User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Are the examples of feminine logic two version of feminine logic? Or are they each supposed to be contradictions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    This is close to the question I was going to ask.

Did you phrase feminine logic in the way that you did to show both its non-universality, as well as its potential to usurp propositions that are universal? Otherwise I'm not following...
    It's hard to follow. When I first heard Zizek explain it I didn't udnerstand at all, so I read a lot on it, because it bothered me.

It is just one logic. Both masculine and feminine logic are self-contradictory, because existence can never be fully explained. That which is outside of our "symbolic order" i.e. which we cannot verbalize, is "The Real".

The self-contradiction of masculine logic is precisely that it is universal, so something must be excluded. i.e. "All swans are white. Those which are not white, are aberrations, not true swans".

The self-contradiction of feminine logic is precisely the opposite, "Not all swans are white. But no swans are not white". i.e., "I don't accept a universalizing claim, but I cannot find anything outside the existing universal order"

That example is very simple for the sake of clarity. To give a better example

Masc logic: "Humans are inherently capitalist. All societies which were not capitalist were deformed, aberations against human nature". Universality with one exception.

Fem logic: "Not all humans are inherently capitalist. There are no societies which override the capitalist order". i.e., "We cannot make universal claims. Precisely because of this, there is no alternate universe except for this one".

I like this because, there is an "universal function", which nobody truly lives up to, but which nobody lives outside of.

Another good example Zizek gives is "The Undead", from horror movies. i.e. "If you are not Alive, you are Dead. But if you are not Dead, you are not necessarily Alive. You can be Not-Dead. Or the Undead. To "The Living", they are still part of The Dead. They are just The Dead which refuses to fully die. The walking representation of Death.

So masculine logic would say "Everyone who is not Alive, is Dead. Except for the Undead, who are an aberration".

Feminine logic would say, "Not everyone who is Not Alive is Dead, but there is no-one who is Not Alive, who is Not Dead." i.e., no alternative universal vision of life vs death is proposed.

We instead get this tension, a strata caught in the middle, the Undead, who contradict the the existing universality of Alive vs Dead, but who still exist inside of it, and paradoxically, accept that same universality in practice.

I hope that makes sense! I am not saying it's "true" but it's interesting (to me).

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Okie dokie. *all in*

meaning i'm calling your bluff. or did you get that.

No bluff, I would do it.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    It's hard to follow. When I first heard Zizek explain it I didn't udnerstand at all, so I read a lot on it, because it bothered me.

It is just one logic. Both masculine and feminine logic are self-contradictory, because existence can never be fully explained. That which is outside of our "symbolic order" i.e. which we cannot verbalize, is "The Real".

The self-contradiction of masculine logic is precisely that it is universal, so something must be excluded. i.e. "All swans are white. Those which are not white, are aberrations, not true swans".

The self-contradiction of feminine logic is precisely the opposite, "Not all swans are white. But no swans are not white". i.e., "I don't accept a universalizing claim, but I cannot find anything outside the existing universal order"

That example is very simple for the sake of clarity. To give a better example

Masc logic: "Humans are inherently capitalist. All societies which were not capitalist were deformed, aberations against human nature". Universality with one exception.

Fem logic: "Not all humans are inherently capitalist. There are no societies which override the capitalist order". i.e., "We cannot make universal claims. Precisely because of this, there is no alternate universe except for this one".

I like this because, there is an "universal function", which nobody truly lives up to, but which nobody lives outside of.

Another good example Zizek gives is "The Undead", from horror movies. i.e. "If you are not Alive, you are Dead. But if you are not Dead, you are not necessarily Alive. You can be Not-Dead. Or the Undead. To "The Living", they are still part of The Dead. They are just The Dead which refuses to fully die. The walking representation of Death.

So masculine logic would say "Everyone who is not Alive, is Dead. Except for the Undead, who are an aberration".

Feminine logic would say, "Not everyone who is Not Alive is Dead, but there is no-one who is Not Alive, who is Not Dead." i.e., no alternative universal vision of life vs death is proposed.

We instead get this tension, a strata caught in the middle, the Undead, who contradict the the existing universality of Alive vs Dead, but who still exist inside of it, and paradoxically, accept that same universality in practice.

I hope that makes sense! I am not saying it's "true" but it's interesting (to me).

No bluff, I would do it.
    You said you would, but you didn't. So you lied.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    xxTP

You said you would, but you didn't. So you lied.
    I didn't "Not Do It". I just didn't "Do It" yet. It's different.

/feminine logic.

WALMART

I understand what it is getting at. Seems like men are deductive, women are inductive, etc.

I think the flaw of expression comes in at the forced duality between men and women. The women's theorized POV makes no sense from casual observation, which perhaps is what he/you are getting at.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I didn't "Not Do It". I just didn't "Do It" yet. It's different.

/feminine logic.
    I see. Well, I'll watch for it.

Is there a statue of limitations on a woman's prerogative for doing something she says she'll do, but not necessarily when it sounds like she should do it?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    xxTP

I see. Well, I'll watch for it.
    I sent it to you, but I can't guarantee it was the right number. I did my best.

Is there a statue of limitations on a woman's prerogative for doing something she says she'll do, but not necessarily when it sounds like she should do it?
    Long words, didn't read.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I sent it to you, but I can't guarantee it was the right number. I did my best.

Long words, didn't read.
    409-867-5309

That's okay, I prefer only those with higher than an eighth grade education txt me anyway.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    xxTP

409-867-5309

That's okay, I prefer only those with higher than an eighth grade education txt me anyway.
    Harsh...I'll try to find an illiterate girl instead then.

/TypoC meta-reference.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Harsh...I'll try to find an illiterate girl instead then.

/TypoC meta-reference.
    Thank you for noticing.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    xxTP

I'm flattered by the kind offer, but I have to pass...

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhound Gand
    Let her lash out and crack the whip but not in bed I don't play rough
    No I can't be tied down with a girl that wants me tied up