User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think excessive weed-smoking numbs the soul...
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I think excessive weed-smoking numbs the soul...
    And what happens if there was a dark abyss with no ground instead of a soul ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Have you never wanted something, but decided that getting it wouldn't be worth it, for one reason or another?
    Even if there wouldn't be a way to get something, I'd still want it. However, there's always a way to get it, whatever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    And what happens if there was a dark abyss with no ground instead of a soul ?
    Then the dark abyss fades from dark to black (RGB(0, 0, 0))?

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    I hope to get some answers from exactly those people, and I bet there are such around here.

I had this friend: he always used to tell me that he doesn't want anything, especially as he was getting older. When he was younger, he used to drink a lot, smoke a lot, as he was going by the "we live only once" logic, while later he decided to set on the, kind of gangster-like, "smoke weed and do absolutely nothing" kind of life. He doesn't seem to care if it's with his friends or not, although he'd much prefer it with friends. Otherwise he plays poker or some easy-going video game, however in the end - his goal is to smoke weed, as much as possible, every day. No job, no school, just living with his parents and not caring about much.

I could never understand this guy. We were discussing why he doesn't want anything, he couldn't answer, even thought about it, but couldn't answer. I haven't seen him for a year or two, when he got even more "like that."

P.S. Not looking for any info about me or my ex-friend, I'm looking for general thoughts about such behavior. Especially from those who think the same.
    You're not going to understand his motivations unless you ask him for them. From the outside, it sounds like he's depressed and withdrawing from society, and has become dependent on the drug and his parents, who owe it to him to eject him. He's not addressing his basic human needs and it's eventually going to destroy him.

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    enlightenment.
    I don't think so. I understand where you're going with regard to the thread title (as you said), but this isn't the same thing (as described in the OP) in my opinion.

I'm not sure how enlightened you can get by wanting nothing.
    Huh?
    It's a central concept to Buddhism. When we want nothing, we are free of attachments, which is an ideal. It allows us to exist in the moment and not concern ourselves with the past or future. I don't think it applies to your friend here though, as he is attached to his addiction and his sloth and harming his body. I think these run counter to enlightenment.

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    My ex neighbor had a step son like that, age 31, never had a job, smoked weed all day like your friend and played PS3. No goals, no plans, no accomplishments, he justed wanted to BE. I blame the weed frankly.
    I've seen some of this in one or two of my friends, too. Luckily they seem to have pulled out of that spiral and taken on some more concrete responsibilities. Unfortunately they were destroyed financially by this and other factors, and that's making their lives very hard now. But, I don't blame the drug, I blame them for falling to the addiction. While addiction is a disease, it is one we can avoid. I blame my father for his alcoholism as well, which was a key part of destroying his life.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

That something you find enjoying becomes routine after a while.
    You might have to explain that to me. It certainly doesn't work like that for me unless you apply fun ONLY to the most specific actions....such as eating a single mars bar every morning.

For example ive been in my hobby, Warhammer for years, but it is not a routine, (except maybe in the 2 times a week meetups at my local club but I have plenty of unorganised entertainment outside of that; to do with the hobby), but the point is that the game itself changes all the time, new releases, new rules, new game-sets.

The game is never routine to me because it always changes, the outlying framework is the same but the more important specifics change a great deal. So I can say: I enjoy playing Warhammer, but I dont enjoy it because it is a routine, I enjoy what newness I can get out of it.

Of course in your original post concerning this you set up your premise that something was routine because you didn't enjoy it, which didn't make any sense to me.

Which is this below:

Or do you mean a bit less routine, but generally the same thing (different food, different pair of shoes, sometimes friends come unpredictably, etc.)? Whichever is the case, it's still routine, and for me - it would be absolutely unenjoyable.
    When it comes to the bolded I have no idea what you would put under that heading, seeing as how the actual qualifier of what is 'still routine' is never specified so I cant really tell if what I just wrote would come under that or not. Personally I would say it is impossible for anyone to live their lives without repeated actions and most will have one or two that are repeated for entertainment purposes.

Of course if this entire point was to do with the general drudgery of modern life then that is an entirely different topic and not applicable to what I meant.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    You're not going to understand his motivations unless you ask him for them. From the outside, it sounds like he's depressed and withdrawing from society, and has become dependent on the drug and his parents, who owe it to him to eject him. He's not addressing his basic human needs and it's eventually going to destroy him.
    Specific to this guy, he "doesn't know," I think I've mentioned that somewhere too.

As for his parents - they are okay with him living there, don't give him shit for it, he's okay with it as well, as he doesn't need to do anything - clean, wash dishes, make food, nothing.

It's a central concept to Buddhism. When we want nothing, we are free of attachments, which is an ideal. It allows us to exist in the moment and not concern ourselves with the past or future. I don't think it applies to your friend here though, as he is attached to his addiction and his sloth and harming his body. I think these run counter to enlightenment.
    I wonder if most Buddhists are full of shit due to this reason.

Anyway, weed doesn't harm one's body that much. At least if it's good weed. And only as far as I know. Sure the smoke does harm, but if using a bong, there's little harm done.

I've seen some of this in one or two of my friends, too. Luckily they seem to have pulled out of that spiral and taken on some more concrete responsibilities. Unfortunately they were destroyed financially by this and other factors, and that's making their lives very hard now. But, I don't blame the drug, I blame them for falling to the addiction. While addiction is a disease, it is one we can avoid. I blame my father for his alcoholism as well, which was a key part of destroying his life.
    Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    You might have to explain that to me. It certainly doesn't work like that for me unless you apply fun ONLY to the most specific actions....such as eating a single mars bar every morning.

For example ive been in my hobby, Warhammer for years, but it is not a routine, (except maybe in the 2 times a week meetups at my local club but I have plenty of unorganised entertainment outside of that; to do with the hobby), but the point is that the game itself changes all the time, new releases, new rules, new game-sets.

The game is never routine to me because it always changes, the outlying framework is the same but the more important specifics change a great deal. So I can say: I enjoy playing Warhammer, but I dont enjoy it because it is a routine, I enjoy what newness I can get out of it.

Of course in your original post concerning this you set up your premise that something was routine because you didn't enjoy it, which didn't make any sense to me.
    I'm gonna explain this by using another game then. Counter Strike - I know you're familiar with this one. You can play it every day, and one can say it's different, not routinely, right? In a way it's true, every single round, every movement, every bullet fired are different due to the unpredictability of your teammates and the opposing team. Therefore, every second of the game is somewhat different. However, every time a round starts, you buy roughly the same weapons, grenades, armor, and choose one of 3 or so approaches to get to the enemy and kill them or complete the objective (mostly hostages or bombs). While the little details are different, the big picture is the same. Not only the framework, but also the big picture. You still do the same thing over and over again.

Little details aren't what makes it not a routine. The big picture is.

When it comes to the bolded I have no idea what you would put under that heading, seeing as how the actual qualifier of what is 'still routine' is never specified so I cant really tell if what I just wrote would come under that or not. Personally I would say it is impossible for anyone to live their lives without repeated actions and most will have one or two that are repeated for entertainment purposes.

Of course if this entire point was to do with the general drudgery of modern life then that is an entirely different topic and not applicable to what I meant.
    Woah, definitely not! I love the modern life - the more modern the better for me!

Of course everybody's gonna do the same thing over and over again. However the reasons matter, as well as the small/average details that affect the big picture. To continue the CS example: a new map, a new weapon - these things I call "average" details.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I'm gonna explain this by using another game then. Counter Strike - I know you're familiar with this one. You can play it every day, and one can say it's different, not routinely, right? In a way it's true, every single round, every movement, every bullet fired are different due to the unpredictability of your teammates and the opposing team. Therefore, every second of the game is somewhat different. However, every time a round starts, you buy roughly the same weapons, grenades, armor, and choose one of 3 or so approaches to get to the enemy and kill them or complete the objective (mostly hostages or bombs). While the little details are different, the big picture is the same. Not only the framework, but also the big picture. You still do the same thing over and over again.

Little details aren't what makes it not a routine. The big picture is.

Woah, definitely not! I love the modern life - the more modern the better for me!

Of course everybody's gonna do the same thing over and over again. However the reasons matter, as well as the small/average details that affect the big picture. To continue the CS example: a new map, a new weapon - these things I call "average" details.
    Yeah but CS can get boring if it is never altered and is just the same thing over and over. Other things in my life are made up of vastly more components and options than those available in basic CS.

As for details....well what exactly is this big picture? It seems to hold a priori over anything else from what you have explained.

Although I understand what you are aiming at, but to me it is only a matter of perspective. I would say that something is routine and dried up based on it's component parts, if it is fully explored then I can judge whether or not to throw it out as routine.

But rather than details think of it as objective vs subjective. Objectively you can say, this is Counterstrike, it is like this and thus a person is routinely playing the same game over and over and over. But subjectively an individual could go: hang on a second; yes I play the same rough framework over and over, in that it is Counterstrike in name, but it can be altered beyond all appearance by mods and additions, such as new maps and skins.

It can be built upon and changed into something unrecognisable that is fresh each time. For me that is the crux of this; the perspective and the options available. Some avenues are merely made up of routine elements, but often people are quick to call routine something which has yet to be fully explored.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The thread title reminds me of those Yahoo Q&A posts that ask shit like, ''how is babby formed?''
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Yeah but CS can get boring if it is never altered and is just the same thing over and over. Other things in my life are made up of vastly more components and options than those available in basic CS.

As for details....well what exactly is this big picture? It seems to hold a priori over anything else from what you have explained.

Although I understand what you are aiming at, but to me it is only a matter of perspective. I would say that something is routine and dried up based on it's component parts, if it is fully explored then I can judge whether or not to throw it out as routine.

But rather than details think of it as objective vs subjective. Objectively you can say, this is Counterstrike, it is like this and thus a person is routinely playing the same game over and over and over. But subjectively an individual could go: hang on a second; yes I play the same rough framework over and over, in that it is Counterstrike in name, but it can be altered beyond all appearance by mods and additions, such as new maps and skins.

It can be built upon and changed into something unrecognisable that is fresh each time. For me that is the crux of this; the perspective and the options available. Some avenues are merely made up of routine elements, but often people are quick to call routine something which has yet to be fully explored.
    Well, with that logic, we could say that taking a shower every morning at 6:31:24AM can be different. You can use different body gel, you can use different sponge, you can use different temperature water, you can use different soap, you can use different hair gel (or however they are called). You can use a different towel or different lights and music. It still is taking a shower: getting yourself wet, brushing yourself with a sponge with some gel on it, getting some sticky stuff into your hair and getting more wet again to wash it off, then drying yourself up with a towel. Therefore, I say that small details matter very little.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    The thread title reminds me of those Yahoo Q&A posts that ask shit like, ''how is babby formed?''
    There's contents too.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

There's contents too.

/win
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.