Thread: The Dice System

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

why did my link get deleted?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    How does the dice system of making all decisions using a pair of dice work? Is it a arithmatical thing? Do higher or lower scores indicate one answer or option or yes or no or what?
    It's arbitrary. Don't know what else I can say.

Some times the number is matched against a results table.

In some systems you're going for a target number on a scale. For example if the target number is 5 and you roll 10, that would be probably a critical success or overkill success - e.g. the action is super effective or pulled off super easily. If you get 5 or 6 its just normal, 4 is a near miss, and 1 would be a critical failure - the action fails horribly, some times with extra consequences.

Other D6 systems use something like the above but have a success target for each die rolled and you must get multiple 'successes' (such as rolling 4 for three out of five rolls)

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I looked at actual decision dice but they are not much better.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

We have a large set of those here at work (they belong to the head dev for the disability software).

Yes, we run a high-class establishment.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Xena's boyfriend Bardsandwarriors's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFp Fi

Speaking of game characters being real...

There are various methods of throwing "stones" to make decisions. iirc there is an olde chinese method of putting a black stone and a white stone into a small bag, which to touch are identical. When you need to choose, you mentally allocate the choices to each stone and pull one out.

Nordic runes can be used in a similar way:
    http://www.jelldragon.com/images/ai_bag_of_runes.jpg

The principle by which they "work", if they work, is that subconsciously (intuitively?) you can tell which one you are pulling out, and your subconscious mind makes a choice which consciously you aren't aware of. So if you do it right, you are accessing the answer which you know to be true, without overthinking it.

imo tarot works (if it works) in a similar way.
    Neutral good Fi-ENFp 4w3 sp/so 479 gentle spirit, 50yo male. Travels the land seeking a good sig line.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Bardsandwarriors View Post
    Speaking of game characters being real...

There are various methods of throwing "stones" to make decisions. iirc there is an olde chinese method of putting a black stone and a white stone into a small bag, which to touch are identical. When you need to choose, you mentally allocate the choices to each stone and pull one out.

Nordic runes can be used in a similar way:
    http://www.jelldragon.com/images/ai_bag_of_runes.jpg

The principle by which they "work", if they work, is that subconsciously (intuitively?) you can tell which one you are pulling out, and your subconscious mind makes a choice which consciously you aren't aware of. So if you do it right, you are accessing the answer which you know to be true, without overthinking it.

imo tarot works (if it works) in a similar way.
    I associate that with the i Ching, did you know that PKD is rumoured to have written The Man In The High Castle using the i Ching as a means of directing were the story was going, its a pretty damn good book for it to have been written that way. I personally think its one of his best.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFp Fi

I am a fan of Blade Runner, but haven't read PKD's books at all. Didn't know he had done that, it sounds ingenious.

I am wondering whether introverts would process these tricks differently. As enfp with my wild and largely untamed internal world, I need ways of accessing that world sometimes, and doing mystical stuff helps me slow down and focus internally, or tune into vague memories and senses of things that I'm not quite aware of. Then, it seems magickal. But the sticky posts I've read are telling me I'm not actually magickal - so maybe the I's have it down pat without needing these tricks?
    Neutral good Fi-ENFp 4w3 sp/so 479 gentle spirit, 50yo male. Travels the land seeking a good sig line.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Bardsandwarriors View Post
    I am a fan of Blade Runner, but haven't read PKD's books at all. Didn't know he had done that, it sounds ingenious.

I am wondering whether introverts would process these tricks differently. As enfp with my wild and largely untamed internal world, I need ways of accessing that world sometimes, and doing mystical stuff helps me slow down and focus internally, or tune into vague memories and senses of things that I'm not quite aware of. Then, it seems magickal. But the sticky posts I've read are telling me I'm not actually magickal - so maybe the I's have it down pat without needing these tricks?
    Its a bit mad when you consider the book is an alt history of the japanese and germans winning the war, there is a character within the book who has written an alt history of the japanese and germans losing it and used the i ching to write it! Two or three brilliant sub-plots converge on the characters making contact with the man in the high castle and it all sort of collapses and concludes quickly, I believe the story that PKD actuall did write it that way having read it.

I'm going to keep an eye out for some decision dice I think, yes, no, roll again, sort of options but someone I know has told me already that the division is about scores of two to six meaning one thing and six to twelve meaning the other were there are two clearly defined options.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFp Fi

I tried using decision bones/stones once, and whenever I rolled something that I didn't like, I had to roll them again. So after one or two rolls I knew what I wanted to do, and it was what the dice told me to do about half the time. So they helped, but not in the way I expected. I learned to pin down exactly which sense I should trust within myself. Once I knew that, within a couple of weeks I stopped using them.

Not sure whether I'm stepping on toes by saying this, but you can probably use anything. Throw a bead on the floor, having decided which way up it should land; roll a 6-sided dice, having decided in advance that 1-2 or 1-3 or whatever means you should do something. So long as you are clear about the meaning before you use it, you will have an answer.