Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Default 2060 The End of the World

So then the time times & half a time are 42 months or 1260 days or three years & an half, recconing twelve months to a yeare & 30 days to a month as was done in the Calendar of the primitive year. And the days of short lived Beasts being put for the years of lived [sic for “long lived”] kingdoms, the period of 1260 days, if dated from the complete conquest of the three kings A.C. 800, will end A.C. 2060. It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner. This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fancifull men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, & by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail. Christ comes as a thief in the night, & it is not for us to know the times & seasons wch God hath put into his own breast.
    A new heaven & new earth. New Jerusalem comes down from heaven prepared as a Bride adorned for her husband. The marriage supper. God dwells with men wipes away all tears from their eyes, gives them of ye fountain of living water & creates all thin things new saying, It is done. The glory & felicity of the New Jerusalem is represented by a building of Gold & Gemms enlightened by the glory of God & ye Lamb & watered by ye river of Paradise on ye banks of wch grows the tree of life. Into this city the kings of the earth do bring their glory & that of the nations & the saints reign for ever & ever.
    source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_N...occult_studies

your resident asshole

The title is a bit misleading considering Newton believed the world would not end any time earlier than 2060. He didn't predict that the world would necessarily end in 2060.

Any attempt at predicting the end of the world is foolish anyway.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Hey I might still be alive then!

Could be interesting to see.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

They said it would end in 2000, then 2012 (so far, so good) and now 2060, that's excluding all the different dates given by heavens gate, jim jones style outfits. So I'm sceptical.

I'm more interested in why people are interested in or focused upon endings, I think the world has caught pessimism like a virus and can not shake it off. I have always liked the fact that some of the prayers I know feature the line "world without end, amen" because it is what I believe. None of the apocalyptic passages as I know them in Christianity are about an end.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

God is going to evolve when the AI from the singularity goes back in time and has buttsex with a dinosaur creating raptorjesus
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm more interested in why people are interested in or focused upon endings, I think the world has caught pessimism like a virus and can not shake it off.
    This would make for an interesting topic of discussion.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    This would make for an interesting topic of discussion.
    I posted about it, in a thread entitled "what the world needs now", it was influenced by two books I've read, one is The Revolution of Hope by Erich Fromm, the other is Hope For Man by Joshua Loth Liebman, they're both instant favourites of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Any attempt at predicting the end of the world is foolish anyway.
    Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The Sun used to be fainter in the past, which is possibly the reason life on Earth has only existed for about 1 billion years on land. The increase in solar temperatures is such that in about another billion years the surface of the Earth will likely become too hot for liquid water to exist, ending all terrestrial life.

Ginkgo

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I posted about it, in a thread entitled "what the world needs now", it was influenced by two books I've read, one is The Revolution of Hope by Erich Fromm, the other is Hope For Man by Joshua Loth Liebman, they're both instant favourites of mine.
    Ahh...I've located it now. I just subscribed to the thread, although I'm more of a lurker than a poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Not really.
    Why so?

I suppose I see what you mean if we are talking from a purely scientific standpoint. For example, predicting the end of the world because a massive comet is going to collide with the Earth.

Is this what you had in mind?