User Tag List

123 Last

Default Why do some people don't want anything?

I hope to get some answers from exactly those people, and I bet there are such around here.

I had this friend: he always used to tell me that he doesn't want anything, especially as he was getting older. When he was younger, he used to drink a lot, smoke a lot, as he was going by the "we live only once" logic, while later he decided to set on the, kind of gangster-like, "smoke weed and do absolutely nothing" kind of life. He doesn't seem to care if it's with his friends or not, although he'd much prefer it with friends. Otherwise he plays poker or some easy-going video game, however in the end - his goal is to smoke weed, as much as possible, every day. No job, no school, just living with his parents and not caring about much.

I could never understand this guy. We were discussing why he doesn't want anything, he couldn't answer, even thought about it, but couldn't answer. I haven't seen him for a year or two, when he got even more "like that."

P.S. Not looking for any info about me or my ex-friend, I'm looking for general thoughts about such behavior. Especially from those who think the same.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Well im somewhat inbetween in that I often believe I dont want anything......followed by occasional panicking over a thought that tells me I should want something.

I dont know how much of this can be put down to inherency in an individual, or how much the environment of their growth plays a part, but ive always thought those with ambition have always had it, whereas those who dont; have never been able to grasp it. I think ive said before that if I could live my life with my close friends, family and doing the things ive always done as well as enjoying the hobbies ive always enjoyed...I would be content.

And contentedness is the death of progress really, it means you are happy with what you have; which is always going to be a bittersweet indulgence.

I suppose for myself it stems from some kind of internal fear or maybe it's about being sensible and understanding your limitations and failings. One of the wisest things for a person in my opinion is to correctly evaluate their own short-comings and qualities and then find out their own niche of satisfaction.

I do wonder though, ive met similar people and I have mused on whether or not they really do want nothing? Or is it that they are too afraid to admit they want something and try for it?

I would say im the latter and im not going to dance around or deny it. To put it simply: If you dont want anything, you dont have to try for anything and so there is no risk of failure or lost potential.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

why do some people want everything?

MBTI
    eNFJ

Depression.
    - MB

enlightenment.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I dunno. I don't smoke weed, but I'm not terribly ambitious or energetic. I don't like being told what to do and when you are dependent on others they get to tell you what to do. I do want stuff, but if I wasn't being told what to do, had shelter, food, and a library card I have doubts I'd be very motivated. I'd probably work just enough to buy clothes, shoes, restaurant meals, and the occasional electronic device.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Well im somewhat inbetween in that I often believe I dont want anything......followed by occasional panicking over a thought that tells me I should want something.
    Why panicking?

I dont know how much of this can be put down to inherency in an individual, or how much the environment of their growth plays a part, but ive always thought those with ambition have always had it, whereas those who dont; have never been able to grasp it. I think ive said before that if I could live my life with my close friends, family and doing the things ive always done as well as enjoying the hobbies ive always enjoyed...I would be content.

And contentedness is the death of progress really, it means you are happy with what you have; which is always going to be a bittersweet indulgence.
    I'm all up for progress, evolution, upgrades, updates, improvements, advancements, augmentation, development.

I suppose for myself it stems from some kind of internal fear or maybe it's about being sensible and understanding your limitations and failings. One of the wisest things for a person in my opinion is to correctly evaluate their own short-comings and qualities and then find out their own niche of satisfaction.
    Is this a niche of satisfaction, or did I misunderstood you: getting up at exactly 6am, doing exactly the same things: kiss your wife, make coffee, say hi to your children, etc., every morning, go to work and be there at exactly 8:01am, go back home, have exactly the same, routinely set, dinner, watch something somewhat predictable on TV, have sex, go to bed. Sometimes, throughout the year, you have your family and friends over for various celebrations, but still - it's the same routine, except it repeats itself every year instead of every month, week or day. Or do you mean a bit less routine, but generally the same thing (different food, different pair of shoes, sometimes friends come unpredictably, etc.)? Whichever is the case, it's still routine, and for me - it would be absolutely unenjoyable.

However, the subject talks not about routine, it takes about someone who "just lives" his life, doesn't want anything except perhaps one thing (sex, weed, alcohol, etc.).

I do wonder though, ive met similar people and I have mused on whether or not they really do want nothing? Or is it that they are too afraid to admit they want something and try for it?

I would say im the latter and im not going to dance around or deny it. To put it simply: If you dont want anything, you dont have to try for anything and so there is no risk of failure or lost potential.
    About that particular guy, he really seemed like he doesn't care about anything. He's okay with living with his parents, even though one of them doesn't have a job, smoke weed, have the same computer, no car, etc.. He doesn't want that, he wants to "just smoke weed." The rest seems to be immediate wishes, something that comes and goes. He may want a car for 20 minutes when he's high, the other day or in half an hour, he doesn't anymore.

Potential is lost when someone isn't doing something they would be good at, therefore, there's more lost potential than if you were trying to do something and failed at it.

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    why do some people want everything?
    Create a new thread for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ms.behaving View Post
    Depression.
    Nope, no depression.

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    enlightenment.
    I assume this is an answer to the question of chana's.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I dunno. I don't smoke weed, but I'm not terribly ambitious or energetic. I don't like being told what to do and when you are dependent on others they get to tell you what to do. I do want stuff, but if I wasn't being told what to do, had shelter, food, and a library card I have doubts I'd be very motivated. I'd probably work just enough to buy clothes, shoes, restaurant meals, and the occasional electronic device.
    No car, no house, no computer upgrades, no mobile phone upgrades (or whatever the teens (not saying you're a teen) are in these days, iPads?), just basic stuff that you wouldn't replace until it has holes in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post

I assume this is an answer to the question of chana's.
    @ bold: it's your prerogative; but why? An no, it's towards the thread title.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

I'm not sure how enlightened you can get by wanting nothing.

I'm not sure how enlightened you can get by wanting nothing.