User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 60

  1. #11
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    I tend to show a quiet, pleasant side where I smile more than speak, and try to stay positive in what I say to people. My more private aspects have to do with parts of me that fall outside the norm, the negative feelings, the humor and childlike aspects, the parts that would surprise people. I show more of that online than in person.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  2. #12
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    True self is often confused with inner self.

    True self is like an orange. It has an outside and an inside, but together it is the whole orange.

    Or a less tasty and more accurate example would be an onion. It has many layers. The whole thing is the onion, right down to the middle. All the layers are onion, there is no 'true onion' but the onion itself. Some parts of it are just deeper inside.

    Your outer self is still part of yourself because yourself has it - it's not somebody else's outer self, it is yours.
    Good post. Thanks for clearing away the confusion on that point... it's who you are, in total, it's not necessarily either the inner or outer (especially on an MBTI site with extraverts and introverts).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #13
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,484

    Default

    Can a person really know their own true self? Something tells me there's just something about us that we can't see by necessity, like trying to catch seeing ourselves blink in the mirror. There also has to be something we just can't show, but I bet we indicate it, even if we don't know what it is.

  4. #14
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Can a person really know their own true self? Something tells me there's just something about us that we can't see by necessity, like trying to catch seeing ourselves blink in the mirror. There also has to be something we just can't show, but I bet we indicate it, even if we don't know what it is.
    Well, technically, since our own vision is subjected and clouded, there are parts of ourselves we can't really see (kind of like if we're sitting inside an airplane, we can't see all of the airplane in ways that people standing a distance away can see it). So to have our best chance, we're always triangulating data. But I don't think we ever totally "know ourselves," even if we can get a good general idea of who we are and also experience misery when we are consistently being forced to behave in ways that run counter to our own inclinations.

    At times, also, I thought I knew myself, but then I would do or say something that exposed a new part of me not just to others but to myself as well -- those moments were discoveries for me as well.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    The examples given were that we can see a seed and to us it is just a seed. We don't see the plant or the tree or the flower that is hidden inside of it. Or we see a caterpillar and don't realize that a butterfly is inside of it.
    This sounds like Ni. Was the guy from the podcast a Ni dom?

  6. #16
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Istbkleta View Post
    This sounds like Ni. Was the guy from the podcast a Ni dom?
    I actually have always thought he was ENTP actually. But this podcast was extremely Ni and just glorious. He had another one on quantum physics a few weeks ago that left me with stars in my eyes by the end of it.

    I love the idea of looking at something and seeing something completely different and yet connected somehow. There is no better way to view things.

  7. #17
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Ugh. If Leonardo DiCaprio was in my head, I would shoot myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    I sort of think everyone keeps their child self within them.
    Interesting. Like our innocent, pure self that is still untainted by the world?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Isn't this basically the idea of the persona? That we all wear a mask and hide our true selves?

    I don't know, honestly. I wear so many masks and my mood fluctuates so frequently that I'm not really sure what my "true self" is anymore...
    Mm, I am trying to think of this is in other terms instead of the usual "masks" and "personas."

    Like inside of all of us is a star waiting to burst out in all its shiny glory, but because of experiences we have in this world, we learn to encase that star so much we can only see poky bits of fluffy light every now and again.

    Quote Originally Posted by metalmommy View Post
    I definitely keep a large part of my true self hidden. I keep the most vulnerable part inside. It's a self preservation thing. I'm my experience, most people can't be trusted...so, I don't.
    Yes. I constantly have to relearn how untrustworthy people are. Each time it's like the first time all over again.

    But I keep on trusting because if I don't then I am letting them win.

    It is very difficult to expose those tender bits, however, and so uncomfortable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    I don't like the idea of masks personally... I don't feel that I wear them. It's more like armor than a mask. I'm super sensitive actually so it's just to protect the squishy bits.

    Or like I said earlier... It's just the child and the outer self is the parent.

