• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Satan a human or supernatural concept for you?

Lark

Does the person of Satan conceptualised as more humanistic or more supernaturalistic in your thinking? In different times in history Satan has been conceived as one or the other and sometimes a blending of both, which impresses you as more correct?

I think you can still answer this if you are a naturalist or non-theist, there is still an archetypical, symbolic legacy or heritage in which Satan features.

W

WALMART

Conceptual thought to help cope with the guilt of touching yourself at night and accidentally thinking of your aunt.

Lark

Yup. About the standard of replies I expected.

Going to stop posting threads.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Satan is a living being of great power who seeks ultimate control over the Earth and to overthrow the lofty position of God almighty as this is a war between the galactic super civilizations of Yahweh and Lucifer as you can see in my signature.

W

WALMART

No you aren't.

I think he originated as a near-omnipotent/present manifestation of evil, then evolved into a more Earthly figure, and has since been eradicated by modern thought.

If you are familiar with the Walkin' Dude, that's my favorite allegory for the Devil.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if Satan, as a physical being with a personality, is a just a symbol used by humans to be able to address the existing supernatural force of evil?

Or are you asking if we think a supernatural evil force exists at all?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Some people believed from early on that Satan is a symbolic facet of human nature. An adversarial component of the consciousness - the little 'voice' inside that convinces you to do things that you otherwise know you shouldn't. Not any kind of independent being.

I hope I've interpreted the question correctly.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I guess I kinda go with the standard Evangelical Christian idea: a powerful fallen angel that can, perhaps, take on physical forms or at least appear to do so.

I don't really think about him too much. People seem to be plenty capable of causing evil all on their own.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the idea is that he is power/lust/unruliness/abnormal (witches etc) and the opposite is like giving, kindness etc. If you go to one or the other then youll get those energies back.

So people who get UFO visits have probably done some in their time.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think he originated as a near-omnipotent/present manifestation of evil, then evolved into a more Earthly figure, and has since been eradicated by modern thought.
^ This.

Although I feel like both God and Satan, at least in Abrahamic thought, began as more "earthly". Example: the book of Job. Not much omnipotence there, from either of them.

The bolded, especially, though. Same as how people don't believe in hell as much anymore.

xisnotx

Permabanned
He's not a person, no.

Although, it'd be interesting, personally, if he were...you know, the whole "god, jesus, the holy spirit" thing, except in terms of evil...so you'd have "satan the supernatural concept, satan the person, satan the spirit"...

Sounds like a movie...steven spielberg, go ahead and write it...

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
^ This.

Although I feel like both God and Satan, at least in Abrahamic thought, began as more "earthly". Example: the book of Job. Not much omnipotence there, from either of them.

The bolded, especially, though. Same as how people don't believe in hell as much anymore.

Yeah, Judaism used to be different and didn't become Christianity until later. Jews picked up the modern interpretation from the religion called Zoroastrianism, while they were in captivity in Babylon after around 580 BC.

Mole

Permabanned
We discover Satan in the 17th century in, "Paradise Lost", by John Milton.

Satan is a beautifully rendered tragic hero.

Rather than blaming an unhappy childhood, Satan takes the bit in his teeth and says, "I would rather rule in Hell than serve in Heaven".

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Humans will always attach another name to their own to what their own repressed thoughts manifest. Anything to take it out of their hands so they aren't liable.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the idea that God punishes eradicates any need for a Devil.
Amen.

I think the idea is that he is power/lust/unruliness/abnormal (witches etc) and the opposite is like giving, kindness etc. If you go to one or the other then youll get those energies back.
So what about a kind witch?

I see Satan as a fictional character in the morality play that is the Bible. I see the Biblical OT God the same way. I seem to remember reading that the original idea of Satan was to serve almost as a legalistic opponent to God in weighing men's souls, in the literal sense of a "devil's advocate". This is one of the more reasonable views of Satan I have run across.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess it depends...and I guess if the witch is moralless then she wouldn't know which way she'd be going either. I agree on the fictional thing, I think you have to kinda experience god, as they say.

...which you know..

..is...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, if you want to talk about "Satan" specifically, there have been books written on his evolution throughout the Bible to become the kind of figure he is known as today. The fact he "evolved" throughout the literature suggests he is a concept and not a fact.

I tend to see "evil" as a way of behaving rather than as a "person" or "thing," though. There might be specific individuals who are the epitome of evil, but it doesn't mean that Evil exists as an entity.

You also need to apply human morality to reach our definition of evil. Animals without capacity for moral choice are not evil, for example. If a bear eats you, it's not because the bear wanted to murder and expunge you, it is because the bear was hungry or you are encroaching on its territory, and it is reacting out of survival instincts. Interestingly, we expect people to behave differently, even if they think they are operating out of survival; love is the capacity to treat another as if they were yourself, rather than viewing them as "Other" and thus an enemy or parasite. In general, evil seems to be like a black hole, force that has imploded upon itself so that its world is only as big as itself and no other entities are caught inside the event horizon to be viewed as kin. Everything is a threat or food; everything is an enemy or prey; there is only the self, and the self cut off from community soon becomes lost on its own private wasteland.

Hence, evil is imploding, isolationist, aggressive, and destructive.

What's this? What's this? Can it be? Did Christmas come early this year?? Oh gee!

nightmare-before-christmas-jack.jpg