User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There's been a lot of attempts at secular morality, I dont believe that morality or moral philosophy requires secularisation to be honest. I see that as part of an agenda to drive religion out of the world and eliminate it, much in the way that religion once did to atheistic or secular beliefs. Which is a shame...
    This is not my impression of what the Dalai Lama is attempting because he certainly does not wish to do away with Buddhism. Secular morality based on scientific investigation of how the human mind processes negative emotion and violence can form a baseline to bring people together, on top of which people can add their own ideas about marriage, family, sexuality, dress, speech, diet, etc. The practicalities of living are not addressed so much as an understanding of healthy psychology and human interaction to minimize violence. I think it could help contrasting religious systems live in better harmony with one another, and my impression is that is more along the lines of how the Dalai Lama is thinking.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    This is not my impression of what the Dalai Lama is attempting because he certainly does not wish to do away with Buddhism. Secular morality based on scientific investigation of how the human mind processes negative emotion and violence can form a baseline to bring people together, on top of which people can add their own ideas about marriage, family, sexuality, dress, speech, diet, etc. The practicalities of living are not addressed so much as an understanding of healthy psychology and human interaction to minimize violence. I think it could help contrasting religious systems live in better harmony with one another, and my impression is that is more along the lines of how the Dalai Lama is thinking.
    That sounds less like morality and more like the evidence base of most social work or social care practice to be honest, I've been trained in stuff like this and I do wish it was more widespread.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    This is why I stress meditation for the purpose of internal clarity, and less for some kind of spiritual euphoria high.

And by internal clarity I mean psychological transparency. One being able to see their self precisely and how they fit into the world and also the dynamic system of the world and how these relate to each other without muddying it up with delusions and biases.

That's a transcendence in itself. Not transcendence as in reaching some highly overrated spiritual plane that rises above everything else, but transcendence as in rising above the fog and being clear about yourself with no illusions, misgivings, false representations or denials.

I call it the no-bullshit approach.

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Would it eliminate all violence in the world?
    Probably not, but we'd see a lot less tantrum's in the supermarket. But then that's probably what he was getting at anyway, most of us never learn to master our emotions. Especially in the first world countries you see a lot of adults pretty much behaving like 5yr olds when things don't go their way. People aren't taught to do anything in our society except have knee jerk reactions to things they don't like then piss and moan about it until someone comes and fixes it just like mommy used to. On the other hand if we were all taught to find that centre of calm instead of screaming like a toddler then I'm sure a lot of arguments would never escalate to the point of violence.

WALMART

*meditates nightly on efficient killing methods*