    Maybe... Idk lady! What do you think?
    Hmm, I like this idea of armor versus masks. I think that is quite true for me too. I am always, ridiculously so, myself with people. But with some I let them wander around freely in my Ne shrubbery and flower maze, and other people the maze is made of stone walls.


    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Imo your "true self" is only allowed to emerge if it is nurtured. Unfortunately the various stressors of life tend to obfuscate hidden gems as we try to protect our core.
    Yes, I can definitely see that. Our hidden selves often need to be coaxed out into the open like frightened fawns who have lost their mothers. At the first hint of wing above they scatter back into the forest.

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    True self is often confused with inner self.

    True self is like an orange. It has an outside and an inside, but together it is the whole orange.

    Or a less tasty and more accurate example would be an onion. It has many layers. The whole thing is the onion, right down to the middle. All the layers are onion, there is no 'true onion' but the onion itself. Some parts of it are just deeper inside.

    Your outer self is still part of yourself because yourself has it - it's not somebody else's outer self, it is yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I tend to show a quiet, pleasant side where I smile more than speak, and try to stay positive in what I say to people. My more private aspects have to do with parts of me that fall outside the norm, the negative feelings, the humor and childlike aspects, the parts that would surprise people. I show more of that online than in person.
    Interesting perspective. I feel that I have more to say on this but I wish to think further.


    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Can a person really know their own true self? Something tells me there's just something about us that we can't see by necessity, like trying to catch seeing ourselves blink in the mirror. There also has to be something we just can't show, but I bet we indicate it, even if we don't know what it is.
    I think we can know parts of our true selves. I think the most we learn about ourselves, the more we can become our true selves. Eventually we will cross the event horizon and the gravity over who we are will take over and we can't help but be simply our truest self without external taint.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, technically, since our own vision is subjected and clouded, there are parts of ourselves we can't really see (kind of like if we're sitting inside an airplane, we can't see all of the airplane in ways that people standing a distance away can see it). So to have our best chance, we're always triangulating data. But I don't think we ever totally "know ourselves," even if we can get a good general idea of who we are and also experience misery when we are consistently being forced to behave in ways that run counter to our own inclinations.

    At times, also, I thought I knew myself, but then I would do or say something that exposed a new part of me not just to others but to myself as well -- those moments were discoveries for me as well.
    It is always so delightful to be surprised by oneself. I am both alarmed and excited when I blindside myself on a part of me that I hadn't considered before.

    It's nice to think that we are our own last frontier to be explored in life.

  8. #18
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    True self is often confused with inner self.

    True self is like an orange. It has an outside and an inside, but together it is the whole orange.

    Or a less tasty and more accurate example would be an onion. It has many layers. The whole thing is the onion, right down to the middle. All the layers are onion, there is no 'true onion' but the onion itself. Some parts of it are just deeper inside.

    Your outer self is still part of yourself because yourself has it - it's not somebody else's outer self, it is yours.
    this is a really pretty visual, sprinkles. I like it a lot. you encompassed a new thought and point that I will have to think about for a bit before responding in more detail.

    P.s. Not everybody likes onions. you know what else has layers? CAKE! Everybody loves cake!

  9. #19
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    It's a tricky thing tho because I don't think everyone is capable of seeing the same picture. It is always going to be skewed by your particular way of seeing things.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    It's a tricky thing tho because I don't think everyone is capable of seeing the same picture. It is always going to be skewed by your particular way of seeing things.
    Or how some people just see what others say instead seeing on there own.
    Im out, its been fun

Similar Threads

  1. The Hatred of the True Self
    By Mole in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-10-2015, 02:10 PM
  2. The True Self and the False Self
    By Mole in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 03:51 PM
  3. [NT] On values. Stability vs plasticity. Recursive self improvement. Pure P.
    By ocean in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2010, 10:08 AM
  4. Bad true things about you (shake your self-pity away, THEN write plz)
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 12:33 AM
  5. Self Awareness vs. Self Criticism
    By Mempy in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-13-2008, 06:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO