User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

If you're going to be purposefully antagonistic, why should i bother to engage? It gets old.

Besides the blatant misrepresentation of my position (I wasn't arguing that animals were "beneath" us) and the resulting needless slander of my character, I honestly doubt you were trying to argue for the execution and/or incarceration of animals when they perform acts that people would consider "evil" but that's exactly one of the direct outcomes of your logic here. No one is faulting your love for animals, and this thread isn't even necessarily about animals except to explore why humans need to label things as evil.

There's a difference between instinctive behavior and purposefully attacking another out of malice. Your post is one of the latter; a lion or shark stalking and killing prey is the former.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

a dualistic concept to balance out a belief in an ultimate good... the concept of something that can act as the stick opposing the carrot of the boundless love of it's opposite... something to cause fear if you do something against the social mores and that could harm your society- much like religion's historical function of being a very effective way to get people to follow the laws and customs

so neither human or supernatural, merely conceptual

of course without humans would you even have "good" or "evil"? nobody considers a lion evil for eating somebody... that's just what lions do... evil can only be human, generally speaking... would that mean that the devil could only be human and by that token god?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    a dualistic concept to balance out a belief in an ultimate good... the concept of something that can act as the stick opposing the carrot of the boundless love of it's opposite... something to cause fear if you do something against the social mores and that could harm your society- much like religion's historical function of being a very effective way to get people to follow the laws and customs

so neither human or supernatural, merely conceptual

of course without humans would you even have "good" or "evil"? nobody considers a lion evil for eating somebody... that's just what lions do... evil can only be human, generally speaking... would that mean that the devil could only be human and by that token god?
    Even if one considered the lion to be evil, the lion wouldn't care. That's what separates us. Morality requires conscience and realization. A reason or motivation to do or not do things aside from the merit of the actions themselves.

As you said, that's just what lions do. Animals act according to their nature.

They can be bonding and compassionate, but they don't do that just because it's "good". They do it from their natural motivation.
    They can also rip your face off, but they don't do that because they are "evil", they do that from their natural motivation as well.

There's nothing in nature that doesn't work properly.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Does the person of Satan conceptualised as more humanistic or more supernaturalistic in your thinking? In different times in history Satan has been conceived as one or the other and sometimes a blending of both, which impresses you as more correct?

I think you can still answer this if you are a naturalist or non-theist, there is still an archetypical, symbolic legacy or heritage in which Satan features.
    I think that you can take this a few different ways. From a classic, Christianity point of view he is more supernatural, even if he resides in a human body. He is more a conscious entity.

Then there is the idea that he is "evil". Not necessarily conscious, just whatever people consider evil.

Then there is he doesn't exist, and there are just varying shades of grey when you think of evil. I'd hazard that a lot of people who believe in Satan believe the last two more (at least, that is what I have encountered with people).
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex