• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

True Self vs Shown Self

W

WALMART

I see the plant stowed inside a seed, much as i seek other's true selves.

I wear a mask, but I also view persona as a duality of nature.

Reading other's posts, I see I am not alone.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes I think your true self is what is already there. Being yourself and being yourself are different things. One is authenticity, which can be great but that isn't what we always do.

The other is more like seeing what is there. It's less about being and more about awareness. Your true self is already what you are and what you've always had since you were born. You don't be it, you are it, even unaware.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was listening to a podcast this week discussing the concept of our true self versus the self we are showing currently.

The examples given were that we can see a seed and to us it is just a seed. We don't see the plant or the tree or the flower that is hidden inside of it. Or we see a caterpillar and don't realize that a butterfly is inside of it. Or we simply see each other and don't realize that someone else is inside of us.

Do you think this is true about your own self? If so, do you know what it is inside of you that no one sees? If not, do you think you are showing your true self quite often?

I'm fairly lacking in self-awareness, so more often than not, others see things in me that I don't see in myself. That's generally only true of people I'm fairly close to. Generally, I know I'm highly contained in my presentation. People see what they're supposed to see, and very few people see all aspects of me.

I'm not certain what constitutes my "true self", however. Perhaps I've gotten so caught up in projecting what ought to be that I've lost sight of what is.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I dont show my true self to most peopl. Most see my intelectual side, my work side, etc. Those close see my playful side and those even closer see my sexual side. On here I tend to show everything as I dont really have a crowd in front of me, just a screen.

G

Ginkgo

As long as you actively try to see yourself, seeking your true self is like looking to your left and to your right at the same time. At worst, you'll create one perception after another, all built in the confines of prior perceptions. No, the true way of experiencing yourself (which, I might add, is entirely different than conceptualizing yourself) is by believing that someone else knows you.

Mole

Permabanned
The Faustian Bargain

The price we pay for mbti is our true self.

Mbti is cunning - it codifies our false self, our personality, in a mock scientific jargon - it appeals to our gullibility - it takes advantage of our vulnerability. It promises understanding of ourself and others - all at a price: and the price is our true self.

Dr Faustus sold his soul to Lucifer just as we sell our soul, our true self, to mbti.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You are always yourself. However, your "true" self is manifested when you are in the places, with the people, and doing the things that bring out the highest and the lowest of you. The more you have in common with someone is when you are more likey to have a deep connection and feel like they are from the same planet and speak the same language.

A

Anew Leaf

I'm fairly lacking in self-awareness, so more often than not, others see things in me that I don't see in myself. That's generally only true of people I'm fairly close to. Generally, I know I'm highly contained in my presentation. People see what they're supposed to see, and very few people see all aspects of me.

I'm not certain what constitutes my "true self", however. Perhaps I've gotten so caught up in projecting what ought to be that I've lost sight of what is.

:) Sometimes we need others to be the still pools of water we look into.

It sounds like a journey to the land of Fi is in order. I wrote a guide book on it. For a small fee of [1 Soul], it can be yours!!

I dont show my true self to most peopl. Most see my intelectual side, my work side, etc. Those close see my playful side and those even closer see my sexual side. On here I tend to show everything as I dont really have a crowd in front of me, just a screen.

That's an interesting idea. The screen versus a crowd.

As long as you actively try to see yourself, seeking your true self is like looking to your left and to your right at the same time. At worst, you'll create one perception after another, all built in the confines of prior perceptions. No, the true way of experiencing yourself (which, I might add, is entirely different than conceptualizing yourself) is by believing that someone else knows you.

Hmm, that's a different viewpoint here.

A part of me agrees with this assessment. Although, I find that it is more akin to that rare moment when I meet someone that I actively want to show everything I am to, that I begin to see who I am.

You are always yourself. However, your "true" self is manifested when you are in the places, with the people, and doing the things that bring out the highest and the lowest of you. The more you have in common with someone is when you are more likey to have a deep connection and feel like they are from the same planet and speak the same language.

I like this.

The height of our Pacific. The depths of our Everest.

G

garbage

I've largely abandoned the search on 'true self.' Not out of despair, but because I feel that I've done most of the searching that I can and that to do any more soul-searching is tantamount to getting 'stuck.' From one perspective, the 'self' is like any other issue--it needs to be analyzed and then acted upon, lest we get 'stuck.' To 'act' upon the self is to continually improve oneself, which drives absolutely everything else that we do.

