User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 47

  1. #31
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    With 202 countries turning a blind eye to child abuse, the first thing to do is to make the teaching of the History of Childhood compulsory in schools.

    The second thing to do is to agitate for a national judicial inquiry with coercive powers into institutional child abuse.

    Are we up to it?
    I don't disagree with your second point.

    I'm curious as to the nature of your first point. How would teaching a history of childhood would encourage people to treat children better?

    I think creating legally-mandated free classes for new parents on nutrition, positive discipline, and early education would help. As well as mandated high school classes on financial planning and birth control.

  2. #32
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,643

    Default

    There is a phantastic short essay by Umberto Eco, "Why people go to demonstrations against child abuse". I wish I could find it online.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  3. #33
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524
    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I'm curious as to the nature of your first point. How would teaching a history of childhood would encourage people to treat children better?
    Teaching the History of Childhood wouldn't encourage people to treat children better, rather it would lift the veil hiding childhood.

    Also the History of Childhood would delineate the various forms of child rearing and the effects on the child.

    Also we could see how child rearing has changed over time.

    We could see the relationship of child rearing to increasing prosperity.

    And we could see the relationship of child rearing to tribal, literate and electronic societies.

    Our immediate problem is that each one of us has been subject to a form of childrearing, and unless we have explored the emotional effects in therapy, it remains unknown us and we romanticise our child rearing so we will feel better.

    But the price of feeling better is that we must drug ourselves with alcohol and nicotine and other drugs to get through the day. But worse, we unconsciously pass onto our children the child rearing we take for granted.

    So our first step is to step outside the taken for granted.

  4. #34
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Teaching the History of Childhood wouldn't encourage people to treat children better, rather it would lift the veil hiding childhood.

    Also the History of Childhood would delineate the various forms of child rearing and the effects on the child.

    Also we could see how child rearing has changed over time.

    We could see the relationship of child rearing to increasing prosperity.

    And we could see the relationship of child rearing to tribal, literate and electronic societies.

    Our immediate problem is that each one of us has been subject to a form of childrearing, and unless we have explored the emotional effects in therapy, it remains unknown us and we romanticise our child rearing so we will feel better.

    But the price of feeling better is that we must drug ourselves with alcohol and nicotine and other drugs to get through the day. But worse, we unconsciously pass onto our children the child rearing we take for granted.

    So our first step is to step outside the taken for granted.
    Ah, interesting. Kind of a psychology course, actually, in addition to history. Lessons on how to step outside one's narrative.

  5. #35
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524
    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Ah, interesting. Kind of a psychology course, actually, in addition to history. Lessons on how to step outside one's narrative.
    Yes, the Ancient Greeks taught us that ecstasy is stepping outside the taken for granted.

  6. #36
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well, 95% of Australian voters approve of the Royal Commission and 3% don't.
    With 95% of Australian voters approving of the Royal Commission into institutional child abuse, the Minister for Defence, Stephen Smith MP, has initiated a Judicial Inquiry into rape in the military.

  7. #37
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    La Lutte Continue

    An abuse survivors group has taken the Church to the International Criminal Court complaining of crimes against humanity.

    And the Church has struck back by appointing a woman to speak for them. She is intelligent, powerful and understands the importance of public relations.

    And as Cardinal Pell was described publicly yesterday as a sociopath, replacing him with an empathic woman Religious is a good move.

    Meanwhile, la lutte continue.

  8. #38
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524
    Professor Ross Fitzgerald is a senior Australian academic who showed his integrity by opposing corruption in the Queensland government.

    Yesterday he pointed out that the nine year Inquiry by the Irish Government into child abuse in the Catholic Church of Ireland had broken the hold the Church had over Ireland and her institutions.

    And Professor Fitzgerald hoped the Australian Royal Commission into institutional child abuse particularly in the Catholic Church in Australia would reduce the status of the Church to that of astrology.

  9. #39
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Let us pray that he is right.

  10. #40
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Let us pray that he is right.
    Yes, at the moment we are arguing over the Terms of Reference of the Royal Commission. And it is becoming plain the Church doesn't want her victims to personally testify before the Commission. But the victims groups feel the opposite and want the victims to be able to tell their stories.

Similar Threads

  1. Indonesia and Islam
    By Mole in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2016, 07:32 PM
  2. Sharia law and Islam
    By Poki in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-23-2016, 09:34 PM
  3. Daily prayers in Judaism, Christianity and Islam
    By Mustafa in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-02-2016, 10:30 PM
  4. Trance, Voodoo, Catholicism and Mbti
    By Mole in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 03:41 AM
  5. MBTI and Islam
    By Riva in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 05:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO