User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your philosophy on God?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pantheism

6 10.53%
  • Agnosticism

7 12.28%
  • Apatheism

2 3.51%
  • Atheism

16 28.07%
  • Deism

1 1.75%
  • Henotheism

1 1.75%
  • Ignosticism

3 5.26%
  • Monotheism

13 22.81%
  • Panentheism

5 8.77%
  • Polytheism

0 0%
  • Theism

2 3.51%
  • Transtheism

1 1.75%
First 6789 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

It's very difficult to say where I stand between agnosticism, atheism, and apatheism.

I don't know for certain that there is no god, though I consider it highly probable there is not one. In absence of evidence for anything so general, no less specific as rules about how to live ones life, I see no reason to live my life as a believer in any such thing.

Usually I call myself an agnostic atheist.

EDIT: Gnosticism should be on this list.

EDIT 2: Then again, I suppose Gnosticism in a generalized, non-Christian form my fall under transtheism.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

You find God by going out of your comfort zone, into foreign territories, and communing with people's of diverging principles and similar thinking.
    I N V I C T U S

I am not agnostic about the existence of unicorns. In fact, I openly declare that they do not exist (outside of human minds). Why should gods be any different? Thus, I am an atheist.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I am not agnostic about the existence of unicorns. In fact, I openly declare that they do not exist (outside of human minds). Why should gods be any different? Thus, I am an atheist.
    On this topic, I call myself an atheist or agnostic based on the kind of god I'm dealing with. The thing is, god is really lacking in a standard definition. For some people, the concept of god is not nearly so easy to discard as unicorns. The god that decides to chuck a hurricane at New Orleans because the USA is coming to support gay marriage, that god is a unicorn. But some, particularly those who subscribe to what the poll would call pantheism or panentheism, follow a god that is much harder to pit evidence against.

For my part, the very same things that make those gods hard to disprove makes them just as hard to prove and removes any chance of their having practical relevance, so I still see no reason to believe in them, but in fairness I can't really say whether or not they exist.

I'm pretty sure it was those arguments that resulted in the flying spaghetti monster.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I call myself an agnostic atheist.
    The problem with being an agnostic or an atheist is that we become what we worship.

And being an agnostic or an atheist means we are blind to what we worship.

In other words, we hide from ourselves that which we worship.

This is dangerous because what we worship controls us without our knowing.

So you see, agnostics don't know, they don't know what they worship, but what they worship knows them.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

I hate the label of atheists as atheists are increasingly becoming catty. They are taking a lot of what made me dislike religion, like the idea that they are the only ones right and all other ideas are trash, and making it their own. They are even building a megachurch for atheists. How absurd! And agnosticism probably annoys me more than religious types. Make a decision, it's not that hard.

I wish often that I was religious, as religious people tend to be happier. I'd like some of that happiness. But I cannot delude myself enough to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by taylord View Post
    I wish often that I was religious, as religious people tend to be happier. I'd like some of that happiness. But I cannot delude myself enough to believe.
    Consider, all you need to do is to suspend your disbelief.

And look, everytime you go to the movies, you suspend your disbelief.

Yes, the suspension of disbelief if the province of art, religion and romance.

Already in so many areas we suspend our disbelief during the day, and we just take it for granted.

And religious belief is no different.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Well the examples you use - for watching a movie for example - I only have to suspend disbelief for the duration of the movie. And even then if a movie is particularly disconnected from reality it's hard to maintain that suspension. To suspend disbelief for an entire lifetime of religious worship seems like too much of a daunting task for me.
    "In Heaven, everything is fine." - The Lady in the Radiator

Quote Originally Posted by taylord View Post
    Well the examples you use - for watching a movie for example - I only have to suspend disbelief for the duration of the movie. And even then if a movie is particularly disconnected from reality it's hard to maintain that suspension. To suspend disbelief for an entire lifetime of religious worship seems like too much of a daunting task for me.
    The important thing about the suspension of disbelief is that we consciously decide when to suspend our disbelief and when not to suspend our disbelief.

So we consciously decide to suspend our disbelief when we go into a movie. And consciously not to suspend our disbelief when we leave the theatre.

When the suspension of disbelief is out of our control it is called a delusion. And there are personal delusions as in schizophrenia, and there are group delusions as in religion.

So I am suggesting to you that you take control of your suspension of disbelief.

And so there is no need to reject religion any more than there is a need to reject the movies.

All we need to do is to take control of ourselves.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    And so there is no need to reject religion any more than there is a need to reject the movies.
    I think it's a little inaccurate to compare something as huge as religious preferences to something as frivolous as going to the movies. Religion is a core belief for many, especially for those who receive the most benefit from it, and there is no suspension of disbelief - they usually believe that stuff actually happened to the bottom of their heart, and could never abandon it. I don't think having a casual belief in God like you have a casual belief in what happens on the movie screen would allow me to reap the benefits of religious feeling, but that's just me.
    "In Heaven, everything is fine." - The Lady in the Radiator