosaic Law was not to be, and could not be, obeyed to the letter by any other people in any other place as a rule of life. However, in the spirit of the Law it did set forth moral principles which were applicable and would bring blessing to all people anywhere and at any time when applied and used as a standard of right and wrong.

    There were certain economic provisions in the Law to govern and protect the economic life of Israel in their promised land. For example there was the right of property ownership, free enterprise, protection of the poor which guarded against the evils of great concentrations of wealth in the hands of a few with the consequent impoverishment of others. But the poor were provided for in such a way as to avoid the loss of free enterprise and the individual’s initiative by high taxation as well as to avoid making leeches out of men who refused to work.

    However, the strict application of these laws to our world is impossible since the original conditions in which God directly intervened cannot he reproduced, at least not until the millennium. Yet, economists could study and learn much from these laws and principles.
    The End of the Mosaic Law as a Rule of Life

    The Fact Established

    Several passages of Scripture clearly establish that the coming of Christ has brought an end to the Mosaic Law. Paul specifically states that “Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes” (Rom. 10:4). This instituted a new law or principle of life, i.e., the law of the Spirit, the one of liberty and grace (Rom. 8:2, 13). This fact was also clearly settled by the Jerusalem Council in Acts 15. A council was convened in the church at Jerusalem to look into the issue of the Law and its place in the life of believers because some were saying “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved,” and because even certain of the Pharisees who had believed were also saying “It is necessary to circumcise the Gentiles and to order them to observe the law of Moses.” The conclusion of the council, consisting of apostles and elders, was to reject the concept of placing New Testament believers under the yoke of the Law (15:6-11). The only thing the Jerusalem Council asked was that Gentile believers control their liberty in matters that might be offensive to Jewish believers, but they did not seek to place the believers under the yoke of the Law for they realized the Law had come to an end.

    Finally, the book of Hebrews demonstrates that the old covenant of the Mosaic Law was only temporary and has been replaced by the coming of Christ whose ministry is based on (1) a better priesthood, one after the order of Melchizedek which is superior to Aaron’s, and (2) a better covenant with better promises (see Heb. 7-10). The old covenant was only a shadow of heavenly things, and if it had been able to make men perfect before God there would have been no occasion for a second or new covenant (see Heb. 7:11-12; 8:1-13). This change in the priesthood also necessitates a change in the Law. Such a change shows the Law has been terminated or done away.

    The Problem of Mosaic Laws as Commands for New Testament Believers

    A careful reading of the New Testament shows us that nine of the Ten Commandments are repeated as obligations for believers. The one exception is the command to keep the Sabbath. If the Mosaic Law has been done away, then why are these commandments repeated in the New Testament? Further, some commandments outside the Ten Commandments are even repeated in the New Testament. For instance, as a motivation for loving others, Paul referred to four of the Ten Commandments because they demonstrate this principle, but then, to summarize, he mentioned one from Leviticus 19:18, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” So in what sense has the Law been done away?

    The Solution

    Part of the purpose of the Law was to point men to the coming Savior through its shadows and types. Through the moral law, man could see God’s holy character as well as his own sinfulness and the infinite gulf that separates God and man. Through the ceremonial part of the Law (the priesthood, sacrifices, and tabernacle), man could find the solution to his sin by faith in what this part of the Law represented, a suffering Savior, one who would die as the Lamb of God. But even though no one could perfectly keep the Law, it was also designed for Israel’s immediate blessing by setting forth righteous principles that would show them how to love God and their fellow man. This would produce a stable and secure society as well as a testimony to the nations (Deut. 4:6-8).

    Thus, in 613 commands the Mosaic Law represented an ethical code given by God to Israel to govern the nation until the coming of Messiah, but at their heart, they represented the moral law of God—righteous principles vital to humanity. Today, we are not under this code, but many of its righteous principles, the eternal laws of God, have been carried over and are part of the law of the Spirit of life in Christ (Rom. 8:2) or the law of Christ (1 Cor. 9:21; Gal. 6:2). In this, some of the former commands are carried over (Rom. 13:9), some new commands and guidelines are added (Eph. 4:11f; 1 Tim. 3:1f; 4:4), and some have been revised, as in the case of capitol punishment which is to be exercised by human government (Rom. 13:4).

    It needs to be emphasized that the end of the Mosaic law, including the Ten Commandments, does not cancel or detract one iota from the eternal moral law of God. The moral principles of the ten laws did not begin with Sinai but are as eternal and immutable as the character of God. To understand this should dispel the fears of those who think the abolition of the Mosaic law leaves only a state of lawlessness.

    The moral principles embodied in the law of Moses Paul calls “the righteousness of the law” (Rom 8:4), and shows that such principles are the goal of the Spirit-directed life in the same context in which he teaches the believer is not under the Mosaic law (Rom 6—8).

    This should be no more difficult to understand than the fact that a citizen of the United States is not under the laws of Canada, even though the moral principles underlying the laws of the two countries are the same. When a citizen of the United States becomes a citizen of Canada he does not remain under ten of the best laws of the United States. Nor does the fact that some of the laws of the United States are quite similar to some of the laws of Canada confuse or compromise his new exclusive responsibility to Canada. So the believing Jew of the first century moved entirely from the Mosaic economy of law into the new economy of grace instituted by Jesus Christ (John 1:17).14
    The Lawful Use of the Mosaic Law

    The Law is still good from the standpoint of its main function and purpose as seen above in The Purpose and Function of the Law (1 Tim. 1:8-10; James 2:1-10; Gal. 5:1-3; 6:1). This is how James uses the Law, to reveal sin (James 2:9), to get believers out of self-righteous legalism, and move them into a walk by faith in a living Savior.
    The Relationship of New Testament Believers to the Mosaic Law

    1. He is never saved by keeping the Law (Gal. 2:21).

    2. He is not under the Law as a rule of life, i.e., sacrifice, Sabbath keeping, tithing (Rev. 6:14; Acts 15:5, 24).

    3. Thus, he does not walk by the Law but by the Spirit, which is the new law for the New Testament saint (Rom. 8:4; Gal. 5:5). This is law of liberty through faith in the power of God.

    4. He is dead to the Law (Rom. 7:1-6; Gal. 2:19) by virtue of his union with Jesus Christ who fulfilled the Law.

    5. He is to fulfill the righteousness of the Law, i.e., the spirit of the law as seen in Christ’s words in Matthew 10:37-40 love for God, and love for one’s neighbor (James 2:9). But this can only be fulfilled through a knowledge of Bible truth and the filling of the Holy Spirit, which furnishes the power or ability needed to live the Christian life according to the eternal moral law of God. So we are under God’s new law, the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus (Rom. 8:2-4).

    Christ, the Fulfillment of the Mosaic Law

    Christ fulfilled the Ten Commandments by living a perfect and sinless life. Thus, when man trusts in Christ, Christ’s righteousness is imputed to that individual so we have justification. We have Christ’s righteousness so the Law can’t condemn us (Rom. 8:1; 7:1-6; Rom. 5:1; 4:4-8).

    Christ fulfilled the ceremonial ordinances, the shadows and types of His person and work, by dying on the cross for us and in our place. This showed that God was also perfect justice and sin must be judged, but God provided His Son, the precious Lamb of God. The penalty which the Law exercised was paid. Again there is no condemnation because the believer is “in Christ” (Col. 2:14; Rom. 3:24-25).

    Christ also fulfilled the Social Law, but now He replaces it with a new way of life fitting to our new salvation. He gives provision for the inner man—the indwelling Holy Spirit—who enables us to experience true sanctification so that we may experience also the righteousness of the Law (Rom. 8:2-4).
    Summary

    1. Christ is the end of the Law and believers are not under the Mosaic Law. New Testament believers are not under Law but under grace (Rom. 6:14).

    2. Since the Lord Jesus Christ fulfills the Law by His person and work, believers are under a new law; the obligation to walk by the Spirit of Life through faith (Rom. 8:2-4). If we are led by the Spirit, then we are not under the Law (Gal. 5:18).

    3. Against such, i.e., the fruit of the Spirit, there is no law because the believer is then operating under the highest law, the standards are met as we walk by the Holy Spirit and grow in the Word (Gal. 5:22).

Similar Threads

  1. Disabled woman was tortured and held as a sex slave
    By Lateralus in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 12:43 PM
  2. Uumlau answers your questions about Fi
    By uumlau in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 03:26 PM
  3. Questions about myself, and your opinions.
    By Serendipity in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-28-2009, 04:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO