123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default The Compromise Between Faith and Reality

This thought was triggered by reading this Yahoo news story today -- where one of the young actors on "Two and a Half Men" is acting in a contradictory manner regarding his involvement on a show he thinks is "doing the work of the devil".

'Two and a Half Men' star begs viewers to stop watching his 'filth' of a show

Was "Two and a Half Men" teen star Angus T. Jones so turned off by the recent storyline that had his character Jake Harper making out with Miley Cyrus that he's now biting the hand that feeds him by trashing the series he's starred on for the last decade?

No, it goes much deeper than that. Not only has the 19-year-old called his series "filth" in a new interview, but he also begs viewers to stop watching "Two and a Half Men" and talks about how being on the show goes against his religious beliefs...

"If you watch 'Two and a Half Men,' please stop watching 'Two and a Half Men.' I don't want to be on it. Please stop watching it. Please stop filling your head with filth.

Jones also talks in the video about how [his show] does the work of the devil. "A lot of people don't like to think about how deceptive the enemy is," Jones says. "He's been doing this for a lot longer than any of us have been around. There's no playing around when it comes to eternity....

"It's very weird being on a television show, especially now that I'm trying to walk with God, because my television show has nothing to do with God and doesn't want anything to do with God," Jones said... He said that he had considered not continuing his role, but "it's a strange position that I'm put in … I'm under contract for another year, so it's not too much of a decision on my part. … I know God has me there for a reason for another year."

....A representative for Jones, who is reportedly paid between $300,000 and $350,000 per episode for "Two and a Half Men," has not responded to Yahoo! TV's request for comment.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/-two-and-a-...212823396.html
    Is there a way to analyze this behavior in a coherent way, to reconcile it? Or how would things have to be changed in order for it to be consistent? Currently, it's "God's will" he's on the show and he claims he believes God has a plan, so why would he want to derail God's plan by dissing his show if he has decided to stay on it? Or if he quit the show while thinking it is God's plan, how would he reconcile that with it being "GOd's plan?"

The money only complicates it. I think one of the show creators commented on how it would be easier to take seriously if he would stop taking his paycheck. For comparison, I'm at the high-end of the tech industry (although not in a leadership position), and it would still take me 4-5 years to make what he makes for one episode of this show. And compared to the salaries of the cross-section of audience for his show?

What kind of stances would be consistent in this case?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I heard about this on the radio this morning, and find it fascinating. I have no answers though; I'll be interested to hear what people's thoughts are.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Anew Leaf

I find the whole thing very strange.

If he has this Moment of Faith, fine... to each our own.

But if he actually wants to make a difference then:

1- Leave the show in a respectful manner. If asked about it, I think it is less judgemental to be like "This isn't working for me for faith reasons" than "AMGS ITS A TOOL OF THE DEVIL."
    2- Donate money you made from this enterprise to a charity, start a charity, just something other than banking it.

I just can't take this kind of attention getting scheme seriously, and it annoys me that once again the idea of God is being used as some kind of magic voodoo shield.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I find the whole thing very strange.

If he has this Moment of Faith, fine... to each our own.

But if he actually wants to make a difference then:

1- Leave the show in a respectful manner. If asked about it, I think it is less judgemental to be like "This isn't working for me for faith reasons" than "AMGS ITS A TOOL OF THE DEVIL."
    2- Donate money you made from this enterprise to a charity, start a charity, just something other than banking it.

I just can't take this kind of attention getting scheme seriously, and it annoys me that once again the idea of God is being used as some kind of magic voodoo shield.
    This.

Sorry, bro, two masters. There's stuff about that in The Book.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Damn it. Why do we always get the lamest actors on our team? Kirk Cameron, Steve Baldwin, and now this kid? Great. I hope he's saving his money because the next and only job he'll get will be Tribulation Force 5: Two and a Half Anti-Christs.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

To be kinder to "the kid," he started the show when he was 11 before he probably converted, and he's only 19 now and probably ended up in a position he did not expect to be in -- converted to a religious belief where his actual career and income is opposed to it in his opinion, and he has a contract that he would have to actively break... which, as a kid, he probably still hasn't realized he can do that if he's willing to pay the price.

So his behavior reminds me of the reactions of religious friends I had in college who converted later in their teens and went really into the faith. His opinions might be strong, but he is also really kind of a 'baby' in the faith and still figuring out how to reconcile it. His convictions are stronger than his actual resilience and ability to run the race.

I think an adult with more experience would likely either not say anything publicly, or they would break contract and risk their career and pay the losses if they felt they could no longer endorse being on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Damn it. Why do we always get the lamest actors on our team? Kirk Cameron, Steve Baldwin, and now this kid? Great. I hope he's saving his money because the next and only job he'll get will be Tribulation Force 5: Two and a Half Anti-Christs.
    Well, you have Mel Gibson too !!!

Uh... Oh. Sorry.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, you have Mel Gibson too !!!

Uh... Oh. Sorry.
    That's the catholic team. They got other winners, too, like snooki.

As an example of a more mature Christian who does TV comedies I give you Tony Hale (aka Buster Bluth from Arrested Development).

So are you connecting with the material on a Christian level?

I don’t really go there initially. I kind of go for the entertainment and I like the material, and then maybe think about the spiritual ramifications more afterward. When people ask me about my faith, when they ask how can you be a Christian in Hollywood? I honestly don’t see how people don’t have a spiritual foundation in Hollywood. Because there’s just so much uncertainty in Hollywood. And to know that someone is in control of my life, that I have a Father taking care of me, gives me so much peace when things are so chaotic. If it’s all dependent on me, I’d be completely crazy. Cause then you’d just be basing everything on chance. And the business is so random already. I’d go crazy.

It’s somewhat known that you’re a Christian. Do people put pressure on you to be more vocal about your faith?

I don’t necessarily feel pressure. Maybe if I was doing Left Behinds or something. But after the material I’ve done, I’ve lost a lot of the Christian audience. They don’t even think I’m going the right path. Which I kind of prefer. If they want to make that call, that’s their prerogative, but it doesn’t bother me. If anything, I enjoy having the discussions. If somebody wants to talk about it, I love talking about it. But I can’t be in control of what people’s thoughts are about my being in the business and my material. Cause it’s so unique for each person. There’s a market for people that want to do the Christian films, and I think that’s great. I think that’s great for them. I really do, because it’s all so individual.
    http://www.mbird.com/2009/07/tony-ha...d-mockingbird/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i mean.. i agree that the show is filth but probably for completely different reasons than him. i feel that his opinion's pretty pointless as long as he's still cashing his paychecks. he apparently is worth 20 million. filth pays.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    That's the catholic team. They got other winners, too, like snooki.
    OMG. I'm so sorry... honestly.