Nowadays, I've taken to projecting some sort of ideal shown self--both outwardly and to myself--and then trying to live up to that ideal. If I demonstrate or project certain traits, then I've essentially made a commitment--telling myself and the outside world that I am something--and I strive to live up to my commitments. I set the bar higher and higher in the process.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The world of the mind is on a separate plane from the physical world so it logically follows that the true self is not the same as the shown self though there may be some elegant connections.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Forget not the "shadow" self, for it tends to be an unpleasant surprise visitor. ;)

A

Anew Leaf

The world of the mind is on a separate plane from the physical world so it logically follows that the true self is not the same as the shown self though there may be some elegant connections.

Oh Raptorwizard. Stockholm Syndrome is real and I am its newest victim for I find myself enjoying this post by you.

Forget not the "shadow" self, for it tends to be an unpleasant surprise visitor. ;)

I fully embrace my shadow self for it follows me so faithfully.

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was listening to a podcast this week discussing the concept of our true self versus the self we are showing currently.

The examples given were that we can see a seed and to us it is just a seed. We don't see the plant or the tree or the flower that is hidden inside of it. Or we see a caterpillar and don't realize that a butterfly is inside of it. Or we simply see each other and don't realize that someone else is inside of us.

Do you think this is true about your own self? If so, do you know what it is inside of you that no one sees? If not, do you think you are showing your true self quite often?

Yes. I think...a lot. So sometimes the decisions I make seem hasty, or without examination of all sides. I don't say why I made the decision, so I may appear selfish and reactive.

But whatever "weirdness" I have just manifests itself. I can't hide it (too damn old). :shrug: I have no other way I can be.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dont believe Master Yoda is wrong.
I was going to say he is right only in his own fantasy universe, far far away, but I'm not sure he is right even there. His approach has a certain effectiveness in getting results, but that is not the same.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that with all of the posts in this thread, most of what I have to say has already been covered.

But, I'll post anyway. :smile:

I think we're always being 'ourselves', even if we're hiding a portion, or putting any number of veneers, either partial or full, to navigate whatever environment we find ourselves in. I don't even think this is a negative thing all of the time; I think soon after we're born, we begin picking up on cues, and learning and reacting and assessing how different things we do will ilicit different reactions from others, saying certain things in certain environments could have negative consequences, etc. Also over time learning that for various reasons others may try to take advantage of any number of things, to *their* advantage - it's like a constant dynamic thing, everyone simultaneously learning to interact with one another, trying to figure out how they fit into the world around them, constant adjustment, give and take, learning to let go of certain aspects of our individual Egos so as to be able to interact with others and to be able to give to and love others.

So I'm not even sure what the 'true self' is. Because ourselves minus others is... what? No reference point, really. Would it be our infant self the minute we're born, prior to learning we're not the only person in the world? 100% ego?

So I guess my point is, is I think the shell around the 'seed' is very much our 'true self' too, as each of us develops our own unique 'shell', or way to interact with others - of knowing we're not the only people on the planet. And that level will vary from one person to the next, so everyone is still unique in that sense.

I think we could all lock ourselves in relative isolation for a long while, in the attempt to 'know ourselves' and figure out who we are, and I think that will give us a certain amount of self-awareness, for sure. But the minute we're then placed in the company of others, all or much of that becomes irrelevant, because there's a whole other layer of Self that we then don't know - we don't know who we are in relation to others, and how we in fact want these relationships to be - so we're just as lost / unknowing of ourselves minus others, as wholly with others. It's definitely a balance - and I think both components are necessary to learning who we are and learning our 'true selves'.

(myself, for the record... I have a pretty stunted understanding of 'who I am' in relation to others)

A

Anew Leaf

Yes. I think...a lot. So sometimes the decisions I make seem hasty, or without examination of all sides. I don't say why I made the decision, so I may appear selfish and reactive.

But whatever "weirdness" I have just manifests itself. I can't hide it (too damn old). :shrug: I have no other way I can be.

Yes. It can be hard sometimes to show where we are coming from on decision making when it's the external byproduct of internal workings. And from certain angles the decision can look selfish, when perhaps from yet another angle it makes perfect sense.

I was going to say he is right only in his own fantasy universe, far far away, but I'm not sure he is right even there. His approach has a certain effectiveness in getting results, but that is not the same.

Fe versus Te? :)