User Tag List

123 Last

WALMART

Default The Nexus of Space and Time

I have noticed a running theme with certain philosophical thoughts existential in scope, that there is a 'nexus' of being from which all reality flows.

The Dark Tower series deals with this, as does a recent story-arc of Adventure Time. @RaptorWizard has seemed to express some thoughts in a similar vein, as well as @Zang. I personally have conceptualized the universe as a particle from which all matter is a projection (just a passing, self-entertaining thought).

Are you familiar with any other stories or reference works that flesh out similar philosophical thought? I would be inclined to investigate.

Personal experience particularly welcome

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Here is an interesting poem I found by a Youtube user named HaleyMary in a video:

Gnostic symbolism.
    Deep mysticism.

The Father, the Mother, the Son.
    Three spirits instead of one.

Wise spirit, adrogynous.
    Combination of femininity and masculinity. Mysteriousness.

In a clear mirror secrets become undone.
    The see-er and the seen as not two but one.

Like little people, living in a field that isn't there.
    They can build a steeple, but they can't climb those cosmic stairs.

The above as below.
    Reap what you sow.

The below as above.
    As peaceful as a dove.

Lack knowledge of self.
    And lack everything in cosmic wealth.

Throughout nature's course.
    All forms and matter returning to the original cosmic source.

source - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MivcAQvdmYo (get it, the "source")!?

WALMART

"The see-er and the seen as not two but one"

Source, lolz.

WALMART

The film Cloud Atlas deals with this concept. I am not alone in my pontification.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Are you familiar with any other stories or reference works that flesh out similar philosophical thought? I would be inclined to investigate.
    You should check out Waking Life. Deals with a lot of themes in this vein.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    You should check out Waking Life. Deals with a lot of themes in this vein.

Exciting

Two other films would be The Fountain, and The Matrix. Hmmmmmmmmm. I want moar.
    Last edited by WALMART; 10-29-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Ginkgo

Walking from one end of the room to the other is a task of travelling a finite space in a finite framework of time. However, an infinite number of tasks exist in between: walking half the way, walking a quarter of the way, walking an eighth of the way, and so on. How is it that we complete an infinite number of tasks under finite conditions? The boundaries of our subjectivity are exposed by our impression of something as seemingly objective as a task. The number of integers we denote to measurements of space and time seem entirely imaginary and unity is apparent in a single integer. This draws the boundaries of the universe into question, and it starts to seem almost "flat", as though our original impressions of space and time demonstrated by our interpretation of the Earth being flat are true.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Walking from one end of the room to the other is a task of travelling a finite space in a finite framework of time. However, an infinite number of tasks exist in between: walking half the way, walking a quarter of the way, walking an eighth of the way, and so on. How is it that we complete an infinite number of tasks under finite conditions? The boundaries of our subjectivity are exposed by our impression of something as seemingly objective as a task. The number of integers we denote to measurements of space and time seem entirely imaginary and unity is apparent in a single integer. This draws the boundaries of the universe into question, and it starts to seem almost "flat", as though our original impressions of space and time demonstrated by our interpretation of the Earth being flat are true.

Well it's easy, Gink. You plot for twice the distance you intend to go and stop half-way.

But seriously, that problem only occurs if you believe the universe to be analog, as Einstein preferred. As soon as you begin to conceptualize it digital, the problem poofs out of existence.

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

Discrete math is an obstruction to extrapolation imo. You should probably write more about this if you've got ideas. That book series must be good, lol.
    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by minutegovt View Post
    Discrete math is an obstruction to extrapolation imo. You should probably write more about this if you've got ideas. That book series must be good, lol.

I cannot pretend to one hundred percent understand what you are getting at. Can you elaborate?

I will write more, someday. I just don't know where to start. What a quantum conundrum.