User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

Forget not the "shadow" self, for it tends to be an unpleasant surprise visitor.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    The world of the mind is on a separate plane from the physical world so it logically follows that the true self is not the same as the shown self though there may be some elegant connections.
    Oh Raptorwizard. Stockholm Syndrome is real and I am its newest victim for I find myself enjoying this post by you.

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Forget not the "shadow" self, for it tends to be an unpleasant surprise visitor.
    I fully embrace my shadow self for it follows me so faithfully.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Avoid the darkside you will.

Attachment 8272

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Do this, and you reject half of yourself.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Anew Leaf

Attachment 8272
    Lol. I always appreciate a Star Wars quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Do this, and you reject half of yourself.
    ... but Coriolis is 100% correct.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Lol. I always appreciate a Star Wars quote.

... but Coriolis is 100% correct.
    I dont believe Master Yoda is wrong.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I was listening to a podcast this week discussing the concept of our true self versus the self we are showing currently.

The examples given were that we can see a seed and to us it is just a seed. We don't see the plant or the tree or the flower that is hidden inside of it. Or we see a caterpillar and don't realize that a butterfly is inside of it. Or we simply see each other and don't realize that someone else is inside of us.

Do you think this is true about your own self? If so, do you know what it is inside of you that no one sees? If not, do you think you are showing your true self quite often?
    Yes. I think...a lot. So sometimes the decisions I make seem hasty, or without examination of all sides. I don't say why I made the decision, so I may appear selfish and reactive.

But whatever "weirdness" I have just manifests itself. I can't hide it (too damn old). I have no other way I can be.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I dont believe Master Yoda is wrong.
    I was going to say he is right only in his own fantasy universe, far far away, but I'm not sure he is right even there. His approach has a certain effectiveness in getting results, but that is not the same.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I think that with all of the posts in this thread, most of what I have to say has already been covered.

But, I'll post anyway.

I think we're always being 'ourselves', even if we're hiding a portion, or putting any number of veneers, either partial or full, to navigate whatever environment we find ourselves in. I don't even think this is a negative thing all of the time; I think soon after we're born, we begin picking up on cues, and learning and reacting and assessing how different things we do will ilicit different reactions from others, saying certain things in certain environments could have negative consequences, etc. Also over time learning that for various reasons others may try to take advantage of any number of things, to *their* advantage - it's like a constant dynamic thing, everyone simultaneously learning to interact with one another, trying to figure out how they fit into the world around them, constant adjustment, give and take, learning to let go of certain aspects of our individual Egos so as to be able to interact with others and to be able to give to and love others.

So I'm not even sure what the 'true self' is. Because ourselves minus others is... what? No reference point, really. Would it be our infant self the minute we're born, prior to learning we're not the only person in the world? 100% ego?

So I guess my point is, is I think the shell around the 'seed' is very much our 'true self' too, as each of us develops our own unique 'shell', or way to interact with others - of knowing we're not the only people on the planet. And that level will vary from one person to the next, so everyone is still unique in that sense.

I think we could all lock ourselves in relative isolation for a long while, in the attempt to 'know ourselves' and figure out who we are, and I think that will give us a certain amount of self-awareness, for sure. But the minute we're then placed in the company of others, all or much of that becomes irrelevant, because there's a whole other layer of Self that we then don't know - we don't know who we are in relation to others, and how we in fact want these relationships to be - so we're just as lost / unknowing of ourselves minus others, as wholly with others. It's definitely a balance - and I think both components are necessary to learning who we are and learning our 'true selves'.

(myself, for the record... I have a pretty stunted understanding of 'who I am' in relation to others)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Quay View Post
    Yes. I think...a lot. So sometimes the decisions I make seem hasty, or without examination of all sides. I don't say why I made the decision, so I may appear selfish and reactive.

But whatever "weirdness" I have just manifests itself. I can't hide it (too damn old). I have no other way I can be.
    Yes. It can be hard sometimes to show where we are coming from on decision making when it's the external byproduct of internal workings. And from certain angles the decision can look selfish, when perhaps from yet another angle it makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I was going to say he is right only in his own fantasy universe, far far away, but I'm not sure he is right even there. His approach has a certain effectiveness in getting results, but that is not the same.
    Fe versus Te?