First 1234 Last

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Is there a way to analyze this behavior in a coherent way, to reconcile it? Or how would things have to be changed in order for it to be consistent?
    Resentment against mummy and daddy for turning him into a child actor?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    This.

Sorry, bro, two masters. There's stuff about that in The Book.
    What @Saturned said, and this.

It just doesn't make any sense the way he puts it. "This show is filth, and a tool of the devil, but I'm going to finish out the contract, because that's God's will and plan for me." Sorry, any way you look at it - as person of faith or of no faith, I'd say - that makes no sense. It just makes him look greedy and hypocritical. If he really has these strong convictions about the show, he should just leave it now.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

garbage

The last time one of the main actors on this show became so outspoken and contrarian, they gave his character a gritty, offscreen death. Then again, Robert Pattinson set a huge precedent for hating on one's own major franchise and cash cow--so maybe it'll be shrugged off.

But could he leave his contract, even if he wanted to? He could make an absolutely moral stand to the point of, say, ruining the rest of his life or his career or going to jail or what have you--I have no idea what the consequences of breaching contract would be--but I doubt that many of us would go nearly that far for our own convictions.. especially at an age where one's still trying to find one's convictions.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I heard about this. I also heard he was having alcohol and drug problems which caused him to reevaluate his life and turn more to his faith. He's still young, dealin with a lot of money and publicity and probably pressure from agents, family, employers ect. I heard this was something he said before talking to producers so I'm guessing it was sort of I calculated and off the cuff.

I agree that continuing to accept money for something you find "filthy" while public ally denouncing it seems hypocritical but I'm guess he's a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Other people might go through the same crisis of not believing they are doing wrong things but also scared to drastically change their lives to follow something a lot of other people might not understand. But those people get away with saying this stuff because they aren't saying it to the press.

See this a real damn problem if you believe in predestination, now I've read the discourse on free will between Erasmus and Luther and solidly believe that Erasmus won the day in that debate, also he comes of as the more modern thinker in a positive sense of that word, its rational and logical what he says about free will, its supported by scriptures too, although he gives a good explanation as to why he wouldnt rely on scripture in the way that Luther does.

Calvin too took the error even further, God is a moral monster if you accept predestination as posited by either Luther or Calvin, as Erasmus said, and that was exploited by the atheists who were sort of the "protestants protestants".

So, I do not necessarily believe that appearing in that show is part of God's plan for that guy, perhaps acting is, perhaps getting the word out is, I dont know that guy could only know that himself, through discernment and private conscience.

I dont believe that he's hypocritical or not worth listening to or shouldnt take a position on the moral messages in the show because he's paid to perform, its an imperfect world and its not possible therefore to be a perfect witness, Thomas Aquinas made arguments against communism in property on this basis, I'm more of a communist than him but I understand what he was meaning.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Kids aren't meant to be exposed to religion. Some of them end up taking it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    To be kinder to "the kid," he started the show when he was 11 before he probably converted, and he's only 19 now and probably ended up in a position he did not expect to be in -- converted to a religious belief where his actual career and income is opposed to it in his opinion, and he has a contract that he would have to actively break... which, as a kid, he probably still hasn't realized he can do that if he's willing to pay the price.

So his behavior reminds me of the reactions of religious friends I had in college who converted later in their teens and went really into the faith. His opinions might be strong, but he is also really kind of a 'baby' in the faith and still figuring out how to reconcile it. His convictions are stronger than his actual resilience and ability to run the race.

I think an adult with more experience would likely either not say anything publicly, or they would break contract and risk their career and pay the losses if they felt they could no longer endorse being on the show.
    This.

When I was 19 and a newly converted Christian I went through the same superfundamentalist phase. But I didn't have the press in my face recording everything I said. He is young, he is confused, there is pressure from agents, parents etc. I feel sorry for him more than anything and hope things work out.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    The last time one of the main actors on this show became so outspoken and contrarian, they gave his character a gritty, offscreen death. Then again, Robert Pattinson set a huge precedent for hating on one's own major franchise and cash cow--so maybe it'll be shrugged off.

But could he leave his contract, even if he wanted to? He could make an absolutely moral stand to the point of, say, ruining the rest of his life or his career or going to jail or what have you--I have no idea what the consequences of breaching contract would be--but I doubt that many of us would go nearly that far for our own convictions.. especially at an age where one's still trying to find one's convictions.
    I don't know what his contract says, but I assume there is standard boilerplate out there for actors on tv shows?

I did a little Googling and came up with a general assessment of what can happen when one breaks a contract:

If a person breaks a contract he/she will be liable for all monetary damages that reasonably flow from the breach. This is strictly a civil liability. There are no criminal penalties involved in breaching a contract per se.

In addition to being liable for monetary damages, the person breaching will lose all rights to enforce the contract against the other party in the event that it becomes desirable to reinstate the contract.

Further, in certain circumstance, the other party can go to court to force the breaching party to perform what is required under the terms of the contract whether he/she wants to or not.

Certain exceptions to the rule on responsibility for damages exist. A contract for personal services may be breached and the other party simply has no obligation to pay the person breaching the contract. The breaching party cannot be forced to perform the services under the contract mainly because the Thirteenth Amendment to the US Constitution abolished slavery and involuntary servitude.
    Here's a statement with overviews of a bunch of legal cases, including a few acting ones, and the outcomes:
    http://www.law.nyu.edu/ecm_dlv2/grou...pro_063763.pdf

But I think the gist probably is that (1) he might have to pay damages, aside from losing the pay from whatever episodes he did not perform and (2) it could dissuade other shows from hiring him because he's a risk. Those are the two major things I can imagine.

But honestly, as I said, the kid is making $350K an episode at age 19. I've been working in my field for 20 years with a college education and it would take me 4-5 years to make that. (Just think -- after three episodes at this point in his career, he is a millionaire.... and he is *19*.) Regardless of what he does, he's definitely NOT going to be hurting for money compared with any 19-year-old kid who was never on a TV show; and he's probably going to make many times over what I'LL be making in a life time, and I've got a decent career. SO I don't see money as a risk; I see his career as a risk; but I've never watched the show, so I don't even know if this kid has any acting skills and a career ahead of him with TV/movies.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

wow... that's like saying "this food is awful!" and continuing eating it anyways... one of those things that makes you think "wow... I'm really dealing with a BRIGHT one here!"

if he really felt that against it I'm sure that he wouldn't accept the money that he's paid for doing "the devil's work"... it's not like he doesn't have plenty of money as it is... he could probably even find some way out of his contract if he really feels that strongly

I'm not particularly religious (agnostic) but to continue being paid $300k + per episode for something that he believes is evil seems kind of hypocritical to me in a way...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    This.

When I was 19 and a newly converted Christian I went through the same superfundamentalist phase. But I didn't have the press in my face recording everything I said. He is young, he is confused, there is pressure from agents, parents etc. I feel sorry for him more than anything and hope things work out.
    Ha! I never experienced the zeal of the converted but I do think that he's just young and the media attention will be unfair to him, the christians will think he's bad press, the athiestic liberals will make him a fool or hypocrite.