• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

True Self vs Shown Self

A

Anew Leaf

I was listening to a podcast this week discussing the concept of our true self versus the self we are showing currently.

The examples given were that we can see a seed and to us it is just a seed. We don't see the plant or the tree or the flower that is hidden inside of it. Or we see a caterpillar and don't realize that a butterfly is inside of it. Or we simply see each other and don't realize that someone else is inside of us.

Do you think this is true about your own self? If so, do you know what it is inside of you that no one sees? If not, do you think you are showing your true self quite often?

Permabanned
28088934.jpg

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I sort of think everyone keeps their child self within them.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Isn't this basically the idea of the persona? That we all wear a mask and hide our true selves?

I don't know, honestly. I wear so many masks and my mood fluctuates so frequently that I'm not really sure what my "true self" is anymore...

metalmommy

so ready
I definitely keep a large part of my true self hidden. I keep the most vulnerable part inside. It's a self preservation thing. I'm my experience, most people can't be trusted...so, I don't.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't like the idea of masks personally... I don't feel that I wear them. It's more like armor than a mask. I'm super sensitive actually so it's just to protect the squishy bits.

Or like I said earlier... It's just the child and the outer self is the parent.

Maybe... Idk lady! What do you think?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Imo your "true self" is only allowed to emerge if it is nurtured. Unfortunately the various stressors of life tend to obfuscate hidden gems as we try to protect our core.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
True self is often confused with inner self.

True self is like an orange. It has an outside and an inside, but together it is the whole orange.

Or a less tasty and more accurate example would be an onion. It has many layers. The whole thing is the onion, right down to the middle. All the layers are onion, there is no 'true onion' but the onion itself. Some parts of it are just deeper inside.

Your outer self is still part of yourself because yourself has it - it's not somebody else's outer self, it is yours.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ that's how it feels to me too yep.

Mole

Permabanned
My true self is hightly excitable. And this is often seen as socially inappropriate so my true self has been well and truly suppressed.

But being an intelligent and good little boy I learnt this lesson myself and learnt to suppress my true self.

This is painful to discover and a difficult trap to get out of.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to show a quiet, pleasant side where I smile more than speak, and try to stay positive in what I say to people. My more private aspects have to do with parts of me that fall outside the norm, the negative feelings, the humor and childlike aspects, the parts that would surprise people. I show more of that online than in person.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

True self is like an orange. It has an outside and an inside, but together it is the whole orange.

Or a less tasty and more accurate example would be an onion. It has many layers. The whole thing is the onion, right down to the middle. All the layers are onion, there is no 'true onion' but the onion itself. Some parts of it are just deeper inside.

Your outer self is still part of yourself because yourself has it - it's not somebody else's outer self, it is yours.

Good post. Thanks for clearing away the confusion on that point... it's who you are, in total, it's not necessarily either the inner or outer (especially on an MBTI site with extraverts and introverts).

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can a person really know their own true self? Something tells me there's just something about us that we can't see by necessity, like trying to catch seeing ourselves blink in the mirror. There also has to be something we just can't show, but I bet we indicate it, even if we don't know what it is.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can a person really know their own true self? Something tells me there's just something about us that we can't see by necessity, like trying to catch seeing ourselves blink in the mirror. There also has to be something we just can't show, but I bet we indicate it, even if we don't know what it is.

Well, technically, since our own vision is subjected and clouded, there are parts of ourselves we can't really see (kind of like if we're sitting inside an airplane, we can't see all of the airplane in ways that people standing a distance away can see it). So to have our best chance, we're always triangulating data. But I don't think we ever totally "know ourselves," even if we can get a good general idea of who we are and also experience misery when we are consistently being forced to behave in ways that run counter to our own inclinations.

At times, also, I thought I knew myself, but then I would do or say something that exposed a new part of me not just to others but to myself as well -- those moments were discoveries for me as well.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The examples given were that we can see a seed and to us it is just a seed. We don't see the plant or the tree or the flower that is hidden inside of it. Or we see a caterpillar and don't realize that a butterfly is inside of it.

This sounds like Ni. Was the guy from the podcast a Ni dom?

A

Anew Leaf

This sounds like Ni. Was the guy from the podcast a Ni dom?

I actually have always thought he was ENTP actually. But this podcast was extremely Ni and just glorious. He had another one on quantum physics a few weeks ago that left me with stars in my eyes by the end of it.

I love the idea of looking at something and seeing something completely different and yet connected somehow. There is no better way to view things.

A

Anew Leaf

Ugh. If Leonardo DiCaprio was in my head, I would shoot myself.

I sort of think everyone keeps their child self within them.

Interesting. Like our innocent, pure self that is still untainted by the world?

Isn't this basically the idea of the persona? That we all wear a mask and hide our true selves?

I don't know, honestly. I wear so many masks and my mood fluctuates so frequently that I'm not really sure what my "true self" is anymore...

Mm, I am trying to think of this is in other terms instead of the usual "masks" and "personas."

Like inside of all of us is a star waiting to burst out in all its shiny glory, but because of experiences we have in this world, we learn to encase that star so much we can only see poky bits of fluffy light every now and again.

I definitely keep a large part of my true self hidden. I keep the most vulnerable part inside. It's a self preservation thing. I'm my experience, most people can't be trusted...so, I don't.

Yes. I constantly have to relearn how untrustworthy people are. Each time it's like the first time all over again.

But I keep on trusting because if I don't then I am letting them win.

It is very difficult to expose those tender bits, however, and so uncomfortable.

I don't like the idea of masks personally... I don't feel that I wear them. It's more like armor than a mask. I'm super sensitive actually so it's just to protect the squishy bits.

Or like I said earlier... It's just the child and the outer self is the parent.

Maybe... Idk lady! What do you think?

Hmm, I like this idea of armor versus masks. I think that is quite true for me too. I am always, ridiculously so, myself with people. But with some I let them wander around freely in my Ne shrubbery and flower maze, and other people the maze is made of stone walls.

Imo your "true self" is only allowed to emerge if it is nurtured. Unfortunately the various stressors of life tend to obfuscate hidden gems as we try to protect our core.

Yes, I can definitely see that. Our hidden selves often need to be coaxed out into the open like frightened fawns who have lost their mothers. At the first hint of wing above they scatter back into the forest.

I tend to show a quiet, pleasant side where I smile more than speak, and try to stay positive in what I say to people. My more private aspects have to do with parts of me that fall outside the norm, the negative feelings, the humor and childlike aspects, the parts that would surprise people. I show more of that online than in person.

Interesting perspective. I feel that I have more to say on this but I wish to think further.

I think we can know parts of our true selves. I think the most we learn about ourselves, the more we can become our true selves. Eventually we will cross the event horizon and the gravity over who we are will take over and we can't help but be simply our truest self without external taint.

Well, technically, since our own vision is subjected and clouded, there are parts of ourselves we can't really see (kind of like if we're sitting inside an airplane, we can't see all of the airplane in ways that people standing a distance away can see it). So to have our best chance, we're always triangulating data. But I don't think we ever totally "know ourselves," even if we can get a good general idea of who we are and also experience misery when we are consistently being forced to behave in ways that run counter to our own inclinations.

At times, also, I thought I knew myself, but then I would do or say something that exposed a new part of me not just to others but to myself as well -- those moments were discoveries for me as well.

It is always so delightful to be surprised by oneself. I am both alarmed and excited when I blindside myself on a part of me that I hadn't considered before.

It's nice to think that we are our own last frontier to be explored in life.

A

Anew Leaf

this is a really pretty visual, sprinkles. I like it a lot. you encompassed a new thought and point that I will have to think about for a bit before responding in more detail. :)

P.s. Not everybody likes onions. you know what else has layers? CAKE! Everybody loves cake!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a tricky thing tho because I don't think everyone is capable of seeing the same picture. It is always going to be skewed by your particular way of seeing things.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's a tricky thing tho because I don't think everyone is capable of seeing the same picture. It is always going to be skewed by your particular way of seeing things.

Or how some people just see what others say instead seeing on there own.