User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    uh, self worship?
    Well, given that herenow probably thinks his self exists, he'd probably find it less illogical.
    Let's do this thing.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by meshou View Post
    There's not much worship in LeVey Satanism. It's bascially Nietzsche, individualism, and some superficial Jung thrown in for obnoxious-points.

I do see a clear parallel between LaVey's Satanism and Nietzsche Ethical Egoism. (Will worship).

Though could you point out where LaVey was influenced by Jung?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Though could you point out where LaVey was influenced by Jung?
    Using Satan as an archetype for personal growth seems pretty Jungian to me, although again, that was mostly for show.

#1 reccomended reading by the Church of Satan, (I assume behind LeVey's works):

Man and his Symbols, by Jung.
    Let's do this thing.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Using Satan as an archetype for personal growth seems pretty Jungian to me, although again, that was mostly for show.

#1 reccomended reading by the Church of Satan, (I assume behind LeVey's works):

Man and his Symbols, by Jung.
    Cant we say the same for many Christian theologies that long pre-dated Jung, using Jesus as an archetype for personal growth?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

MBTI
    INXP

Cant we say the same for many Christian theologies that long pre-dated Jung, using Jesus as an archetype for personal growth?
    I'd say the agknowledgement that Satan is a personal archetype and not a historical figure is a pretty fundamental difference. Most LeVey Satanists would laugh at insistance on a real Satan or a real Christ as ignorant fairy tale stuff.

Edit: Further, I'd imagine many Satanists reject the Messiah archetype as harmful. They'd view it as the embodyment of the human need to be rescued from the concequences of their actions, and further, as the need to be rescued from their own impulses. Lack of personal mastery of your own impulses, to the point one needs rescue from them, is pretty much the CoS version of "evil."

Don't shoot the messenger here. Playing Devil's advocate. Heh.
    Let's do this thing.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

I'd say the agknowledgement that Satan is a personal archiatype and not a historical figure is a pretty fundamental difference. Most LeVey Satanists would laugh at insistance on a real Satan or a real Christ as ignorant fairy tale stuff.
    Seems like you were right on the mark there. Though I do believe, that even for Christianity, a literal Christ is also unacceptable, and His role as the Lord and Savior must be interpreted allegorically.

MBTI
    INXP

Nn, you might be right for some very liberal Christians, but not for the vast majority.
    Let's do this thing.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Seems like you were right on the mark there. Though I do believe, that even for Christianity, a literal Christ is also unacceptable, and His role as the Lord and Savior must be interpreted allegorically.
    Hmmm? I think I shall agree with Meshou on this one. Even those who doubt the "literalness" of some of the books like Genesis usually don't think Jesus was just allegory.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    You must have a very narrow definition of worship. Although I kind of doubt you had any definition at all when writing that post, since your logic assessment is so half-assed and just plain WRONG given religious premises.

Booyalab: Being pretentious is a skill you use well if for no other reason than to appear intellectual. Considering your own posts and logic, the two are so far apart as to be practically non-existent.

Define for me, in your own words, how worship of a non entity is logical. Take your time. You'll need it.
    INTP 5W6

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by hereandnow View Post
    Define for me, in your own words, how worship of a non entity is logical.
    heh!

I... suppose. Yeah!