User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your philosophy on God?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pantheism

6 10.53%
  • Agnosticism

7 12.28%
  • Apatheism

2 3.51%
  • Atheism

16 28.07%
  • Deism

1 1.75%
  • Henotheism

1 1.75%
  • Ignosticism

3 5.26%
  • Monotheism

13 22.81%
  • Panentheism

5 8.77%
  • Polytheism

0 0%
  • Theism

2 3.51%
  • Transtheism

1 1.75%
First 34567 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I found a very interesting post below about different philosophies on God from another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by nicothyun View Post
    I don't know, but then if I have to say about my relationship with God. I think it would be this:
    "I don't believe in God, but I miss him." I am haunted by this certainty: all my life would be spent seeking for a God who does not knows and loves me.

I grew up in a non-religious household. My parents believed in Taoism and most of my relatives subscribed to Buddhism with the occasional one or two Roman Catholics and Muslims. I was never expected to choose a religion, or to believe in a God. I think it is the way Taoism works, you kind of choose and craft your own Way - your spiritual beliefs and values - and this organic and malleable system has sort of framed my own beliefs on God. I don't know with certainty. I kind of believe there is a cosmic force at work; something greater and grander than we could comprehend, it may be God or it may not be. It has the sensibilities of a Spinoza's God. And I think the lack of God and a religious structure for moral conduct and ethics during my childhood and teenage hood kind of influenced me. I am horribly uncertain about my own beliefs and values towards God - the only thing I am sort of certain or would like it to be true: God is a product of human societies and minds - a long history of shaped human perceptions, motives and actions.

When I see this world, laid and constructed so beautifully, I want to believe in a God created world. But I don't know. I like to believe God is a watchmaker, impartial and unconcerned with the trivial affairs of Man. For Man was not a carefully constructed being it created. I think I am afflicted with this curse or this wanting or desire to pursue God; to seek for my spiritual Truth or my Way. I become incredibly envious and sad when I see my religious friends talking about their religion. Because they share or have this private spiritual world that I can never belong to and it feels incredibly lonely and sad. Once, I fasted with my Muslim friend during the fasting month (actually I just felt really bad eating in front of her since she looked so hungry; so I ended up not eating for the whole day) and during the moment when they broke fast, where we were seated in a Muslim eating place, it was incredibly beautiful to hear the Islamic prayers and see them joined during that brief moment that commenced the end of the fasting session. And I feel like I can never truly belong to any part of it.

I read the Bible, some of the Buddhist scriptures, attempts to read the Quran - all in the vain hopes of finding a God that I could love and believe in. But then with churches and organized religions, I don't know, at the end of the day, they are created with human intentions and motives and values and so they are flawed and imperfect interpretations of the Christian God. The different groups have different motives for valuing a belief over another. For example, the Bible states that homosexuality is a sin, but then stealing and lust are also sins and he has never explicitly stated a hierarchy in the sins. So why is there such a huge hooha over homosexuality being a greater sin than the mentioned? I don't know, I think that maybe it is because humans manipulate and bend them for their own purposes. And at the end of the day, even if there was really a God (loving or impartial), our human minds and interpretations blinds us from the real truth. (?) I don't know. Probably explains why I can't seem to subscribe to the Christian God or as a matter of fact, to any other Gods.

But then I am still searching and wandering.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    "There is no god but God" would have persuaded me. Unfortunate.
    -snicker-

Ahem, sorry.

I grew up in an agnostic household of WASPs who called themselves Christian but never went to church. I considered myself an atheist through most of high school, but now I identify most with neutral monism (essentially pantheism). Although there are still so many things I don't know, and possibly wouldn't even be able to comprehend if faced with.

Yet, I think Yoda probably said it best: "[M]y ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.”

The little green guru.
    Strong preference of Introversion over Extroversion (89%) ; Distinct preference of Intuition over Sensing (62%) ; Slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (12%) ; Slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%) - { slightly cracked }

- MY TUMBLR -

Riva

Apatheism

Besides if there is / are one / any and we are to succumb to his / their will or at his / their mercy they would / should probably take a more active part in our lives.

What I'm simply trying to say is where on earth is he / are they?

I don't deny the fact that there is a possibility that he / they could exist.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Apatheism

Besides if there is / are one / any and we are to succumb to his / their will or at his / their mercy they would / should probably take a more active part in our lives.

What I'm simply trying to say is where on earth is he / are they?

I don't deny the fact that there is a possibility that he / they could exist.

All around us offering unconditional love, but it is up to us to draw near and bask in it.

When you delve into God and spend time contemplating him, your life begins a journey that you could never have imagined or conjured on your own. That is how you know God is real. Try it.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    All around us offering unconditional love, but it is up to us to draw near and bask in it.

When you delve into God and spend time contemplating him, your life begins a journey that you could never have imagined or conjured on your own. That is how you know God is real. Try it.
    That's interesting, because I could say the exact same thing about atheism. I grew up being told that the tenets of Orthodox Judaism were real. At 15 I started to wonder whether it was all bullshit. Once you look at the world and consider the possibility that there is no God, you can't really find room for him anymore. You can never re-see God in life. (Speaking about the conventional, personal God, not an abstract one, which also has problems).

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    That's interesting, because I could say the exact same thing about atheism. I grew up being told that the tenets of Orthodox Judaism were real. At 15 I started to wonder whether it was all bullshit. Once you look at the world and consider the possibility that there is no God, you can't really find room for him anymore. You can never re-see God in life. (Speaking about the conventional, personal God, not an abstract one, which also has problems).

Well, you are in your early 20's, aren't you? Not to be dismissive, but I think intellectuals tend to have an atheistic phase, if you will, from like 20-40, then midlife hits and problems mount and you realize no matter how good your life is, or how much money you have, you still feel empty. Then if you're lucky, you find God, in some form of spirituality or religion, or self-help book. I bet you'll re-embrace your roots again once you've lived a while longer.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Well, you are in your early 20's, aren't you? Not to be dismissive, but I think intellectuals tend to have an atheistic phase, if you will, from like 20-40, then midlife hits and problems mount and you realize no matter how good your life is, or how much money you have, you still feel empty. Then if you're lucky, you find God, in some form of spirituality or religion, or self-help book. I bet you'll re-embrace your roots again once you've lived a while longer.
    I'm 32 and I've been an atheist since 15. I don't think it's a phase. I do think people feel empty, but the question is how they go about filling that void. Some people study it, contemplate it, merge with it. Other people fill it with stories that soothe them, regardless of whether they're true or not. Ironically, I think being born again and finding solace in religion is the phase, not the other way around.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    An Atheist meets God
    Lol!! This video is hilarious. Definitely a monotheist, tried to intellectualize my way out of that one but couldn't. I celebrate Christian holidays kind of. Sometimes I give up stuff for lent even because it's a healthy thing to lose your worldly vices once in a while. That and we seem to all agree that sacrifice is a good thing. But not lives.

It's too 4AM for me to go into great detail on this. I need to go to bed.
    Good night.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Glycerine

Agnostic with atheistic leanings.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

I like the idea of one higher being that controls the environment. Evolution could be a great example to prove this. I don't belive in a personal god, who listen to someone's prays, more in an intelligent computer system, that formed the laws of nature. Would this be Pantheism or something like that? Though i voted atheism since i technically don't belief in god.