User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I guess I kinda go with the standard Evangelical Christian idea: a powerful fallen angel that can, perhaps, take on physical forms or at least appear to do so.

I don't really think about him too much. People seem to be plenty capable of causing evil all on their own.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

ReflecTcelfeR

I think the idea that God punishes eradicates any need for a Devil.

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

I think the idea is that he is power/lust/unruliness/abnormal (witches etc) and the opposite is like giving, kindness etc. If you go to one or the other then youll get those energies back.

So people who get UFO visits have probably done some in their time.
    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I think he originated as a near-omnipotent/present manifestation of evil, then evolved into a more Earthly figure, and has since been eradicated by modern thought.
    ^ This.

Although I feel like both God and Satan, at least in Abrahamic thought, began as more "earthly". Example: the book of Job. Not much omnipotence there, from either of them.

The bolded, especially, though. Same as how people don't believe in hell as much anymore.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Permabanned

He's not a person, no.

Although, it'd be interesting, personally, if he were...you know, the whole "god, jesus, the holy spirit" thing, except in terms of evil...so you'd have "satan the supernatural concept, satan the person, satan the spirit"...

Sounds like a movie...steven spielberg, go ahead and write it...

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    ^ This.

Although I feel like both God and Satan, at least in Abrahamic thought, began as more "earthly". Example: the book of Job. Not much omnipotence there, from either of them.

The bolded, especially, though. Same as how people don't believe in hell as much anymore.
    Yeah, Judaism used to be different and didn't become Christianity until later. Jews picked up the modern interpretation from the religion called Zoroastrianism, while they were in captivity in Babylon after around 580 BC.

We discover Satan in the 17th century in, "Paradise Lost", by John Milton.

Satan is a beautifully rendered tragic hero.

Rather than blaming an unhappy childhood, Satan takes the bit in his teeth and says, "I would rather rule in Hell than serve in Heaven".

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Humans will always attach another name to their own to what their own repressed thoughts manifest. Anything to take it out of their hands so they aren't liable.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by momental View Post
    I think the idea that God punishes eradicates any need for a Devil.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by minutegovt View Post
    I think the idea is that he is power/lust/unruliness/abnormal (witches etc) and the opposite is like giving, kindness etc. If you go to one or the other then youll get those energies back.
    So what about a kind witch?

I see Satan as a fictional character in the morality play that is the Bible. I see the Biblical OT God the same way. I seem to remember reading that the original idea of Satan was to serve almost as a legalistic opponent to God in weighing men's souls, in the literal sense of a "devil's advocate". This is one of the more reasonable views of Satan I have run across.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

I guess it depends...and I guess if the witch is moralless then she wouldn't know which way she'd be going either. I agree on the fictional thing, I think you have to kinda experience god, as they say.

...which you know..

..is...

Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~