User Tag List

First 6141516

Results 151 to 159 of 159

  1. #151
    Member zulidadwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    ISTx
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    Sure, whatever you say.
    Patient... it's a free speech forum after all

  2. #152
    ndovjtjcaqidthi
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zulidadwi View Post
    Patient... it's a free speech forum after all
    No it's not.. Lol.

  3. #153
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I could say that beliefs change or evolve certainly, with new information and perspective, but I don't know how anyone would do it on purpose (or why)...
    Let me give you an example.

    If you believe in Relativity, you would try to change your belief by doing experiments to falsify your belief. For instance, you might measure how far the Sun deflects light.

    And in general, a scientific theory is falsifiable. So scientists are constantly and continually trying to falsify all scientific theories.

    By contrast, religious belief is not falsifiable and depends on the induction of a trance state.

    So the way to change our religious beliefs is to wake from the trance state.

  4. #154
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zulidadwi View Post
    I do not agree, if we have a social support *specially the strong one*, I believe, we will not change our beliefs
    The European Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries gave us the values of freedom and equality, evidence and reason.

    And science, based on evidence and reason, gives us social support to change our beliefs.

    Indeed a scientific belief is only scientific if it is falsifiable. And scientists are constantly seeking to falsify our beliefs.

    When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do?

  5. #155
    Member zulidadwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    ISTx
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The European Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries gave us the values of freedom and equality, evidence and reason.

    And science, based on evidence and reason, gives us social support to change our beliefs.

    Indeed a scientific belief is only scientific if it is falsifiable. And scientists are constantly seeking to falsify our beliefs.

    When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do?
    Hmm...I am not really sure we're discussed the same things. Or maybe I am out of topic. CMIIW

    What I mean about beliefs wasn't just about scientific facts and reasons, but somethings more deeper than that.
    If u changed your mind that easily just because a new development of some facts, i think that's considered inconsistent.
    - give me a kiss, and to that kiss a score; then to that twenty, add a hundred more; a thousand to that hundred : so kiss on, to make that thousand up a million, treble that million, and when that is dare let's kiss a fresh, as when we first begun - Robert Herrick

  6. #156
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zulidadwi View Post
    Hmm...I am not really sure we're discussed the same things. Or maybe I am out of topic. CMIIW

    What I mean about beliefs wasn't just about scientific facts and reasons, but somethings more deeper than that.
    If u changed your mind that easily just because a new development of some facts, i think that's considered inconsistent.
    So you are telling me that when the facts change, you don't change your mind?

  7. #157
    Member zulidadwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    ISTx
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    So you are telling me that when the facts change, you don't change your mind?
    Maybe I can give you an example.

    As for junk food. Consider it you're a junkfood lover, you know the facts that junk food isn't healthy but you still eat it. CMIIW
    - give me a kiss, and to that kiss a score; then to that twenty, add a hundred more; a thousand to that hundred : so kiss on, to make that thousand up a million, treble that million, and when that is dare let's kiss a fresh, as when we first begun - Robert Herrick

  8. #158
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zulidadwi View Post
    Maybe I can give you an example.

    As for junk food. Consider it you're a junkfood lover, you know the facts that junk food isn't healthy but you still eat it. CMIIW
    Knowing junk food isn't healthy could be called a belief, while eating it could be called a behaviour.

    So knowing the facts about junk food changed your belief, but didn't change your behaviour.

    And it is hard to change our behaviour. Our behaviour becomes a habit.

    A new habit can be formed over 21 days by conscious effort. Then the habit is taken for granted and we don't have to think about it.

  9. #159
    Member zulidadwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    ISTx
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Knowing junk food isn't healthy could be called a belief, while eating it could be called a behaviour.

    So knowing the facts about junk food changed your belief, but didn't change your behaviour.

    And it is hard to change our behaviour. Our behaviour becomes a habit.

    A new habit can be formed over 21 days by conscious effort. Then the habit is taken for granted and we don't have to think about it.
    Sometimes, beliefs is a habit, It can't be changed because it's already rooted in your mind and it's influence your behavior too

    Anyway, I am just saying what I am thinking.
    But I respect your opinion
    - give me a kiss, and to that kiss a score; then to that twenty, add a hundred more; a thousand to that hundred : so kiss on, to make that thousand up a million, treble that million, and when that is dare let's kiss a fresh, as when we first begun - Robert Herrick

Similar Threads

  1. When there is no personality to type.
    By Tabula in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 10:24 AM
  2. In Charity There is No Excess - Help Type Me!!
    By Applez in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
  3. There is no such thing as personality.
    By ygolo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 10:13 AM
  4. If IP is EJ then is IP IP or can it be IJ?
    By Xander in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 09:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO