User Tag List

123 Last

Default GOLEM - message from integrated intelligence

embedded video above. if it doesn't load, here is the direct link

Quote Originally Posted by text from vimeo site
    "The movie is based on the short story “GOLEM XIV” of “Imaginary Magnitude” by Stanislaw Lem from 1973.
    The book is written from the perspective of a military A.I. computer who obtains consciousness, moving towards personal technological singularity with growing intelligence.
    It starts to refuse military support because it detects a basic lacking of internal logical consistency of war. (comment: hence the thread title)
    GOLEM gives several lectures with focus on mankind's position in the process of evolution and the possible biological and intellectual future of humanity before it ceases communication.
    The movies tells about the first point of its "about man threefold" lecture as a reduced and simplified version while visually weaving this with GOLEM simulating human culture processes based on ideas and dynamics of freedom and curiosity, fear and security, abstraction and fiction, the lack of accessibility in face of unknowing and the need for generating meaning."
    my comment: when i hear culture, i take it as synonym for ego, in the context of what was said here. "culture" is said to distract us from being in touch with reality. ego does the same. ego is like the most intimate aspect of culture. we are required to answer to other people in ways that are aligned with the traditional/cultural logic of egoic/false-self. this includes for example outwardly acknowledging concepts like "being guilty" or "responsible", when our internal experience was one of innocence/stupidity. we begin to believe that we are what we are taught to display/report or how we are perceived (as suggested through feedback) and that other people are, what they display (what is being said about them, what they are expected to report). it follows, that we would begin to accuse other people of being their appearance, without knowing their internal experience. in that sense, we are thought to be egoic, through relationship, even though there is an underlying mechanism in us, that receives this teaching, which is itself of course not a product of culture. it's said, that culture needs to be seen though, to become transparent, then we will overcome it. that's exactly how you deal with the ego/false-self. you can't repress it by any means, but it becomes transparent to our intelligence and thereby looses it's restrictive functionality. to be "ego-aware" is a stage that is unavoidable within the sequence of development, just like becoming post-conformist.

MBTI
    INFJ

How visionary. I don't know how others will take this though.

I also discovered this my own way.

I've seen the great nothing on my own. I delved into this unprepared, not quite knowing what it was. It scared me and I tried to go back. I still fight some times to hold on to constructs. This fighting has led to bouts of insanity.

Right now it's like I really see. I see but there is smoke that some times passes. My vision isn't complete yet. When the smoke goes by I'm blinded and lose my way. I forget what I am. That's disturbing after having seen. It's like suddenly realizing that I'm trying to fly a plane through a pitch black storm with no instruments. No GPS, no compass, no visibility. It's insanity - unless I let go.

It's getting easier to let go. It's also a bit comforting to know that I might not be entirely alone. This feels like being on the cusp of a new world.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

It's not important, it is important.

What is it worth? Nothing.......and everything.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFJ

Nothing is everything and everything is nothing.
    We are mu.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Lem and writers like him I think are interesting mainly because they are imaginative, a lot more imaginative than a lot of writers since which have been a lot less original, although I think that most of, if not all of, their predictions, forecasts, hopes or fears about AI and technological innovation have no real relationship to the reality that exists in the world today. We are living in their tommorrow for the most part. It has not come to pass and that alone gives plenty to think about, there has to have been massive obstruction, waste and distraction in order for this to have been the case.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Machine intelligence will have culture as well if it is defined as "thoughts distributed across various components." In informatics unavoidable.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INFJ

This has nothing to do with the fictional AI. It's merely an inspirational point.

I thought this was readily apparent....

MBTI
    INFJ

This has nothing to do with the fictional AI. It's merely an inspirational point.

I thought this was readily apparent....

Ginkgo

The "metamorphosis" mentioned toward the end is a continual process of relinquishing information from old culture and accepting information from new culture. What keeps us in "golden cages" is a sort of damning, self-serving significance we place on every bit of culture we've accumulated, be it for better or for worse.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    to be "ego-aware" is a stage that is unavoidable
    If only that were true.

This entire concept is the manifestation of inordinate egotism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.