User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Simone Weil

  1. #1
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Simone Weil

    Simone Weil (pronounced Vey) was a French mystic who was the first woman to graduate from the Sorbonne and who wrote the Constitution of France only to have it rejected by Charles de Gaulle as too mystical.

    Simone sacrificed herself for others all her life, Simone devoted herself to the love of others, but neglected to love herself. Simone was indeed a very lovable person, but she never realised that she, herself, was such a lovable person.

    And I wonder how much we are like Simone. Are we failing to realise what a lovable person we are? I think the answer is yes, for the secret hidden in narcissism is self hatred. Of course narcissism looks like self love, but this is a naive mistake, and narcissism is self hatred.

    But we live in a society that runs on narcissism. We are constantly encouraged to buy because, "we deserve it". We wage continual war abroad and continual narcissism at home. And like Simone Weil we don't realise how lovable we are.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    I dont think it was self-loathing that drove Simone Weil, you know she was a socialist and influenced by Catholicism Victor?

    Anyway, I agree with your sentiments about narcissism. People are going to get tired of it but I've got an Erich Fromm recommendation in relation to this topic, his book Man For Himself (from Every Man For Himself), his "therapeutic method", if he can be said to have had one, included becoming aware of and working on your narcissism as one of its prescriptions, I think there's about six or seven, I dont remember them all off hand a lot of them are similar to buddhist or zen ideas. Its listed in another book called The Art of Listening.

    Bertrand Russell's Conquest of Happiness makes some similar prescriptions to those of Fromm but coming from a philosophical direction and rejecting self-absorption.

  3. #3
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Yup.

    We crave vulnerability, which comes from letting our guard down and showing our whole--but we're afraid to do so because we're not sure whether we'll be loved for who we are.

    Narcissism ties in as it's a huge form of self-delusion. It's how we deflect unwanted criticisms and stick to battles that we know that we'll win.

    Yes, I'm reading Fromm on one of @Lark's recommendation. How timely that I discovered this thread.

  4. #4
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont think it was self-loathing that drove Simone Weil, you know she was a socialist and influenced by Catholicism Victor?

    Anyway, I agree with your sentiments about narcissism. People are going to get tired of it but I've got an Erich Fromm recommendation in relation to this topic, his book Man For Himself (from Every Man For Himself), his "therapeutic method", if he can be said to have had one, included becoming aware of and working on your narcissism as one of its prescriptions, I think there's about six or seven, I dont remember them all off hand a lot of them are similar to buddhist or zen ideas. Its listed in another book called The Art of Listening.

    Bertrand Russell's Conquest of Happiness makes some similar prescriptions to those of Fromm but coming from a philosophical direction and rejecting self-absorption.
    Yes, Simone Weil had a direct and personal experience of Christ as well as a Jesuit spiritual advisor, although she never became baptized.

    Most find her to be a very lovable person, but the one person she didn't look after was herself.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, Simone Weil had a direct and personal experience of Christ as well as a Jesuit spiritual advisor, although she never became baptized.

    Most find her to be a very lovable person, but the one person she didn't look after was herself.
    Victor how many of Simone Weil's books have you read and how do you know what you're repeating in the second line of this post?

  6. #6
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Victor how many of Simone Weil's books have you read and how do you know what you're repeating in the second line of this post?
    I haven't read many of her books but fell in love with her right away.

    I do know that many others, including the Pope, find her lovable.

    Also she identified with the sufferings of others to such an extent that she starved herself when they were starving. This led to her very early death - far too early.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I haven't read many of her books but fell in love with her right away.

    I do know that many others, including the Pope, find her lovable.

    Also she identified with the sufferings of others to such an extent that she starved herself when they were starving. This led to her very early death - far too early.
    Yes I'm aware of her fate.

    I'm just a little unsure as to how you, as you say, fell in love with her when you dont appear to be that acquainted with her books.

  8. #8
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm just a little unsure as to how you, as you say, fell in love with her
    It was soul speaking to soul.

    Just as Mole and Ratty quivered at the flute of Pan, so I quivered at the sound of her voice.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It was soul speaking to soul.

    Just as Mole and Ratty quivered at the flute of Pan, so I quivered at the sound of her voice.
    Meow see here, are you saying that you hear voices meow?

  10. #10
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Meow see here, are you saying that you hear voices meow?
    Each post reveals a voice. Lark has his voice on Central, as does Victor.

Similar Threads

  1. Nina Simone
    By Bella in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-02-2016, 02:49 PM
  2. Simon Rex (Dirt Nasty)
    By uncommonentity in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 04:32 PM
  3. Simone De Beauvoir and Jean Paul Satre
    By Rebe in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 12:47 PM
  4. Simon Pegg
    By dynamiteninja in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2008, 04:20 PM
  5. Simon Amstell
    By dynamiteninja in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2008, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO