User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: The Dice System

Default The Dice System

How does the dice system of making all decisions using a pair of dice work? Is it a arithmatical thing? Do higher or lower scores indicate one answer or option or yes or no or what?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Do you mean in general?

For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Your link is broken.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think the OP is extremely vague, hence no responses.

I mean, are you referring to some specific dice system that already exists? Or some general way you could use dice to make decisions? (That's essentially what UniqueMixture asked.)

For a more simplified form of the dice process, witness Two-Face with his coin flips in the "The Dark Knight."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

You might look into the I-Ching if you're interested in this kind of thing. Jung would approve.

I found the i Ching confusing, I looked at the book of answers and magic eight balls for the same reason I did the i Ching.

It was on Big Bang Theory, Sheldo rolled two dice to make all his decisions but when you have two dice which are numbered to six each how do you decide what to do, they just give you numbers.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Sheldon Rolls Dice with the Universe - I missed the most recent episode of Big Bang Theory, but from what I hear, the episode began with the group playing a game of D&D, and continued with Sheldon using his gaming dice to make all of his life decisions. I'm hoping to catch it in reruns.
    Well, he can get his "crit hit" charts out of the AD&D books, but that only refers to skill and attack rolls, unfortunately.

I haven't seen the episode, but I assume he was just winging it. It's pretty easy if you make everything into a binary choice. If he was using AD&D dice and not just the two 6-siders, that means he'd a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20 to play with. (AD&D has actually switched to the open-source d20 system, which means the twenty-sider figures more prominently in order to simplify game play.)

Yes. I'm a geek. There, I said it.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

He used just the two six sided dice, although it starts with the dungeons and dragons game it did make me think of the book The Dice Man as much as D&D, I've got the Dice Man in my tbr pile.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dice_Man

Interesting...

Reminds me of a suspense/crime novel I once read back in the 80's, where people were being killed, and in the end you find out it's a group of people who are actually playing a popular board game of the time, and the crimes represent various moves that occurred during gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dice_Man

Interesting...

Reminds me of a suspense/crime novel I once read back in the 80's, where people were being killed, and in the end you find out it's a group of people who are actually playing a popular board game of the time, and the crimes represent various moves that occurred during gameplay.
    There was a TV show in the UK called murderdome or something like that which was a online game which if played resulted in murders on the streets, at the finish the guy escapes and you see him setting up an "international murderdome" game because he's just gone global, the UK one was a tester! That was a creepy show.