User Tag List

First 12345 Last

WALMART

I see the plant stowed inside a seed, much as i seek other's true selves.

I wear a mask, but I also view persona as a duality of nature.

Reading other's posts, I see I am not alone.

MBTI
    INFJ

Yes I think your true self is what is already there. Being yourself and being yourself are different things. One is authenticity, which can be great but that isn't what we always do.

The other is more like seeing what is there. It's less about being and more about awareness. Your true self is already what you are and what you've always had since you were born. You don't be it, you are it, even unaware.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I was listening to a podcast this week discussing the concept of our true self versus the self we are showing currently.

The examples given were that we can see a seed and to us it is just a seed. We don't see the plant or the tree or the flower that is hidden inside of it. Or we see a caterpillar and don't realize that a butterfly is inside of it. Or we simply see each other and don't realize that someone else is inside of us.

Do you think this is true about your own self? If so, do you know what it is inside of you that no one sees? If not, do you think you are showing your true self quite often?
    I'm fairly lacking in self-awareness, so more often than not, others see things in me that I don't see in myself. That's generally only true of people I'm fairly close to. Generally, I know I'm highly contained in my presentation. People see what they're supposed to see, and very few people see all aspects of me.

I'm not certain what constitutes my "true self", however. Perhaps I've gotten so caught up in projecting what ought to be that I've lost sight of what is.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    STP

I dont show my true self to most peopl. Most see my intelectual side, my work side, etc. Those close see my playful side and those even closer see my sexual side. On here I tend to show everything as I dont really have a crowd in front of me, just a screen.
    Im out, its been fun

Ginkgo

As long as you actively try to see yourself, seeking your true self is like looking to your left and to your right at the same time. At worst, you'll create one perception after another, all built in the confines of prior perceptions. No, the true way of experiencing yourself (which, I might add, is entirely different than conceptualizing yourself) is by believing that someone else knows you.

The Faustian Bargain

The price we pay for mbti is our true self.

Mbti is cunning - it codifies our false self, our personality, in a mock scientific jargon - it appeals to our gullibility - it takes advantage of our vulnerability. It promises understanding of ourself and others - all at a price: and the price is our true self.

Dr Faustus sold his soul to Lucifer just as we sell our soul, our true self, to mbti.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

You are always yourself. However, your "true" self is manifested when you are in the places, with the people, and doing the things that bring out the highest and the lowest of you. The more you have in common with someone is when you are more likey to have a deep connection and feel like they are from the same planet and speak the same language.
    I N V I C T U S

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I'm fairly lacking in self-awareness, so more often than not, others see things in me that I don't see in myself. That's generally only true of people I'm fairly close to. Generally, I know I'm highly contained in my presentation. People see what they're supposed to see, and very few people see all aspects of me.

I'm not certain what constitutes my "true self", however. Perhaps I've gotten so caught up in projecting what ought to be that I've lost sight of what is.
    Sometimes we need others to be the still pools of water we look into.

It sounds like a journey to the land of Fi is in order. I wrote a guide book on it. For a small fee of [1 Soul], it can be yours!!

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    I dont show my true self to most peopl. Most see my intelectual side, my work side, etc. Those close see my playful side and those even closer see my sexual side. On here I tend to show everything as I dont really have a crowd in front of me, just a screen.
    That's an interesting idea. The screen versus a crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    As long as you actively try to see yourself, seeking your true self is like looking to your left and to your right at the same time. At worst, you'll create one perception after another, all built in the confines of prior perceptions. No, the true way of experiencing yourself (which, I might add, is entirely different than conceptualizing yourself) is by believing that someone else knows you.
    Hmm, that's a different viewpoint here.

A part of me agrees with this assessment. Although, I find that it is more akin to that rare moment when I meet someone that I actively want to show everything I am to, that I begin to see who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    You are always yourself. However, your "true" self is manifested when you are in the places, with the people, and doing the things that bring out the highest and the lowest of you. The more you have in common with someone is when you are more likey to have a deep connection and feel like they are from the same planet and speak the same language.
    I like this.

The height of our Pacific. The depths of our Everest.

garbage

I've largely abandoned the search on 'true self.' Not out of despair, but because I feel that I've done most of the searching that I can and that to do any more soul-searching is tantamount to getting 'stuck.' From one perspective, the 'self' is like any other issue--it needs to be analyzed and then acted upon, lest we get 'stuck.' To 'act' upon the self is to continually improve oneself, which drives absolutely everything else that we do.

Nowadays, I've taken to projecting some sort of ideal shown self--both outwardly and to myself--and then trying to live up to that ideal. If I demonstrate or project certain traits, then I've essentially made a commitment--telling myself and the outside world that I am something--and I strive to live up to my commitments. I set the bar higher and higher in the process.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

The world of the mind is on a separate plane from the physical world so it logically follows that the true self is not the same as the shown self though there may be some elegant connections.