User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 159

  1. #41
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I'd be careful about saying you use agape love. I'd be skeptical many could. I used my example with God for that very reason. But anyway, what if you developed romantic love for a woman? Don't you think you'd 'choose' to have sex with her? Perhaps you just haven't lived long enough. Really no one can say who they are capable of being sexual with, when they haven't, and will never, be exposed to everyone in the world. It will always be a possibility. Of course, one can close that door, but that is a choice. A choice to limit your sexualoving potentiality.
    I did say “something like agape”. But I’m not religious and I don’t really understand the meaning it has within Christianity. I was referring to more to the Greek origin, something more like consummate love according to the triangular theory of love. ‘Lust’ doesn’t kick in for me without a big ol’ heaping of deeper connection. I can think someone is incredibly attractive without knowing them- like I can think certain fictional characters are incredibly sexy/alluring- but I don’t personally ‘get’ the value of one night stands or the like. But this is besides the point. There’s a distinction between feeling love/appreciation for someone and wanting to do things naked with them. Maybe there’s something about this Christian understanding of agape and I’m missing the point of the op (if there’s anything to Peguy’s post), but I’m working with the distinction between feeling excited about knowing someone in a loving way and actually wanting to jump on them physically and do physical things to them.

    It’s not a matter of whether or not I’d ‘choose’ to have sex with a woman I developed romantic feelings for- I’m trying to explain that romantic feelings for women just don’t happen for me. I can find female friends enthralling, get mentally or emotionally excited (in a positive way) around them directly because of them and our interaction and yet still feel absolutely no urge to do things naked with them; but I do get that latter feeling sometimes for the same kind of interaction with males. Romantic love does not necessarily follow wherever there are feelings of love and/or appreciation. It seems like maybe it does for you, and it seems like you’re insisting that it would for everyone if they were more honest with themselves? At least it sounds to me like that’s what you’re arguing. I guess it’s totally available for you to insist it’s because I’ve ‘chosen’ a preference and “closed the door” to anything else- that I would develop romantic love for women if I chose to- but I’m telling you that would be just be another version of someone ‘forcing’ an orientation on themselves that doesn’t belong there. If it were really that easy to choose and everyone had the capacity to have romantic feelings towards either sex or gender, there’d be *a lot* of people who would choose not to be gay.

    As a more tangible comparison: I love chocolate. If there’s chocolate* in my vicinity, I have a hard time disciplining myself not have any because I truly enjoy the experience of eating it. There’s nothing forced about it, it’s just a truly organic preference I have. If it’s there, I’ll feel distracted with the feeling of wanting it. On the other hand- something I have absolutely no organic appetite for is sauerkraut. There can be a pile of sauerkraut in front of me and no matter how it’s made I’ll feel no appetite for it. No matter how hungry I am- I can be wholly distracted by feelings of hunger- yet I will not be tempted to eat the sauerkraut. It isn't because I've “closed the door” to it, it’s simply because it does not organically appeal to me. In fact, I’ll often lose my appetite from the smell of it.

    *To make this more directly understandable to the INFPs, this analogy also works with pudding.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  2. #42
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default




    So this is just a thread on bisexuality. I don't get it, then.


    Also, agape. *snicker*

  3. #43
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    K. thanks for the input guys.

    I like to try my new ideas out here.

    Good night~
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  4. #44
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    While I usually hate this kind of hippy dippy shit when it comes from college-aged ninnies who "experimented" and took too many gender studies courses, I think I can tolerate it if it's coming from a place of trying to reconcile same-sex attraction with Christianity (or some form of it.) MORE POWER TO YOU.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  5. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    While I usually hate this kind of hippy dippy shit when it comes from college-aged ninnies who "experimented" and took too many gender studies courses, I think I can tolerate it if it's coming from a place of trying to reconcile same-sex attraction with Christianity (or some form of it.) MORE POWER TO YOU.
    I dont really understand that, I mean I dont really understand why people hold angry demonstrations against homosexuality saying things like God Hates Fags and stuff like that either but I've never understood why the topic of minority sexual preferences or behaviours generates so much "fellow travelling".

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I think I might understand the basic point being argued in the OP. It seems to be an attempt to articulate the meaning behind Christ's words of "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind....Love your neighbor as yourself." So our love for God is to be the foundation for our love for not only ourselves but also our neighbor, which in many ways transcends and probes much deeper than mere sexual attraction. This in particular runs contrary to categories of sexual orientation which are more modern in origins. And so on.

    Is this fairly close?
    Interesting interpretation, more interesting perhaps than my immediate response to the OP, I tend to read posts like these as people attempting to reconcile their material lives with spirituality and not vice versa as you appear to have done.

    The love your neighbour as yourself idea is a good one, its older than Jesus though and rooted in the idea that if you do not love your self, you can not love others. There are other good religious teachings corresponding to this, such as anyone saying that they hate their neighbour, who they have seen, and love God, who you have not seen, then you are in error.

    A lot of the questions about things like sexual orientation are all this worldly, when asked about the woman with multiple husbands Jesus simply said that those are worldly concerns and not applicable to the spiritual world, it doesnt make them any the more or less important but I think it should lend perspective to any discussion. These questions I think matter because if people are focused upon them, led down blind alleys by them, they wont consider the perrenial and eternity but the consideration of the perrenial and eternity remains the more important question.

  7. #47
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    A lot of the questions about things like sexual orientation are all this worldly,

    Yes. That is the main nuance I'm trying to tease out in this construct of material body and soulful love. We focus on the material body and our lustful natures as evidenced by our lingo which describes not our love-ableness, but our sexual desires.

    Doesn't anyone else see this as backwards and base? And not doing justice to God for the potentially beautiful creation that is wo/man?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  8. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Yes. That is the main nuance I'm trying to tease out in this construct of material body and soulful love. We focus on the material body and our lustful natures as evidenced by our lingo which describes not our love-ableness, but our sexual desires.

    Doesn't anyone else see this as backwards and base? And not doing justice to God for the potentially beautiful creation that is wo/man?
    Hmm, I would agree that, particularly in this age, there's a greater focus upon sex than love.

    Although they are not the same thing, there are varieties of love and some are not and should not be eroticised or sexualised. Its very freudian to think they should, I'm not saying that is what you are saying but I'm not sure of what your point is entirely.

    There was a film Powder in which a character has a kind of transcendent perspective on the beauty of males and females, I think that he is eventually victimised for being perceived as homosexual but I am not sure that this was his motive. I thought it was a good movie but I think it became controversial because its director was exposed as having some unsavoury tendencies.

  9. #49
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Although they are not the same thing, there are varieties of love and some are not and should not be eroticised or sexualised. Its very freudian to think they should, I'm not saying that is what you are saying but I'm not sure of what your point is entirely.
    Oh, nice. Yes, there most certainly can be love without sex. But there should be no sex without love. Thanks for addressing that.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  10. #50
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    I get it. I even have a girl who seems to have a mega crush on me. Unfortunately, I can't quite transcend that whole pyshical barrier thing, because quite simply she is the wrong sex.
    Which is a bummer, because she's actually quite hot. I like men. I can't over ride that. Honestly I'm stupid for even considering it.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Similar Threads

  1. When there is no personality to type.
    By Tabula in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 10:24 AM
  2. In Charity There is No Excess - Help Type Me!!
    By Applez in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
  3. There is no such thing as personality.
    By ygolo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 10:13 AM
  4. If IP is EJ then is IP IP or can it be IJ?
    By Xander in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 09:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO