User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your philosophy on God?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pantheism

6 10.53%
  • Agnosticism

7 12.28%
  • Apatheism

2 3.51%
  • Atheism

16 28.07%
  • Deism

1 1.75%
  • Henotheism

1 1.75%
  • Ignosticism

3 5.26%
  • Monotheism

13 22.81%
  • Panentheism

5 8.77%
  • Polytheism

0 0%
  • Theism

2 3.51%
  • Transtheism

1 1.75%
First 12345 Last

Absolute power is characterised by the power of life or death. And this is precisely the power of God - God had the power of life and death over each one of us.

And God created us in His own image so naturally we imitated God's absolute power in institutional slavery. For the slave owner had the absolute power of life and death over their slaves.

And slavery has been the history of humanity right up until 1833 when institutional slavery was abolished for the first time in history by the House of Commons.

So why are we surprised today to find we still hanker for absolute power by worshipping a God of absolute power.

And whatever we worship, we become.

And indeed absolute power is best expressed in totalitarian ideologies - two of whom we have defeated, while the third is on the rise.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't find it surprising that people are monotheistic, but I find it surprising when smart people are monotheistic.

I don't think it's possible to believe in god when you really consider the evidence logically, which there is none. Some people can't, which is understandable. But others, who are able to question and reason, abandon those faculties when it comes to god. That I just don't get.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Pantheism - The Forever All

How I Define The Universe as a Pantheist

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

God is awesome and nothing compares to God.

As the angels side in the war in heaven proclaimed when they kicked Lucifer and his followers to the curb:

Who is like unto God?

<3 <3

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

There is no god, or sky Father. This is an invention, created to understand things that were beyond the comprehension of primitive man, and perpetuated by the inner-6-year-old of modern humans.
    We now can see deeply into the heavens, and god has receded with each technological advance.
    So god is an entirely irrational concept. But you are free to believe in anything that gives you comfort, no matter how fanciful or irrational!

I suppose pantheistic. I see God as "all that is." I believe everything is part of a greater whole. Everything is interconnected and interdependent. Even in the Bible God is the great I Am. All that is. Simply.

I was raised Christian/monotheistic. I have little use for religion. It is a flawed human construct which often serves to cloud true spirituality and more often stunt real spiritual growth and exploration. I see it as a means of control. And a way for many people to pretend to be spiritual without actually giving it much thought.

Permabanned

I think I always want to know more. The concept of God fulfills that. Though I think it's a good thing, sometimes it tortures me. But, realizing that that isn't the aim of that goal, that the goals are above me, and by implication, that God is as well, is comforting. So, basically, theism.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    But really the kicker is the moral argument against God.

For we know that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrrupts absolutely. And as God has absolute power, God is absolutely corrupt.

But worse, by worshipping an absolutely corrupt God, we become corrupt ourselves.

So common decency suggests we cease worshipping a God with absolute power.
    Perhaps power just tends to attract the absolutely corruptible

http://www.nature.com/news/2008/0804....2008.738.html
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    God is awesome and nothing compares to God.

As the angels side in the war in heaven proclaimed when they kicked Lucifer and his followers to the curb:

Who is like unto God?

<3 <3
    Gosh, and the answer is -

We are! 'Course we are created in the image and likeness of God.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Panentheism mostly I guess
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison