• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Caution: Satanist

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Im mostly just curious as to how many other LaVey Satanists there are on these forms. And how long you have been following the philosophy.

And for those of you who have not looked into it at all, please hold off the witch hunt until after lunch. Im not talking about demon worship or summoning satan or curses.

LaVey Satanism is a philosophy based on the celebration of humans as animals and our animalistic instincts, and a rejection of any social structure that denies or limits our instincts and rights to them.

Once again I would just like to hear from others as myself, for ive met very few.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think you'll find that nobody's interested in witch-hunting you here. I'm a Christian (although certain fundamentalists would argue that fact) and I'm not fazed by your satanism in the least.

Your Pinhead avatar, now, that creeps me out a bit.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Despite the fact I don't object to much of the philosophy, and I score pretty high for Satanism on the "What Religion Are You?" tests - I cannot get past the name.

The fact that LaVey named it Satanism will forever seem childish. It might impress me when I was 13, not so much anymore.

meshou

MBTI Type
INXP
LeVeyan Satanism makes a good bit of sense, and while I am not an official observer, I can't say there's any tenet I do not follow in it.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
In a nutshell Satanism insists on the spiritual promotion of the self. This is diametrically opposed to Buddhism and Christianity who insist on self-abnegation, the surrender of the self to a higher power. They argue that all evil (conventional Buddhist theologies directly, and many Christian theologies implicitly) stems from selfishness, yet they could demonize the Satanists along that path saying that because they are all about making you selfish, they are servants of Satan in the strictest sense of the word. Follow their philosophy: get as evil as you could possibly be. Isnt this what you could expect for Satanism to do to you? LaVey's ethics failed to wash off the fiendish stigma of Satanism in that respect.-

meshou

MBTI Type
INXP
Follow their philosophy: get as evil as you could possibly be. Isnt this what you could expect for Satanism to do to you? LaVey's ethics failed to wash off the fiendish stigma of Satanism in that respect.-
Wouldn't say that.

I believe a sufficiently bright, but unrepentantly self serving person is very difficult to tell apart from a "selfless" person. I don't have every skill in the world, and you may have what I need, I will be good to you. It doesn't bring me any pleasure to make the world more disgusting-looking, I do not litter.

I certainly do not cheat or steal. I am not bright enough to get away with it, and I respect your property.

It's not particularly warm and fuzzy, but I wouldn't call it "evil," except maybe in the sense that not doing what's expected of you is "evil."

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It sounds interesting. Humans have instincts to be warm and fuzzy and friendly too. I've been feeling a little restricted lately.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
The fact that LaVey named it Satanism will forever seem childish. It might impress me when I was 13, not so much anymore.[/QUOTE]

Well im not sure if you ever realised but the name and the fact that Satan was used as a figure head was meant to be a mockery of Judeo Christian philosophy in itself.

It was literally meant to piss of Christians because he knew, like lambs to slaughter they would follow the bait.

meshou

MBTI Type
INXP
Well im not sure if you ever realised but the name and the fact that Satan was used as a figure head was meant to be a mockery of Judeo Christian philosophy in itself.

It was literally meant to piss of Christians because he knew, like lambs to slaughter they would follow the bait.
Well chyeah. It's kinda "I know you are but what am I!"-ish. There's nothing impressive about shocking little old ladies who go to church twice a week.

The quality of the people you take on speaks volumes about who you are. Shocking conservative Christians? Laaaaame.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

I did know that, actually, and it does seem a little childish. Who cares? Live your life however you like, as long as it doesn't encroach on anybody else's living of their life. Why have your guiding philosophy be a reaction to something you find repugnant?

Like MacGuffin, I really have no issues with the philosophy itself, but it does sometimes seem like a "you got a problem with that?" thing.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well chyeah. It's kinda "I know you are but what am I!"-ish. There's nothing impressive about shocking little old ladies who go to church twice a week.

Yeah that. It is hard to respect something that wants to be a philosophical-spit-in-the-eye to something else rather than its own system.

Lame.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I will agree it does seem childish, but I suppose I feel different towards it after reading interviews and biographies on LaVey. He had his reasons to hate a despise christianity and its followers as a whole. But that is also why this philosophy has such a low following cause so many people get mixed up on the whole name thing. Not enough people know the whys or hows of the philosophy, they just know that some bald guy hated christians.

But then again feelings such as hate, revenge, and contempt are celebrated as some of the highest forms of individualism in the philosophy. Another thing that many people feel is childish or prudent but if your going to worship/follow instincts over morality or ethics then you have to be prepared to take the bad and ugly allong with the good.

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
The fact that LaVey named it Satanism will forever seem childish. It might impress me when I was 13, not so much anymore.

(Piling on) If Judeo-Christianity was truly irrelevant to you, you'd ignore it rather than mock it.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with LaVey's Satanic Rules and what he considers to be sins, except I find him a bit too ruthless for my tastes and I think self-control is a virtue.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But then again feelings such as hate, revenge, and contempt are celebrated as some of the highest forms of individualism in the philosophy. Another thing that many people feel is childish or prudent but if your going to worship/follow instincts over morality or ethics then you have to be prepared to take the bad and ugly allong with the good.
I'm not familiar with LeVey, but have some questions. How are instincts related to individualism? Creatures that are driven by instincts have more predictable behaviors. It's one reason I enjoy working with animals because their behaviors are predictable if you take the time to understand them fully enough. Couldn't the argument be made that instinctual behavior is the least individualistic? That is unless it goes against a norm, but it requires that norm in order be unique.

Also, the creation of religious structures is a natural process in human socialization isn't it? If not, then where does it come from? If humans are animals, what is the process by which you choose which behaviors are instincts and which are not? Most animals form social structures that moderate behavior, right?

I have deep respect for natural processes, including how these relate to being human. It is important imo to take a wholistic view. Instincts are part of my make-up and therefore a consideration. Reasoning and moderating personal behavior for long-term benefits is also part of my make-up and functions in my frontal lobe. This too is part of my natural self.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yes. I did see part of a documentary on LeVay once. He was very much a showman, seeking to create a stir and a reaction from society, which was steeped in Christian tradition. He wanted press. He wanted attention. He enjoyed it. He specifically invited press to his gatherings to get the attention he wanted.

Hence, the "Satan" in Satanism. He did have his personal philosophy, but all the symbolism was more meant to get a reaction.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1

I'm waiting too feel it . . .

Sorry, I'm not getting anything yet. You might want to try me again when I'm PMS-ing. :wink:

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm not familiar with LeVey, but have some questions. How are instincts related to individualism? Creatures that are driven by instincts have more predictable behaviors. It's one reason I enjoy working with animals because their behaviors are predictable if you take the time to understand them fully enough. Couldn't the argument be made that instinctual behavior is the least individualistic? That is unless it goes against a norm, but it requires that norm in order be unique.

Also, the creation of religious structures is a natural process in human socialization isn't it? If not, then where does it come from? If humans are animals, what is the process by which you choose which behaviors are instincts and which are not? Most animals form social structures that moderate behavior, right?

I have deep respect for natural processes, including how these relate to being human. It is important imo to take a wholistic view. Instincts are part of my make-up and therefore a consideration. Reasoning and moderating personal behavior for long-term benefits is also part of my make-up and functions in my frontal lobe. This too is part of my natural self.

I'd argue that to be an individualist is to be in control over your situation, that is the only way you can be true to yourself. And control not other people, but yourself. Exert control over your own passions and desires...instincts..etc in favor of dispassioned thought.

Satanism insists on 'letting the wolf out'...doing what your whim shall commands, thats basically tantamount to being a slave to your inner passions.

True freedom isnt only about being free from external sanctions, you also have to attain freedom from your inner self which is far more tyrannyous and imposing than any external entity could be.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd argue that to be an individualist is to be in control over your situation, that is the only way you can be true to yourself. And control not other people, but yourself. Exert control over your own passions and desires...instincts..etc in favor of dispassioned thought...
I agree with a number of your points.

One additional thought: A key difference in other animals vs. the human animal is the way in which the individual relates to time. Many carnivores can project their thinking into the immediate future, because that is necessary in order to devise hunting strategy. Most creatures project at least slightly into the future because it is necessary for movement, hunting, escaping, etc. The less ability the animal can project into time, the more necessary instincts are to ensure long-term survival. For example, squirrels bury acorns out of instinct since they cannot analyze that in certain months there will not be food available. The same is true of the migration of birds. Humans can project a way into the future and that is why we have the ability to temper our immediate desires in the context of longer term benefits.

An INTJ friend of mine was developing a theory that moral thinking can be to a great degree analyzed in terms of short-term vs. long-term thinking. Can't say if I know it to be true, but it is interesting in concept, and there are many examples to suggest a relationship.

Crabapple

MBTI Type
INFJ
I will agree it does seem childish [....]But then again feelings such as hate, revenge, and contempt are celebrated as some of the highest forms of individualism in the philosophy. Another thing that many people feel is childish or prudent but if your going to worship/follow instincts over morality or ethics then you have to be prepared to take the bad and ugly allong with the good.

I would say that it seems childish in that "feelings such as hate, revenge, and contempt are celebrated...."

I also have not read LaVey, but I would agree with BW that
BlueWing said:
I'd argue that to be an individualist is to be in control over your situation, that is the only way you can be true to yourself. And control not other people, but yourself. Exert control over your own passions and desires...instincts..etc in favor of dispassioned thought.

I don't believe in dispassioned thought so much as thought well seasoned with emotion. From my POV, both are necessary. Giving in to one's instincts (I believe) is a way to self destruction. When you're an adult, who tells you no to polishing off that second pint of Hagen-Daz? You do. Who tells you not to stalk and harrass the ex-girlfriend you now hate? You do. Who tells you not to use or sell crack or meth? You do. And if you don't, you're the one that will be most sorry.

And I don't practice one of what I call the Religions of Renunciation . I don't come to this from a Christian perspective. Although I have no problem with most Christian, and admire some, I am a pagan.

Also, I would argue that All Satanism is a reaction, a defiace of Christianity. It is an offshoot from the Christian tree.