• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

True power is taken / true power is given?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've heard both claims stated with certainty multiple times. One way to reconcile the contradictions with these statements would be to list and catalogue situations where the gain of power falls into one or the other catalogue. I'm not sure it would satisfy the philosopher in anyone, though.

There's a common law idea that no-one can grant another person a better title than what they have themselves. For example, in any jurisdiction anyone who's selling stolen merchandize isn't a legitimate owner of the items, and can't grant another person the title of an owner. Also, I can't give you the licence to kill nor you can give that licence to me. There's also the idea that people have the power. If an artist creates music that people like, they're able to cash on it, and they're essentially being granted the right to be rich.

One might ask where the powers come from. Not everything is consensual, and the higher powers - or those with the money - haven't probably born that way. Many people hold extrodinary powers without anyone having approved of them. They haven't needed to ask anyone if it's okay for them to take their rights. There are lot of self-determinate people who draw their sense of right and wrong from their own will and ability, and they're less likely to ask approval for their actions, whether that's by law or contracts.

So, I'm saying that there's both kinds of processes in existence. Power is both taken and granted. But, that only begins to explain this situation. Can we get a more satisfying answer for the question about the origins of power?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm exploring the idea if a person can be their own justice subject or the power subject. I'm thinking about it in similar way to facts. Many people refer to them, like them, adore them, fear them - but few people study to get facts.

Perhaps power is something similar: few people find it, but those that do, develop a logistic network or a hierarchy to transmit their power to distant subjects for a wider influence. The idea being - perhaps existing power structures are over-advertised by those who are in control, whereas many people hold their own key to success by acquiring their own power. Not necesessarily power over others, but power over their physical bodies, power over their mind, etc.

I don't know. Would be cool to throw a few ideas.

Edit: clarification - I just did a 19 hour work day yesterday - I'm still a bit out of my mind. But.. what I mean by all that.. perhaps people can and do acquire power just from their actions with the reality, not because some social structure grants them the power.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
You should read Niccolo Machiavelli's "The Prince". The whole book is basically about this concept.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
True power is given, by someone who is powerful enough to do so. Only those that are powerless steal or try to disparage against those that have more.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I have that in my bookshelf, thanks for the hint ;)

What about Robert Green's "The 48 laws of power". That's good too. Also, check out the books by INTJ author Ha Ha Lung. He has several books of this same style.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it is neither, simply the ability to effect action.